A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book of Hope Chunky Page  (Read 905 times)
Tags for this thread: chunky_page  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

microjivvy
« on: April 30, 2011 11:28:36 AM »

This "chunky page" was created for alteredmommy's 2011 "Book of Hope" -- for more about the Book of Hope, here are links to the previous years:

Book of Hope 2008
Book of Hope 2009
Book of Hope 2010

The dual themes for this year's pages are "hope" and "birds."  When I heard that I knew, just knew, I was going to use a quote from an Emily Dickinson poem. And even when I saw that someone in a previous year had the same idea, I wouldn't be dissuaded.

It's a really good idea. Wink

In the end, I didn't use a direct quote, but rather an "inspired by" phrase.  Here's the poem:

Hope is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I've heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

I ask you, with the given themes, how could I chose anything else? Wink

I started with an engraving of the Booted Racket-Tail, a South American hummingbird.  I chose these little lovelies because, while beautiful, they look a bit like something out of Dr. Seuss -- and what better combination to represent a mystical bird metaphor?

Using photos I found on the web for reference, I digitally painted the hummingbirds in Photoshop.

The hanging beads (oh how I love these beads) are from a (very broken) vintage necklace that I've been holding on to for, erm, ahem, 25+ years. I was certain I'd eventually find the perfect project for them and I now know it was worth boxing them up every time I moved.

And I only used a handful of the available beads so I can hoard hold onto the rest of them for the next Perfect Project.

The hanger is a bit of chain from another old broken necklace (yes, I do have a lot of old broken jewelry). As this page is to be part of a book, the hanger is more decorative than functional.  Just a nice bit to drape down the back of the page... and it amused me to add a feature that makes it seem like this was a found wall hanging re-purposed as a page in a book.

(Note to alteredmommy: I promise, the piece really is square.  I didn't notice how un-square it looks in the photos until after I already packed it up for shipping. lol)

I'm just addicted to using these tiny little grommets from Dollmaker's Journey. I love the finished look and added stability (better than just a punched hole) and they take a coat of paint (Polly Scale by Floquil) beautifully.

The tiny chain (40 links per square inch!) is pre-blackened brass chain that comes from the world of Model Train supplies.

I loved doing this piece and I hope it's a worthy addition to what I know will be a stunning "Book of Hope"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011 11:37:16 AM »

Love your page-I can almost feel the texture through my computer screen!  The hanging beads look gorgeous and the "quote" is perfect Grin  What a fabulous addition to the Book of Hope this year.....its going to be so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
calluna
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011 08:35:49 PM »

Oh dear, you've put my own chunky page-in-progress to shame! Amazing work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
Killam Creative
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011 07:46:06 PM »

Ah, this is delightful. The ED poem is beautiful and I am glad you were not dissuaded. "Hope... sings the tune without the words and never stops at all"

The hanging beads are a brilliant choice. They remind me of the lilting chimes in my own garden and provide a great accompaniment to the rhythm of the hummingbird's wings.

I'm still working on my page and am so proud to have it in the same book as yours and so many greats works. Cheers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't make it with your hands.
You form it with your hands.
You make it with your mind.
                Edgar Tolson, 1971

Pinterest
Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Trends Americans Want to See Go Away
How to Dress Like You Live in Paris
Bra Tips for Petite Women
Pairing Vintage with Designer
How to Make a Floral Headband
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...