A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,937
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bird nest supply station tutorial  (Read 9341 times)
Tags for this thread: spring , bird , nest , scrap , pagan , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011 01:38:17 PM »

This is so clever! I will TOTALLY be doing this later today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baygirl69
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011 06:11:11 PM »

yes! i wanna make one too!!! fun, fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Clarachk
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011 09:39:20 AM »

(And the bird lovers behind me collectively "AWWWWWWW!!!")

Awwww! This is so freaking sweet! I'd be tempted to hang this on my front door in place of my nearly-dead Christmas wreath :O) This would look GREAT! I was super excited to see that the base was a picnic plate holder thingy! (Sorry for lack of a more 'proper' name, LOL.) I always hated having to toss out the ratty-looking ones. Now I will have a reason to hoard these along with all the other crap I save because "it's NOT garbage! It can be beautiful too!" Your little tute here sites endless possibilites. Thank you for sharing it with us!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
AnnaAnna
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011 12:29:41 PM »

Very cool!  I just saw the thumbnail and thought to myself "that looks like a bird's nest" -- haha and it is! (or soon to be!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lunamadre
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011 08:14:33 PM »

(And the bird lovers behind me collectively "AWWWWWWW!!!")

Awwww! This is so freaking sweet! I'd be tempted to hang this on my front door in place of my nearly-dead Christmas wreath :O) This would look GREAT! I was super excited to see that the base was a picnic plate holder thingy! (Sorry for lack of a more 'proper' name, LOL.) I always hated having to toss out the ratty-looking ones. Now I will have a reason to hoard these along with all the other crap I save because "it's NOT garbage! It can be beautiful too!" Your little tute here sites endless possibilites. Thank you for sharing it with us!!!

You're so welcome!  I threw out some old baskets a while back and during this project i kicked myself.  lol I was looking so hard for the "perfect" basket or wreath, and I got so disgusted by the cost.  I mean, 8 dollars for a little grape vine wreath?  really?  Where I live I drive past acres of vineyards constantly, it seemed so dumb to buy one.  But I didn't have the patience or time to ask someone for some grape vine, soak it and then make one.  Some of the baskets were honestly too "nice" to purchase for this project.  I was getting so frustrated and then I saw the plates and figured it was worth a shot.  I do have to admit, it was great fun making something from basically nothing!  And it felt good to pull out the scrap bag and actually have a use for all the tiny pieces I thought I was crazy for keeping.

I noticed one piece of fabric sitting on the grass yesterday, but i haven't seen any action yet.  I did place it near our corn cob feeder that the blue jays are using...so I'm hoping the notice it.  I'm thinking of scattering some bird seed on the ground near it to attract the birds more...I'm worried it blends in too well and they haven't found it yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011 03:31:14 PM »

We did this as a school activity yesterday!
I didn't have a plate or basket but I had these little rattan balls from the dollar store. They worked really well, and the kids just used the eraser end of a pencil to poke the bits of yarn and fabric into the balls. They're not as wreath-like and pretty as yours, but the kids had a ton of fun with them.

They're hanging by our bird feeder and I've seen several birds visit them. This is SUCH an awesome idea, Lunamadre! Thank you!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011 03:32:54 PM by Longelegantlegs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunamadre
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011 05:06:46 AM »

OH how cute!!! I was looking at grapevine wreath balls and I wasn't thrilled with the cost...I didn't even think of checking a dollar store for those kind.  That works great!  Thanks for sharing the pics, now I want to go try that too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011 09:56:24 AM »

I forgot to post this in the Recycling Round Up and I can only post once, poop! One of you might want to enter this awesome project... http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=377431.msg4455456#msg4455456

I sorted through all the scraps but there were just too many to weave into a basket. We used a big deep basket and made a yarn "net" over top to hold it all in. It's on the deck with some bird seed so hopefully the birds and squirrels will make use of it if we're not too late for nest building.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
lunamadre
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011 11:01:03 AM »

wow, that's a big stash! lol  Looks like your yard will have many toasty warm critters this spring. 

afterthought:  My only concern is with the yarn netting you made....I'm worried birds might get entangled in it.  Undecided  I used the same technique on mine, but it's against a flat plate.  Once the critters start sticking their head on to get the scraps on the bottom of the basket, I'm worried they might get tangled up and trapped.  Maybe just keep an eye on it, or eliminate the yarn web?  One of my friends said she just sets out an uncovered basket full of fluff, and the birds use it just fine. 

by the way, the link doesn't work craftymonkey...what is it for? 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011 11:08:34 AM by lunamadre - Reason: afterthought » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011 11:38:09 AM »

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's a Friends of Craftster forum. You can become one though, it's very affordable, supports our lovely moderators and has great benefits. The link is to a thread about our fave recycled crafts, I have a feeling it's going to be a good one...

I'll keep an eye on the basket, good thing the string is on there because it's windy today and it's fallen off the table out there already. Have to think up something else to hold all that in. That was about a fifth of my shred stash BTW. I have a problem throwing things out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Doggie Bag Tote
How to Make 3D Felt Flowers
How to Knit a Blanket
How to Knit a Hat
How to Knit a Joke Condom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...