A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Plethora of Poppets Swap (Sign ups: CLOSED, Send out: 5/13)  (Read 18287 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fibreartist4life
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011 05:49:12 PM »

I have signed up for the matchbox swap and am finishing up the entry for the Twilight swap but I do love making poppets.  I will keep an eye on this and might enter near the end of the sign ups depending on how life decides to treat me.  I made a "Castiel" poppett ( I was an angel that made an angel how funny huh?) and he turned out pretty well.  I have been a doll maker for decades (yes I am old enough to say that).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011 06:37:50 PM »

Here are some fun themes that are floating around: masquerade ball, couture, vampires, faeries, lady gaga, a poppet that looks like you, mythical creatures
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011 10:59:13 PM »

Oh, so would love to do this but this is due just before finals.... I will have to watch fondly *sniff, sniff*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Singing the Back to School Blues

Poppet vs Ami - Received, Sent
squire_inaria
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011 01:20:18 AM »

That stinks about the timing, but I would be happy to do a personal poppet swap with you after if you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, you swap, we all swap! I love personal swaps (and I make poppets!) Smiley

Wist-y goodness

Check out my new shop; Ivy Moon Emporium[url]!
pkwj
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011 08:58:40 AM »

You have all convinced me...I am gonna send in my questionnaire at lunch.   Grin

I'll make one up ahead of time (probably 2 since once 1 kid sees it, the other one is gonna want one too.  Smiley)...then the swap poppet won't be my first.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011 11:54:29 AM »

Welcome to the swap, pkwj! So ladies who have bought suede for the poppets, could you share an exact link so I could get a better idea of what I need to buy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyrustyrobot
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011 12:27:11 PM »

http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=MICROSUEDE&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e

here are some examples on fabric.com.

i like actually feeling it in the store, so i go to jo-ann's. i like the thicker microsuede. it seems to make my poppets less lumpy looking after i stuff them. that may just be me, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoopla 5 swap: stitching!
iyp18 : dancing away!
make a friend : waiting.

wists: wists.com/prettyrustyrobot
IsikkahJai

BAKA LOVE FOREVER! ^.^

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011 01:18:02 PM »

I have to wait until the end of sign-ups to do this but I think I might hafta XD I love poppets and wouldn't mind having one of my own (that I actually get to keep, lol)

I bought some alovea suede online from a company in LA called Mortex (mortex.com). it was only $2.30 a yard!!!!! I haven't sewn with it yet but on the poppet-a-long it's recommended to use Alovea suede, deer suede or velour for the best non-lumpy poppets but you can make them out of anything. Cotton you'll need bigger seam allowances, felt isn't quite as stretchy but it works out well I've heard ^^. Be creative! And practice makes perfect. LOOK at the poppet thread and ask questions. There are no stupid ones!
--A COUPLE TIPS: When doing the joining of the limbs to the body, make sure you get the correct size shank buttons!!! Too small and your limbs will be all wibbly. To big and they'll stick out from the fabric like misshapen metal circles. This happened on one of my older punkins T-T
  --When ordering eyes, the best size for "normal" looking poppets is between 12-16mm.
  --Make sure when you stuff your poppets, make them ROCK HARD. STUFF UNTIL YOUR FINGERS FALL OFF!!!--and then stuff some more! This will ensure stability and non-wibbly limb joints.
 I don't mean to intimidate but these are questions I had when I first started out and I thought it might be helpful ^^
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011 01:28:00 PM by IsikkahJai » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011 01:45:34 PM »

I got some of my suede from hancock fabric's online store. They call it butter suede.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011 01:53:31 PM »

I need to work on my stuffing....I tend to not stuff enough.  Lanikins made me a beautiful Tank Girl poppet and it is stuffed so well that it stands up on her own!!  I love it.

I am not very good at making clothes that are removable.  When I make a themed poppet, I like to sew his/her clothes directly on, so hopefully that is okay with my partner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Insulated Curtains
How to Make a Long Stitch
How to Stitch an Eyelet
How to Make Hand Embroidery Patterns
How to Make a Blackwork Cross Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...