A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Platform Couch  (Read 2773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2011 07:04:45 PM »

Look what my awesome husband built me!

I hate the idea of traditional couches and kids. I can't have something that costs hundreds of dollars, is filled with complex mechanisms and can't be easily cleaned left to the mercies of my five kids and two dogs.
I told the man what I wanted and he built it from scrap wood we found in the $.50 bin and some leftovers we had in the backyard. Mostly pine, probably. It took about 5 hours altogether.

I wanted something like the bench/sofas I'd seen in some of the older hotels in Thailand; Big enough to sit on, long enough to lay on, and deep enough for several people to curl up. Sans all the intricate carving, delicate upholstery and satiny finishes.

It's always a little scary asking him for stuff like this because there is no plan, no carefully drawn blueprint, no anal-retentive measuring and re-measuring. He just wings it, but it comes out so well! The whole thing cost about $40. $40 and the power of love.

Now it's up to me to make a bunch of big ass cushions so that we can stack them up and play fort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CptnDenim
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011 07:25:19 PM »

As a child of a large family, I completely understand your misgivings on a traditional couch. honestly, I think one of the best features of the one your husband made is the hole in the front - you can easily find lost belongings, dogs, etc that ended up underneath it - like we know will  Wink it looks like he did a really great job with construction too. I hope you and yours enjoy your new couch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at it this way: Tomorrow, your job is to change the world into a better place. Today, my job is to see that everyone gets there. - Granny Weatherwax

Amazing hoodie swap!
Polly Peanut

gone crazy - back soon!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011 01:59:26 PM »

Wohooo! Cudos to your man! It looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011 04:30:13 PM »

That's wonderful!  I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
craftydebs

Just too busy being fabulous!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011 02:02:26 PM »

This is super cool.  I have thought about attempting such a thing for years now.  It would be so sturdy and roomy vs traditional sofas.  Your came out great.  Where did you get the cushion?  I can't wait to see it covered in big pillows, hope you post and update!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven for thirty minutes before the devil even knows you are dead.- Old Irish Toast

http://wists.com/craftydebs
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011 02:07:59 PM »

Thanks craftydebs! In those pictures it's just covered by some blankets, but I have made a long cushion and I'm sewing one of three 30" pillows today.

Again, sorry for the cell phone pics; my camera's *still* in the shop. The cushion's made of some upholstery fabric I got for free and two 5lb boxes of fiberfill; I'm debating adding another. It's sewn very simply, I just measured it to fit the platform and sewed 'knife edge' corners to make it box-shaped.

The kids use it as a stage when they play their dancing Wii games, and the little ones crawl under there and play with their toys so they're not underfoot. Hubby & I have even been sleeping on it.  Grin  If I had really been thinking, I would have made it tall enough to slide my NordicTrack underneath, but it's a few inches to short.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011 07:49:40 PM »

I abosolutely adore this! Could you post the dimensions? It is so perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011 08:29:11 PM »

Sure! It's 8' long, 40" wide (a little over three feet), and 15" tall.  If you look you can see two by fours screwed to the bottom of the legs, Hubs says this is something that makes it more stable. The construction is very basic, and held together with building screws. My plan is to make different shams so I can change the colors when I feel like it, but I have to get the pillows done first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Jols
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011 10:09:21 PM »

this is a fab idea, just what I was thinking of for our decking outside . . . oh the summer sun lying in the garden . . . oh I forgot I live in the UK ! Tongue I might just give it a try anyway, thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Funky Moover
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011 01:08:28 AM »

This week Miss Jois I'm with you wanting one for my deck! (I'm in s. England)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BBQ Baked Beans Recipe
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Tips on Making Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Donut Making at Scoop De Jour
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...