A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1st spin ever! :)  (Read 2276 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber , merino_wool , hand_spun , spinning , roving  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cranberrry2001
« on: March 20, 2011 08:42:40 AM »

I got a drop spindle and 2.55 oz. merino wool. It sat for a while becuase it seemed that it would take some time to learn how to use both the drop spindle and the batt. After youtubing a few videos I got the hang of it, but still wonder how much fiber to grab when spinning. At any rate - here is the result! One ply Smiley though I've heard you can do up to three? (!) I think I may have opened up a whole new world of passion - for color, ('cause the dyes are SO rich and I love it! Cheesy) softness and spinning anything I can Smiley.

If any of you would point me in the direction of a good fiber place to get rovings from I'd greatly appreciate it! Please feel free to send me a convo or commment here Smiley

And... I've noticed others can spin much more consistently when it comes to the thickness of the finished spun yarn, does that come over time or easier with certian fiber types? Would love to know Smiley thanks again!

with flash to show the blue firestarter Smiley

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011 08:47:22 AM by cranberrry2001 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebluegirl
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011 09:07:56 AM »

That looks great!  Personally I'm a fan of the thick and thin look.  I bought a drop spindle a while ago and not got round to using it yet, but this has inspired me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shan-E-bear

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011 09:11:00 AM »

Those colors are pretty!
From all the stalking I've done learning how to spin (I just posted my first yarn the other day) it looks like it just takes practice in drafting to get it nice and even. Mine went from thick and thin extremes for more balanced but not even towards the end. Wish I could tell you where to get the good stuff but I will be looking as well  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
cranberrry2001
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011 09:46:00 AM »

That looks great!  Personally I'm a fan of the thick and thin look.  I bought a drop spindle a while ago and not got round to using it yet, but this has inspired me!

thank you littlebluegirl Smiley I like the thick and thin look as well, but I dare say it amazes me how consistent some can get it. Smiley I hope you enjoy whipping up some yarns of your own before long Smiley so wonderful to have inspired you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011 02:16:58 PM »

I have been spinning for a year and I'm still not perfect with my thicknesses. Also, it does depend on the fiber. I tried to spin ome bamboo/merino blend thick and it wouldn't let me, it kept slipping to thin so it is very thick and thin.

As for where to get fiber, it is all over Etsy.com. My favorite store is knit.etsy.com, she has some great fiber clubs. For beginners I would definitely recommend thesheepshedstudio.com/rovings. There is a discussion with testimonials about it as a sticky in the spinning discussion forum. The fiber is cheap--roving for $8.50 USD/lb rather than the average $4/oz of the dyed nifty stuff on Etsy--but still really good quality fiber. I love it! I am ordering some today to get ready for teaching the girls at church this summer.

I love your colors! This is not a bad yarn at all. Working up thick and thin yarn makes me so happy. You get texture that is otherwise impossible.

Don't miss our Fiber Friday threads. It's where everyone posts their yarn(s) from the week and there are some truly inspiring spinners on these boards.

*!*! Another convert to the ways of the spinster!*!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Oyhana
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011 05:39:22 PM »

Pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011 09:41:47 PM »

Nice yarn!  I love the colors and the thick/thin!

The only limit in the number of plies you can have is the size of your spindle or the size of your orafice on a wheel.  The most I've plied was a 6-ply cable.  This is where I plied 3 yarns together (2 skiens), then plied them together!

The world of fiber opens many, many doors!  You've experienced spinning, but there is also dyeing your own roving (or your own finished yarn).  Fiber prep is another adventure.  You can take raw fiber and turn it into roving (that in turn, you can dye & spin). Or you can take various types of fiber and card or comb them together.

You're not limited to animal fiber either.  There is a whole 'nother world out there of bast (plant) fibers, and things you can add to your fiber.

Then there is knitting & crocheting & tatting & weaving & felting ...

Plenty of places to get spinning fibers. Just off the top of my head are susansfibershop.com, paradisefibers.net, louet.com, coopermoose.com, pacificwoolandfiber.com .  I also love the fiber I get from Carol Lee at the sheepshedstudio.com  Her prices are inexpensive, but yarns created from the rovings are beautiful.

When I come into a windfall, I like buying 20-30 pounds of various fiber from rhlindsay.

I find good deals on Ravelry.com.  It is a forum dedicated to knitters, crochets, spinners, weavers.  It is the most comprehensive forum for fiber artists.  A huge collections of patterns, suppliers, place to keep track of your needles, hooks, stash.  It's huge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
cranberrry2001
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011 05:50:33 AM »

wow! Thank you all for your insights! Cheesy If any of you are on ravelry I am cranberrry Smiley and would love to connect there as well! Smiley

I purchased a lb of llama's wool recently and will have to wash it before thinking about spinnning it - any pointers there? I know the internets are full ove wonderful resources on these things but I love hearing from people first hand Smiley.

Thanks again all! Woo hoo for fibers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011 07:45:16 AM »

Cranberrry,
With non-wool animal fibers such as llama, alpaca, mohair, angora a good carding or flicking or combing and spinning raw works well.  Or bypass that and just spin without fiber prep!  Washing the yarn works well. 

If you do want to scour (wash) the fiber before you spin, do small lots of fiber at a time and try to keep the locks aligned.  Easier to say than do!  Sort through your fiber removing the coarser locks and maybe arranging by lock length. You'll want to grab a lock, shake as much dust & VM out as you can, then lay it in a length of netting.  Keep track of which end is the cut end and which end is the tip.  You'll want to lay all cut ends on the same side.

Since you are only washing out dirt & not lanolin, you won't need as much detergent & can use warm water.  Let the locks soak. You don't want to swish it around, this only encourages felting!

Off to look you up on Ravelry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011 12:16:12 PM »

Loving those blue slubs. Gorgeous first work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Potstickers
How to Make a Pork Stir-Fry
How to Make a Smoked Salmon Roll
Chicken Curry Stew Recipe
Chinese-Style Boiled Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...