A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,156
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blocking Acrylic Yarns?  (Read 1138 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JustNaz9

I hope there's pudding...<3

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2011 08:09:53 AM »

Hello all! I recently made a scarf that refuses to lay flat and after some research I thought blocking might help. However, I used Caron Simply Soft yarn, which is 100% acrylic and have seen some different answers...

Some people have told me you can't block acrylic yarns.
Some people have told me to block it with steam.
Others have told me steam will melt the yarn.
Some people have told me to hand wash and then lay out with pins.
Others have told me not to soak the yarn and just spritz it with a spray bottle.
One person told me to lay wet towels on top of it and when the towels dry, it's blocked.

Huh Huh Huh
So, my question is, how do YOU block your acrylic yarns and what are your experiences? What's the easiest, fastest way? Thanks so much for your help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You cut up a thing that's alive and beautiful to find out how it's alive and why it's beautiful, and before you know it, it's neither of those things, and you're standing there with blood on your face and tears in your sight and only the terrible ache of guilt to show for it."
Clive Barker
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011 12:22:13 PM »

The easiest, fastest way to block acrylic is to throw it in the washing machine and drier.  Acrylic yarn dries very quickly, and for best results, you should probably take the item out of the drier after about 5-10 minutes.

Steam will block it, but you need to be careful with it.  It is very easy to melt acrylic yarn if you're not careful.  You should try this on a swatch first, to see if you like the results.

I find that water blocking doesn't do much with acrylic yarn, it just goes back to the way it was after it air dries. 

There are ways to avoid the curling problem in the future, but it often depends on the pattern.  Usually going up in hook size does the trick.  Chainless foundation stitches can sometimes help.  Sometimes adding a border helps, but that doesn't look right on all projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JustNaz9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011 05:55:10 PM »

Well, the scarf was Pinkleo's Luna Lovegood scarf so I THINK it's just curling inward because of all the spaces, but I tried adding a couple rows of sc on the bottom and that helped a little. I'll try washing/drying a swatch tomorrow just to make sure I don't ruin it, but after I take it out of the dryer should I pin it down while it dries, or no?

Thanks a lot for your help, I figured it'd be easier to talk to a real person than anything else Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You cut up a thing that's alive and beautiful to find out how it's alive and why it's beautiful, and before you know it, it's neither of those things, and you're standing there with blood on your face and tears in your sight and only the terrible ache of guilt to show for it."
Clive Barker
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011 02:27:06 AM »

Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to pin it, but I'm not sure it'll help.  The scarf is likely to be pretty dry after 5-10 minutes, so... If you're thinking of pinning it, take it out after 5 minutes maybe.

You'll have better information if you try it with a swatch first, but if you do decide to pin it, be absolutely sure your pins won't rust!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JustNaz9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011 04:20:10 PM »

It took 15-20 min on extra-low heat for my scarf to get to the slightly damp stage with my dryer, but it looks TONS better. Barely twists or curls at all! Thanks for your help (again, lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clive Barker
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sy Montgomery Talks About Birdology
The Pop-Up Sound of Music Book Trailer
Lance Price Talks About When Power Lies
Allison Leotta Talks About Law of Attraction
Maurice Hamilton Talks About Chequered Conflict
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...