A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone know how to make a beaded octopus?  (Read 2094 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squirrellywrath
« on: March 19, 2011 12:22:17 AM »

So I really want to try to make this cute little guy: https://www.artfire.com/admin/product_images/thumbs/--30000--3472_product_859890992_thumb_large.jpg or something similar to him but have no idea how to do it. Anyone have any newbie-friendly ideas on how to make him, or some other cute beaded octopus?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DestinationVenus
Beader, Kumist, Needle and Wet Felter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011 05:22:25 PM »

That's tubular herringbone with increases and decreases, not exactly newbie friendly.  Something simple for a newbie would be some 26 or 28 gauge craft wire, beading thread or 6# Fireline, size 11 seed beads, one 12 mm or larger round bead with a large hole--probably a wooden one would be best, beading needle, wire cutter, ruler, tape. 

Cut 8 six inch pieces of wire and bundle together with a piece of tape at about the 2 inch mark or lower depending on the size of your large bead.  Pass the wire bundle through the large bead, trying to get the tape in the hole.  Spread the wires out on both sides of the hole so they are "tentacle-y" and string seed beads on the wires coming out of the top.  Once a wire is almost filled, curl it around the bead and twist it to a wire on the other side to anchor it.  After all eight are finished, string beads on the other side's wire--as you come to the end of the wire, string on one last bead, bend the wire, and twist it firmly so the beads don't fall off.

To fill out the head so it's more beady, cut about 5 feet of beading thread, and put a needle on it.  Tie a knot on the other end and feed through the large bead so it's coming out of the top.  Pass through the closest seed bead, add a seed bead or more as needed to fill in the spaces between the spines of beads.  Tie off at the bottom of the bead.

Admire!

If you don't have any experience with beads and wire, look for instructions on French-beaded or French-wire flowers to learn the techniques.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrellywrath
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011 08:46:31 AM »

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sithkittie
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011 05:55:44 AM »

That is such a cool octopus!  I have no idea what the names of techniques are, and I really hate working with wire, but that would be a neat technique to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peterscott279
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011 11:38:02 PM »

I have never made it. I would like to try that myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shrimp Dip
Lemon Meringue Pie on fixmyrecipe.com
Tangy, Zesty, & Spicy Grilled Shrimp on fixmyrecipe.com
Chicken Salad with Golden Currants on fixmyrecipe.com
Improved Chili Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...