A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's the biggest amigurumi you've made?  (Read 1174 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Drossy
« on: March 18, 2011 06:34:43 PM »

I decided that I wanted to make a dragon (specifically this dragon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4GP8Mil_qY ). I'm making the snout, head, neck, body, and tail all as one piece, but since I wasn't paying attention to size when I made the snout, the head ended up being a lot bigger than I intended. So much so that the body is at 132 stitches around! At the rate I'm going, this thing will be over five feet long when it's done.

So has anyone else made a humongous amigurumi before? Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011 09:29:08 AM »

I have made lots of really big stuffies - including two clowns that must be 4' long from hat to toe... my biggest advice is to not get stingy on the stuffing.  It will still need to be stuffed well even if it takes a ton of stuffing to do it. 

I have been wanting to design a big dragon myself and have started but stopped several times as I was afraid nobody would want to recreate such a large dragon.  I should just do it.  My son has been asking me to make it...
Best of luck on yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Mausica
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011 09:48:29 AM »

The largest I've made is probably from Linda Pott's Dino Buddies pattern. Her Diplodocus is almost 12 inches tall when finished, but I am really in love with Shauna Richardson's crochetdermy . It's not really so much amigurumi as sculpture, but I would love to try to do something on that scale.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011 09:50:25 AM by Mausica - Reason: fixing link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: magicalmaus.blogspot.com

Etsy Store: mausica.etsy.com
trilliana
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011 09:11:29 PM »

I made a toothless that's about 2 feet long for my son

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61026095/toothless-crochet-pattern

that's the pattern for it, and it's all mainly one piece for the body, head and tail. So maybe getting that and figuring out the details you can go from their to make your own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kyut530
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011 02:16:50 PM »

So far, the largest amigurumi I've made is the Usagi rabbit you see in my profile pic--it was 25" tall when standing... As for sizing, I just eye-balled it for how big it was becoming...The body was larger than the initial head, so I'm not really one to tell you what a good method would be yet...  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter by day, crafter by night
but my shift changed... oh right...
Drossy
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011 10:03:10 PM »

Change of plans. I got almost midway through the main body of the dragon (I think?) when I decided it was going too slowly, and I was losing interest. I also worried that, if I found out I messed up somewhere, I would have to rip out hours upon hours of work in order to fix it. So, I put Giant Dragon on hiatus, took the notes I had been keeping while making it, and reduced the number of stitches and rows by half in order to start on a more reasonably sized dragon.

This is my progress on Dragon Attempt #2

As you can see, the smaller dragon is propped up against the monstrous first attempt, which I WILL eventually get done, after I work out the pattern on a smaller scale. The purple dragon measures 35 inches, and will probably be just over 3 feet after I finish all the detailing on the tail. And yes, I consider 3 feet to be a reasonable length for an amigurumi. Cheesy

But one of the things I'm worried about for when I start working on the white dragon again is how the weight of the stuffing would affect it. I'm concerned that the stitches around where the neck meets the body might tear under the weight of the elongated neck and head, or how the weight of the body would bear on where I sew the legs on. Sad

Yarn or Fabric: Oh believe me, I'm not being stingy on the stuffing, as can be seen from my concern about the weight. And concerning your dragon plans, I say go for it. Best case scenario, you have tons of people clamoring to try your pattern. Worst case scenario, you have an awesome hand made dragon all to yourself. Cheesy That's how I'm approaching the situation, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pistachio Ice Cream
Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe with Dulce De Leche
Vegan Man: The Ultimate Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Donut Shop Offers Bizarre Flavors
Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...