A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japan-a-long-INACTIVE 2011  (Read 5162 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011 07:09:33 AM »

Hello everyone!  I am touched by all of the concern and outpouring of support for the people of Japan...my own mother, who is 81, is currently in Michigan with my sister, attending various fund raisers and representing the many elderly people affected by this natural disaster.  The Japanese people are very resilent, yet proud.  They are determined to carry on and this includes returning beauty back to the ugliness.

I definitely think that a craftalong will at least show people how many ways that this culture has inspired and delighted us all...from Totoro, Sailor Moon, lolita fashions, kawaii, kimonos, kokeshi dolls, cherry blossoms, etc. We all have been touched creatively by these remarkable people.

I hope to add to this craftalong by making items from my stash of kimono fabrics...I love the little flowers and the dragon tin!

Can't wait to see the kokeshi dolls!  They are going to be so cute!

Ruby, I am editing your front page to comply to the new craftalong rules of putting in dates...I will just keep it ongoing for now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011 09:02:58 AM »

D'oh, yes, I forgot the ongoing and date thing... sorry! Thanks for adding it.
Indeed, one of the very first things I did after seeing the terrible pictures in the news was pick up my crochet hook and making something Japanese inspired, sort of in honor of the wonderful inspiration that Japan has been to me for decades, and especially in times when I felt bad.
It was even before I reached out into the internet to talk to others. I probably also needed to put up something between me and the news... only later, the idea of finding other craftsters who might think the same came up, and I'm very glad about the discussion thread we had.
The kimono fabric sounds wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Otherside27~
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011 12:16:00 PM »

I'm not sure about the rules and stuff, but ever since I found out that my friends in Japan were all ok I wanted to do something for people who were less lucky. We are having a fundraiser in Nottingham and I'm making sakura (cherry blossoms) mainly via the medium of beads for earrings and other jewellery (no pic as I'm still learning how to make them...not bad!) I don't know if anyone would buy them but any advice anyone can give me would be great Cheesy you're all making such cute stuff I'd like to make as much as possible! I can't crochet  Cry but beading, knitting and polymer clay are things I'm less bad at - so if anyone is making anything like that please share!!
arigatou gozaimasu!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011 12:53:11 PM »

I second the request of beading, knitting and polyclay! And it's so great to hear of more crafty initiatives. So many crafters out there, it had to happen!

Here's what I made this week for the Crafts for Japan auctions:

Lots of trial pieces for the kokeshi dollsj, a little totoro (my son was so upset that I want to give it away that he's probably donating out of his pocket money to get it), a mysterious black amigurumi torso and a start into a monokuro boo. Not pictured: The kodama that is almost done. The kokeshi pattern I was using didn't come out like I wanted, so I'm still experimenting on relations, and sizes...
I finished one, the green one on the left.

While I made it, I had lots of doubts, but for a trial piece, it's come out nice.

And I still make flowers:

Making beautiful Japanese things helped me calm down and deal with all the news about Japan... at least something that I can do. If some donations come out of it, all the better.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 12:54:27 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011 10:06:57 AM »

And the kodama is finished! I made a ton of these for the wonderful Miyazaki swap a while ago, and I still had all the parts for another one made, but never assembled them. So now I did, and here it is!

Another one my kids will be upset for putting it in the auction. Grin I must say I'd be sorry to let it go, but just one more reason to make some more! AmiAmour has been very sweet and licensed the use of her kodama pattern for a good cause, so thanks! She also will let us use a banner she's made - it'll soon be on, I just need to battle down the forum layout and find out how to add this kind of stuff (total admin noob Huh Cheesy).

I've asked other crafster members about using things made from their patterns, too (I thought I should as it border on selling things) and both pinkleo (Luna Lovegood scarf) and Wayuki (monokuroo boo) were very kind and didn't hesitate to let me use their patterns for this cause.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011 11:23:57 AM »

wow--I saw a scarf in a boutique store that had a bunch of colorful crochet flowers connected together...the scarf was selling for over $60!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011 12:21:11 PM »

I can understand about the price (although I wouldn't pay it), depending on how many flowers there were. I can make three of the big flowers in one hour. For a scarf, crocheting time alone would probably be four hours, maybe more, depending on the size. Plus material, plus various costs...
if it was a stole, to be wrapped around the shoulders, it'd be fourty-something flowers (I checked: 46). So that's at least fifteen hours of happy colorful crafting...
hm... scarf... that's a good idea... I had been thinking table runner... but a scarf would be cool too, in wool...
Hehe, anyone who wants any of these, table runner, scarf or stole, please contact me. I love making these flowers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011 02:12:23 PM »

I just joined the Crafts for Japan...I think I will link it to my Facebook page so that others can join and bid or make things!

My hubby's business donated to the Red Cross and I am asking him to donate a portion of every CD they sell to them as well...we did that with Katrina and it seemed to work out well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011 03:11:00 PM »

Ah, welcome to Crafts for Japan, and thanks for plotting on getting more crafty people to join!
That made my day! And hearing about more help for Japan just made it better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011 05:44:19 AM »

I tried something with some of the 8-petaled flowers (and safety pins, ahem), and hung it in my window

Now that's boring. So much for the table runner idea.
But I'll try something with the 12 petaled flowers, too.
And here's some smaller things I've dug up from my "jar of little crochet thingies" stash and made into keychains, or plan to:

I had to do quite some explaining to the kids that no, this isn't their play sushi, but a different one that I've made. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Meatloaf with Chili Sauce
Skillet Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe
How to Make Buttermilk Waffles
Buttermilk-Cheese Waffle Recipe
How to Make a 10 Layer Monster Burger
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...