A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japan-a-long-INACTIVE 2011  (Read 5559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 18, 2011 07:10:09 AM »

The terrible news from the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear emergency in Japan has made me want to do lots of Japan inspired crafts, to balance the pictures by something beautiful, and I'd love to have some people here to craft along with.

As you may be aware, we currently discuss to organize a crafty charitable action for Japan, although it isn't fully formed yet.
Whatever the outcome there, I'll be crocheting flowers and amigurumi non stop for my nerves, and started this thread independently of the charity discussion.
So, this could be a place for sending good thoughts to Japan, for appreciating Japanese crafting, or for inspiration... whatever we make of it...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011 04:30:22 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011 07:10:41 AM »

News:

March 18
We have official word from the mod squad about the fundraising idea - we can't do that on craftster, but we can craft-a-long here for it, and link to a site where we do the actual fundraising too.
That's great news! So, soon we can tell you more about it - volunteers for organizing-a-long welcome!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011 07:59:00 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011 07:55:26 AM »

Links and Resources:

There is such a mass of great Japanese craft resources... I feel overwhelmed already, and I'll start slowly and expand over time.
If you make something from a pattern, please link to the pattern.
If you have a great resource, please post it.

Projects on craftster:

For Japanese inspired project on craftster, try the tag cloud, or search.
Here is a collection of amigurumi patterns on craftster:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=284386.0

Projects in this craftalong:

Monokuro boo
Sakura
Kokeshi doll pattern
Kodama patterns
Luna Lovegood scarf

Internet and other resources:

Japanese crochet

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011 02:59:43 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011 02:10:50 PM »

To get things started, these are Japanese crafts I've done in the last two weeks:

The little Monokuro Boo in the picture in the first post

lots and lots of big and small flowers, about half of them for the Sweat Shoppe Swap:

And I've started making crochet kokeshi dolls - I liked them already, and then I read that they originally come from the region of Sendai which has been so terribly destroyed by the tsunami, so I'll make them in different sizes and colors.
For now, only a progress pic in bad quality, sorry...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011 02:24:10 PM »

what kind of yarn did you use on the  kokeshi dolls? 

I think this idea is brilliant!  I've thought about people of Japan since the early morning (for me) that I heard about it.  I've not made Japanese crafts in the past.  I do make granny squares tho and like very much the flowers you have posted.   
I'm keeping an eye on the thread tho and will definitly look at the pattern sources, too.  =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011 04:31:20 AM »

I used cotton because that's my favourite yarn, but I have some shining polyamid blends that I'll try too, to get a silky look for the kimono. And I'm thinking of a Sailor Moon set... there's a New Year's episode in PGSM where they wear beautiful kimonos, and there was a festival episode in the anime where they wore one too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeye

i love my horse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011 10:09:47 AM »

Perhaps some of these tutes could be used to make doll clothes or modified everyday clothes:

http://thecosplaychronicles.blogspot.com/p/tutorials.html for how-to make sailor-fuku

http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/japindex.htm Japanese Food and Garb

http://ecosamurai.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-make-nuno-zori-cloth-sandal-step_4875.html make a Nuno-zori

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=272611 Shinsengumi Haori

http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12601 how to make a michiyuki (scroll down)

And for fun:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=252761.0%3Ball hello
kitty Smiley

For myself I think I will make something using Japanese dyeing techniques there was an articles in Threads....And here:http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/dyeing-fabric-shibori-techniques   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011 04:37:55 PM »

Thanks for the links! Wow, that food and garb page!

It's nothing new, but I'm still making tons of these in all colors:

I'm also still making kokeshi dolls, and some Sailor Moon inspired flowers. Will have a long wait tomorrow, and I'll bring a lot of yarn with me! Shouldn't even mention it, as it goes without saying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011 07:00:56 PM »

Well, it's not very Japanese, but here is my dragon tin.

Polymer clay on, well, tin.
The bright blue wasn't very well thought out, but I was extremely happy with the dragon.
It looks huge there, but it's about the size of a CD and a couple of inches high.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011 04:23:34 AM »

Love the scales, and his posture, he's really gorgeous.
Nothing wrong with the blue tin. Dragon against sky. Sky on top of high mountains is very blue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011 07:09:33 AM »

Hello everyone!  I am touched by all of the concern and outpouring of support for the people of Japan...my own mother, who is 81, is currently in Michigan with my sister, attending various fund raisers and representing the many elderly people affected by this natural disaster.  The Japanese people are very resilent, yet proud.  They are determined to carry on and this includes returning beauty back to the ugliness.

I definitely think that a craftalong will at least show people how many ways that this culture has inspired and delighted us all...from Totoro, Sailor Moon, lolita fashions, kawaii, kimonos, kokeshi dolls, cherry blossoms, etc. We all have been touched creatively by these remarkable people.

I hope to add to this craftalong by making items from my stash of kimono fabrics...I love the little flowers and the dragon tin!

Can't wait to see the kokeshi dolls!  They are going to be so cute!

Ruby, I am editing your front page to comply to the new craftalong rules of putting in dates...I will just keep it ongoing for now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011 09:02:58 AM »

D'oh, yes, I forgot the ongoing and date thing... sorry! Thanks for adding it.
Indeed, one of the very first things I did after seeing the terrible pictures in the news was pick up my crochet hook and making something Japanese inspired, sort of in honor of the wonderful inspiration that Japan has been to me for decades, and especially in times when I felt bad.
It was even before I reached out into the internet to talk to others. I probably also needed to put up something between me and the news... only later, the idea of finding other craftsters who might think the same came up, and I'm very glad about the discussion thread we had.
The kimono fabric sounds wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Otherside27~
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011 12:16:00 PM »

I'm not sure about the rules and stuff, but ever since I found out that my friends in Japan were all ok I wanted to do something for people who were less lucky. We are having a fundraiser in Nottingham and I'm making sakura (cherry blossoms) mainly via the medium of beads for earrings and other jewellery (no pic as I'm still learning how to make them...not bad!) I don't know if anyone would buy them but any advice anyone can give me would be great Cheesy you're all making such cute stuff I'd like to make as much as possible! I can't crochet  Cry but beading, knitting and polymer clay are things I'm less bad at - so if anyone is making anything like that please share!!
arigatou gozaimasu!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011 12:53:11 PM »

I second the request of beading, knitting and polyclay! And it's so great to hear of more crafty initiatives. So many crafters out there, it had to happen!

Here's what I made this week for the Crafts for Japan auctions:

Lots of trial pieces for the kokeshi dollsj, a little totoro (my son was so upset that I want to give it away that he's probably donating out of his pocket money to get it), a mysterious black amigurumi torso and a start into a monokuro boo. Not pictured: The kodama that is almost done. The kokeshi pattern I was using didn't come out like I wanted, so I'm still experimenting on relations, and sizes...
I finished one, the green one on the left.

While I made it, I had lots of doubts, but for a trial piece, it's come out nice.

And I still make flowers:

Making beautiful Japanese things helped me calm down and deal with all the news about Japan... at least something that I can do. If some donations come out of it, all the better.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 12:54:27 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011 10:06:57 AM »

And the kodama is finished! I made a ton of these for the wonderful Miyazaki swap a while ago, and I still had all the parts for another one made, but never assembled them. So now I did, and here it is!

Another one my kids will be upset for putting it in the auction. Grin I must say I'd be sorry to let it go, but just one more reason to make some more! AmiAmour has been very sweet and licensed the use of her kodama pattern for a good cause, so thanks! She also will let us use a banner she's made - it'll soon be on, I just need to battle down the forum layout and find out how to add this kind of stuff (total admin noob Huh Cheesy).

I've asked other crafster members about using things made from their patterns, too (I thought I should as it border on selling things) and both pinkleo (Luna Lovegood scarf) and Wayuki (monokuroo boo) were very kind and didn't hesitate to let me use their patterns for this cause.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011 11:23:57 AM »

wow--I saw a scarf in a boutique store that had a bunch of colorful crochet flowers connected together...the scarf was selling for over $60!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011 12:21:11 PM »

I can understand about the price (although I wouldn't pay it), depending on how many flowers there were. I can make three of the big flowers in one hour. For a scarf, crocheting time alone would probably be four hours, maybe more, depending on the size. Plus material, plus various costs...
if it was a stole, to be wrapped around the shoulders, it'd be fourty-something flowers (I checked: 46). So that's at least fifteen hours of happy colorful crafting...
hm... scarf... that's a good idea... I had been thinking table runner... but a scarf would be cool too, in wool...
Hehe, anyone who wants any of these, table runner, scarf or stole, please contact me. I love making these flowers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011 02:12:23 PM »

I just joined the Crafts for Japan...I think I will link it to my Facebook page so that others can join and bid or make things!

My hubby's business donated to the Red Cross and I am asking him to donate a portion of every CD they sell to them as well...we did that with Katrina and it seemed to work out well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011 03:11:00 PM »

Ah, welcome to Crafts for Japan, and thanks for plotting on getting more crafty people to join!
That made my day! And hearing about more help for Japan just made it better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011 05:44:19 AM »

I tried something with some of the 8-petaled flowers (and safety pins, ahem), and hung it in my window

Now that's boring. So much for the table runner idea.
But I'll try something with the 12 petaled flowers, too.
And here's some smaller things I've dug up from my "jar of little crochet thingies" stash and made into keychains, or plan to:

I had to do quite some explaining to the kids that no, this isn't their play sushi, but a different one that I've made. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011 07:33:02 AM »

Since I am a little busy to do something specific at the moment, I have raided my stash of unframed needlework & come up with these.

St Georges Day

Bishop

The Fab 2

The penny is included for size reference, but these would all make decent small notebook covers or framed pieces. I will now rush over to post them on Crafts for Japan. I also have larger pieces. If anyone would be interested in a large art deco pastel sampler, let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011 01:15:57 PM »

Hehe, wasn't Saint George about bloodily slaughtering an ugly monster rather than celebrating a cute and gorgeos fairy tale creature? Grin Of course, considering that nowadays cute dragons are such a lot more popular, having the dragon in triumphant full roast mode makes actually sense to me Grin
Hm, I might know someone who wants the Beatles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeye

i love my horse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011 08:30:10 AM »

I took Sunday and a remnant of this corset, and came up with this wallet for our charity auction. I initially wanted to make some sort of one-size-fits-all skirt but I couldn't find a style I liked.

The fabric is light blue and super sparkly (seriously I was about to go cross-eyed sewing it), though that makes it almost impossible to get a good pic of - I tried twice!

The top little fold over is of the wrong side of the fabric for added effect. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011 01:03:04 PM »

Aw... makes me wish so hard I could sew and make something like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011 09:25:45 AM »

I just found this over at CRAFT..
http://quiltsforquakesurvivors.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/calling-all-quilt-tops/

They are gearing up to start a drive for quilts for Japan.

Thought this would be a good place to post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011 11:07:25 AM »

Their quilts are wonderful. I miss some information on their blog though about how the will proceed after the quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011 04:36:41 PM »

Their quilts are wonderful. I miss some information on their blog though about how the will proceed after the quilting.

Are the quilts going to be sold to raise money or are the quilts actually for the victims?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h-chan

<3 Xia Junsu (duck butt) <3

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011 05:15:51 PM »

I just posted my offering http://craftsforjapan.forumieren.com/t20-love-for-japan-pillow-cover-case#23
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eu Kyang Kyang!!!

http://www.wists.com/h-chan
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011 06:56:17 PM »

I followed the link I posted earlyer and found this.  The dead line is preaty close.  I'll be making quilts for my Moms quilt guild to send to Japan in a few monthes.  Her guild was told not to send stuff till later in the year.  But it sounds like this group is an on going situation, and there might be opertunities to send things in the future...I just thought someone would be interested Grin

Our early/mid April bees and quilts/blocks collected will be focused primarily on comfort quilt donations to Japan. Thanks to both Seven Winds, Inc. and Quilters Newsletters quilt drives in partnership with Patchwork Tsushin in Japan, we will be joining up with them (probably Seven Winds since shipping to California may be a bit faster than Colorado, from where we are). Both QN and Seven Winds have asked for quilts by April 30, so if you have time to piece blocks or tops or even finish a quilt, we would LOVE to get it as soon as possible. There may be other opportunities to send via one of these wonderful organizations after April 30, but wed like to get ours there by the deadline for sure! Follow the links above for more info on the Patchwork Tsushin collections, including direct mailing addresses for QN and Seven Winds if youd like to send directly. If you would specifically prefer your quilt to be auctioned/sold to raise funds, that is wonderful just let us know and we will reserve it for sale.

Our later April and May bees and quilts/blocks collected (after the Patchwork Tsushin deadline) will be focused primarily on quilts to auction to directly raise funds for Mercy Corps/Peace Winds Japan. We will have an Etsy shop at QuiltsforQuakeShop that will serve as a global fundraising effort, and we are also doing our best to organize a Portland event on or around May 11th as a live auction to complement/partner with the online sale. 100% of funds raised will go directly to Mercy Corps/Peace Winds Japan.

Any questions, thoughts, feedback very welcome please email us at quiltsforquakesurvivors at gmail dot com or comment here. Thank you everyone!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011 11:29:13 PM »

Squeal! I want to cuddle it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011 09:02:51 AM »

I am sorry that I have not been active here...Our Japanese Society in Central, PA has been busy raising funds for Japan through bake sales, sales of bracelets and other small Japanese goods, including t-shirts! We will also be holding a dinner at a local Japanese restaurant next month with proceeds going to the Red Cross for Japan.

I think it is lovely that you guys are still working on this as it will be years before things will be tolerable for the Japanese affected!  Look at New Orleans--there are still people who need help there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011 06:38:28 AM »

I'm changing this thread to inactive now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Match Your Hair to an Oval Face
How to Style Straight Hair for a Long Face
How to Style Thick Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Fine Thinning Hair to a Round Face
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for a Round Face
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...