A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TVP Jerky  (Read 3322 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , jerky , vegan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 17, 2011 07:25:01 PM »

Healthy + delicious + chewy + vegan + inexpensive + easy = my favourite jerky!!! Recipe is made with my own personal marinade, but you can go ahead and make your own (see links below for other ideas). Though this can be made with either, I largely prefer the TVP (textured vegetable protein) over the tofu. I recommend the longer marinating time for the tofu. I've made tofu jerky in the past, but since trying it with TVP, I've never gone back... it's just so much easier and the texture is closer to the real stuff.  A dehydrator is not required.

TVP Jerky

2 cups textured vegetable protein, chunks (not granules) or 2 cups extra firm tofu (cubed, *see note)

MARINADE:

• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce*
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons steak spice
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
  • 1/3 cup water

DIRECTIONS:

• Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan; add dry TVP or tofu.
  • Over medium heat, bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
  • You can now proceed to next step, or: pour everything into a Ziploc bag and squeeze out all the air. Refrigerate and allow to marinate 1 hour or overnight.
  • On a cookie sheet or dehydrator tray, distribute TVP or tofu chunks so that they are not touching and brush on any remaining marinade.
  • Giving the pan an occasionnal shake, bake at 175F for 3 to 4 hours,  or until desired texture is attained.

And there you have it!

*If you want the recipe to be truly vegetarian, make sure you check the ingredients in the Worcestershire sauce.

NOTE: To prepare tofu, squeeze out as much water as possible. You can also freeze it for a meatier texture.

Check out the 3Men Jerky Recipes' website for several marinade recipes or, for a entirely different twist, try this Asian Marinade.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011 07:48:36 PM by Burgz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
Goomba
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011 09:49:26 PM »

These look pretty great.
I am thinking of taking the general concept and adding more of a "chicken" style to it and building a wing recipe.
Good job either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011 07:16:07 PM »

Mmm that sounds like a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011 05:28:08 PM »

I've been meaning to make some veggie jerky... I keep forgetting to find liquid smoke.  What section would that be in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goomba
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011 06:03:32 PM »

I've been meaning to make some veggie jerky... I keep forgetting to find liquid smoke.  What section would that be in?

I always find it with the spices and herbs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011 09:50:14 PM »

I had to look forever, ask a few clerks (who looked at me like I was crazy - liquid smoke?!), and I finally found it with the condiments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kardashian Style Klash: Kim Vs Kendall 2013
The Style Sins of Paris Hilton
Different Celeb Same Dress: Kyle Minogue, Nicki Minaj and JLaw
Beth Ditto: Steal Her Style
Different Celebrity Same Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...