A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
821 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweet Irish Soda Bread  (Read 849 times)
Tags for this thread: irish , bread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 16, 2011 07:43:47 PM »

I just had to do something in honor of my Irish heritage for tomorrow so I decided to try my hand at soda bread. Now, I've tried several different types soda bread but this time, I wanted a bread that had just the slightest hint of sweet. I found it!

I used this recipe and altered it only by replacing the caraway seeds with about 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, one of my favorite spices!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn159/bajita42/bread001.jpg

This bread is fluffy, very lightly sweet and the raisins and currants just send it over the top. Cheesy

What is pictured is being devoured as I type. (The lovely mug rug was made for me by melladh!) There's a second loaf that will be part of tomorrow's breakfast provided that I can stay away from it until then. Wink
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013 11:37:17 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011 08:24:48 PM »

Troublet, that looks yummy. I want to try it tomorrow!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011 10:50:35 PM »

Haha I was just going through recent with pics far earlier in the morning than I ever get on here, and stopped thinking "ooh.. that looks tasty... wonder if I'd actually like the taste of it.. and those fabrics are pretty too.. wait a minute" Cheesy

I might have to try that some time, you're making it hard to wait until I get to the office breakfast (which won't be until like an hour) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011 04:45:55 PM »

that looks good. FYI leaving out the caraway was a good call. I honestly have never seen soda bread with caraway in ireland. We make a version that is similar to what you made, with all white flour, rasins or currants and some sugar to sweeten it. Eaten slathered in butter alongside big cups of tea...its colloquially called a spotted dick...or if you come from a more refined family..spotted dog....or even curnie cake....(from currant)

here is an irish flour manufacturers recipe page, this will have a lot more authentic recipes. Just be prepared to alter the amount of liquid you add, Irish flour absorbancies are different to US ones..to judge by the recipes that I have used. I cannot remember, but I think that our flour might absorb more liquid, so add the liquid amounts slowly to make sure the mixture doesn't get too wet.. (but it could be the other way around and our flour absorbs less, so you will need to increase the liquid content of these recipes)

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=recipes

hungry now, but its 12.40am so probably a bad time to start baking...!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 04:47:33 PM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Specify Colors in Hue/Saturation
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Modify Colors with Hue/Saturation
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Fade Command
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Color with Variations
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...