About a month ago I won an auction for this really cool, vintage, rocking chair. It's so old it's TINY (BEFORE the age of Lazyboys) and does not recline at ALL!!! It came with a matching footstool.
It was a nice little footstool, but as cross stitch stuff piled higher and higher on top of it I couldnt help but think of how much COOLER it'd be if it had hidden storage in it. What it NEEDED was a box!!!!
So first I pulled the cover off carefully. I don't plan on recovering my rocking chair anytime soon, since it's already an acceptable crushed red velvet, and I like the foot stool to match.
After I got all the fabric, and cushioning off, I unscrewed the legs and had this ....
Just two pieces of plywood held together by 4 strips of lumber. It was all stapled together.
I measured the space and got 23 1/2 X 14 and made a box this size outta 1 X 8's. I used a brad gun to connect everything since I couldn't find my drill chuck. (the chuck holder broke off the cord) I then attached the bottom board that came with the footstool.
I carefully put the bottom cover back on, stapled it, and put the legs back on.
I attached the padding to the lid plywood, but I couldn't get it to stretch as far as it was supposed to go so I sewed gold blanket edging to the top cover, and attached it by stapling it to the bottom of the lid. (It was warped from being sat on for the last 60 years, so I flipped it over to get warped flat again.
Then I attached two brass hinges to the box and then attached the lid to the hinges while someone held it up for me. After that I realized that even when the box was closed, you can see the lip of the wood box, so I took the staples holding the top of cover to the box out, restretched it higher and restapled it. Then I painted the lip if the box hold to match the blanket binding so it's not as obvious.
After the paint dried, I threw everything in!!!
Here's Maddy chillin on the new footstool.
It was a LOT easier than I thought it would be!!!! It didn't take very long at all. I'm sure it would have taken even less time if I hadn't run outta staples, or didn't have kids and puppies to keep up with while doing this, but still a VERY quick project and I'm VERY happy with the result!!! The only thing missing is every time I open it I expect it to be a antivampire weapon chest straight outta Buffy!!! lol