A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Foot Stool with added storage!!!! :) Lots of pics Tutorial  (Read 2091 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: March 16, 2011 03:43:25 PM »

About a month ago I won an auction for this really cool, vintage, rocking chair.  It's so old it's TINY (BEFORE the age of Lazyboys) and does not recline at ALL!!!  It came with a matching footstool.  

It was a nice little footstool, but as cross stitch stuff piled higher and higher on top of it I couldnt help but think of how much COOLER it'd be if it had hidden storage in it.  What it NEEDED was a box!!!! Smiley

So first I pulled the cover off carefully.  I don't plan on recovering my rocking chair anytime soon, since it's already an acceptable crushed red velvet, and I like the foot stool to match.

After I got all the fabric, and cushioning off, I unscrewed the legs and had this ....

Just two pieces of plywood held together by 4 strips of lumber.  It was all stapled together.

I measured the space and got 23 1/2 X 14 and made a box this size outta 1 X 8's.  I used a brad gun to connect everything since I couldn't find my drill chuck.  (the chuck holder broke off the cord)  I then attached the bottom board that came with the footstool.

I carefully put the bottom cover back on, stapled it, and put the legs back on.

I attached the padding to the lid plywood, but I couldn't get it to stretch as far as it was supposed to go so I sewed gold blanket edging to the top cover, and attached it by stapling it to the bottom of the lid.  (It was warped from being sat on for the last 60 years, so I flipped it over to get warped flat again. Smiley

Then I attached two brass hinges to the box and then attached the lid to the hinges while someone held it up for me.  After that I realized that even when the box was closed, you can see the lip of the wood box, so I took the staples holding the top of cover to the box out, restretched it higher and restapled it.  Then I painted the lip if the box hold to match the blanket binding so it's not as obvious.  

After the paint dried, I threw everything in!!! Smiley

Here's Maddy chillin on the new footstool.  Smiley

It was a LOT easier than I thought it would be!!!!  It didn't take very long at all.  I'm sure it would have taken even less time if I hadn't run outta staples, or didn't have kids and puppies to keep up with while doing this, but still a VERY quick project and I'm VERY happy with the result!!!  The only thing missing is every time I open it I expect it to be a antivampire weapon chest straight outta Buffy!!! lol  Smiley  *thumbs up*  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011 01:58:45 PM by PixieVal - Reason: added "tutorial" to title » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011 04:14:51 PM »

I dont know why some of the pics are stretching like that!!! Sad  They dont look like that on picture trail.  Sad  Sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
leigh7911
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011 10:26:17 PM »

Very clever! Looks great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011 01:59:07 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ravenwitch
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011 08:11:13 PM »

That is a really good idea!  It turned out great.  Now, if only I had a footstool...

You made it sound really easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011 08:44:05 PM »

great job!
I have been wanting to convert furniture to storage, but I think I might be over-ambitious.
I have a 3-piece leather sectional sofa, and got rid of the center piece, so it's a 2-piece 8-ft-long sofa with shot springs. I will have to keep your tut in mind as I go through the process of ripping it apart, reinforcing the seats & recovering it. I'm hoping to make two storage spaces inside the seats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wig-Over With Sherri Shepherd
How to Make a Blow Out Last Three Days
Wig Makeover With Sherri Shepherd
Hair Stylist for a Day Backstage at Thakoon Fall 2013 Runway Show
Romantic Hair: Vogue Waves
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...