A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problems understanding Spiderman Afghan Pattern?  (Read 2461 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JustNaz9

I hope there's pudding...<3

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2011 11:35:59 AM »

Hello Craftsters! I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks and I can't get over how wonderful and talented you all are. I just started crocheting a few weeks ago and I want to make the Spiderman Round Ripple Afghan (pattern: http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/angelcrafts/patterns/spidermanroundrippleafghan.html) but I'm having oodles of problems.

First of all, once I get to Round 3 my circle starts to become more of a basket. It curls up horrendously and the stitches look all uneven and funky. I've gone through round 4 and have ripped it out about 3 times. Any suggestions?

Secondly, I'm having a lot of problems understanding the pattern. For example, when it says:
"Rnd 4: sl st into ch 2 space, ch 3, 1 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space, * 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in next ch 2 space, repeat * around. Join"
Do the bolded dc's go into the chain two space as well? Or do they go into the stitches?

Thanks for all your help, I'm still new to patterns and this one isn't very clear to me.  Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You cut up a thing that's alive and beautiful to find out how it's alive and why it's beautiful, and before you know it, it's neither of those things, and you're standing there with blood on your face and tears in your sight and only the terrible ache of guilt to show for it."
Clive Barker
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011 01:05:35 PM »

If your project is turning into a basket shape, it's usually because there aren't enough stitches to go around (if it's ruffling, you have too many stitches).  Does the pattern have stitch counts at the end of each round?  If so, you'll want to double check your work.

As for the specific question:

"Rnd 4: sl st into ch 2 space, ch 3, 1 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in ch 2 space, * 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in next ch 2 space, repeat * around. Join"

The underlined instructions all go in the ch 2 space.  Also, in the first part, the "ch 3" counts as a dc stitch.

Without seeing the rest of the pattern, it's likely that every corner will work like this, where you'll always be working 2dc-ch2-2dc into the ch2 spaces of the previous round.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JustNaz9

I hope there's pudding...<3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011 07:09:39 PM »

Thank you so much! I'm still new to both crocheting AND reading patterns so I've still got a lot to learn but I figured out what I was doing wrong and my rounds lay much flatter now!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You cut up a thing that's alive and beautiful to find out how it's alive and why it's beautiful, and before you know it, it's neither of those things, and you're standing there with blood on your face and tears in your sight and only the terrible ache of guilt to show for it."
Clive Barker
HisTechnoAngel
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011 08:13:13 PM »

Hey there Smiley I'm currently working on this pattern myself... almost done- it's quite big!!! Anyway, yes- the bolded dcs' go into the space... the ch 3 acts as the first dc. See, you're making a little point with the 2dc, ch2, 2dc. You're going to do that whole bit into the space. I had the basket problem myself... it is possibly your stitches are too tight, or you need to go up a hook size. Once you get going on this, you'll be cruising along. Good luck and hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Would You Sacrifice for a Second Chance?
Noggin by John Corey Whaley Book Trailer
The Real Life of John Wayne, a Hollywood and American Icon
Southern Minute with Fannie Flagg
Joan Didion, Irony, and the Death of the California Dream
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...