A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pepper Pants!  (Read 2417 times)
Tags for this thread: planter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2011 08:51:08 AM »

I have a metric butt-load of cast off clothing in my attic, and I was sorting though them this morning. Unfortunately my son tears up jeans to the point that they really can't be re-used or repaired, so I thought I'd try repurposing them into something new.

Behold, my creation. (GRAAAAAAAH!)

I've got a jalapeno in one leg and a bell pepper in the other; if I was really clever I would have trimmed & gathered the bottom of each leg, but today is more of an "aw, screw it." type day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crannberry
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011 09:06:23 AM »

Bookmarking to show my hubby!  We live in an apartment with a tiny patio, so we are always looking for new ways to container garden. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What was the edge of the world like?"
"There was nothing there. But it was bright and the sky was pretty"

http://crannbeans.blogspot.com
jigdancer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011 09:12:45 AM »

Grin That's so fun! And so recyclable! If the cotton in the jeans starts to break down before your salsa ingredients are ready, you could plant the whole thing in a planter and let it continue to decompose on its own. Or you could hang a line of them in your yard and let the neighbours think you never take your laundry in Wink (I have some neighbours who would go crazy over that  concept!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011 07:13:48 PM »

Thanks guys!
Inside each leg is a three liter bottle to hold everything together. I noticed that someone made a planter out a bra as well...I wonder what other articles of clothing are going to show up here this year?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

Crochet, Chainmail, Amtgard, Theatre-I do that.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011 05:15:37 PM »

LOVE THIS!!! I am seriously making one when I get back home....

Only one thing-putting hot peppers next to bell peppers has been known to result in very hot bell peppers! They're all in the same basic family, and they will crosspollinate, so you may want to put more similar levels of heat in planters like this. It's not an issue if you're a spicy food fan, but if you're a wuss like me...Yikes! LOL!

Still an incredible idea, and one I will definitely be making use of. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011 04:55:33 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up Kismet, I hadn't even thought about that!
I am a spicy food fan, but I will have to test them before giving them to my kids.

Mmmm, spicy & sweet peppers...I should have called them Pollination Pants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011 03:21:02 PM »

I made mine! Not the greatest picture, but it gives an idea at least.  Smiley

I skipped the soda bottles in the legs, and just used Bonnie seedlings (the ones that you get at the garden center in a peat pot). I have Yellow Boy tomatoes in one leg, Roma tomatoes in the other. I used a couple of safety pins to pull the leg openings in around the main stem of each seedling, so it's adjustable as they get bigger and the stems get thicker. I also planted strawberries in the waistband, since I couldn't decide where to leave the dirt level after I got the tomatoes in. So I just filled 'em up! And then there was wasted space, and I've always been told strawberries and tomatoes grow well together... I decided to give it a shot!

Oh, and my LB plant now has a baby tomato! About the size of a big grape. Cheesy I'm surprised it's producing so soon, because I just put them in about 3 weeks ago, but my Roma is also putting on buds, so I think (fingers crossed!) that it'll be producing fruit soon too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011 10:24:02 PM »

That's great! I love the hanger, it makes the whole thing look much more finished. I'm going to have to move mine because the plants are not getting enough sun; I'll probably steal your idea. ;-P
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011 09:22:29 AM »

Make sure you go with one of the ultra sturdy ones if you use a hanger-I don't know about yours, but once I got plants and dirt, and water into mine, that thing weighs a TON! LOL!

I saved the cut off legs to mine, too, so I think I'm going to hem them up nicely, maybe put drawstrings or something similar in them, and use them to plant additional tomatoes...because you can never have too many tomatoes, right? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011 05:43:42 PM »

Hi. So I have a really dumb question...how do you keep the dirt from coming out when the plants are upside down like that? I have tried the soda bottle thing but it didn't work out and the plants died...
This is such a great idea and the pictures look neat...how do you do it???
HH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is the Secret to French Hair
Top Tips for Short Hair
How to Use Velcro Rollers
How to Use Temporary Hair Extensions
How to Use Hair Serum or Hair Oil
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...