A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Edited: Delicious soy burgers! tutorial with Big Images  (Read 3135 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , vegan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thesunandtheturtle
« on: March 15, 2011 10:56:23 AM »

Do you know that more than half of the water that is consumed in the world is used in cattle farming?

To produce one kilo of meat it is necessary to use more than 20.000 liters of water.
To produce in kilo of wheat it is use only 227 liters and for a kilo of rice 454 liters.

The cattle used in the meat industry around the world consume the amount of food equivalent to the caloric needs of 8.700 MILLIONS of people. That means more than the human population.

Every second the meat industry release in the rivers 125 tons of toxic waste in the rivers. Those toxic such as methane, ammonia, and carbon dioxide increase the contamination in our environment.

We encourage you to search information about what you eat. The nutrition and the manipulation of food is becoming a worldwide problem.

Soy is a very healthy alternative to red meat. It id rich in protein and easy to use in different recipes.

Thanks for watching and I hope your soy burgers taste delicious!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011 01:34:51 AM by thesunandtheturtle - Reason: text was not big enough to read » THIS ROCKS   Logged

buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011 02:38:54 PM »

Hey!  Would you by chance be willing to retype that out ?  Your pics are awesome but i'm having a hard time reading the recipe.   TY inadvance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011 07:17:22 PM »

I don't mean to bother you, but I would like to share a thought that may not have occurred to you (as most people don't think about it), non-meat proteins as a total substitute for meat are fine for folks without problems such as diabetes.

However, the carb count in grain-based proteins makes it nearly impossible for an active adult to get enough to eat before s/he runs out of carbs allowed for the meal. Your soy meat has 8 times MORE carbs than meat. Flour is very "expensive." My husband could have VERY little of this burger (a very small  patty), and then he'd be stuck trying to fill up on lettuce and other no-carb items. We count on a 3-ounce portion of lean meat, fish, or poultry at EVERY meal to help him get enough to eat and have enough energy. His numbers are great.

It's great that you want to eat soy in place of meat, but it's not a world-wide panacea.

I suspect food issues like this are going to need to join the list of things one doesn't talk about or proselytize about (money, religion, politics).

Thank you for "listening."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011 07:18:08 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
thesunandtheturtle
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011 01:35:45 AM »

Hey!  Would you by chance be willing to retype that out ?  Your pics are awesome but i'm having a hard time reading the recipe.   TY inadvance Smiley

Hi! I put the images bigger. Let me know if you still cant see so I can type the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thesunandtheturtle
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011 01:48:04 AM »

I don't mean to bother you, but I would like to share a thought that may not have occurred to you (as most people don't think about it), non-meat proteins as a total substitute for meat are fine for folks without problems such as diabetes.

However, the carb count in grain-based proteins makes it nearly impossible for an active adult to get enough to eat before s/he runs out of carbs allowed for the meal. Your soy meat has 8 times MORE carbs than meat. Flour is very "expensive." My husband could have VERY little of this burger (a very small  patty), and then he'd be stuck trying to fill up on lettuce and other no-carb items. We count on a 3-ounce portion of lean meat, fish, or poultry at EVERY meal to help him get enough to eat and have enough energy. His numbers are great.

It's great that you want to eat soy in place of meat, but it's not a world-wide panacea.

I suspect food issues like this are going to need to join the list of things one doesn't talk about or proselytize about (money, religion, politics).

Thank you for "listening."

Hi Graced:

Thanks you very much for your information about the soy. It is very helpful and I hope people with diabetes can read your comment. In my personal case it helps me a lot so I can control the use of soy and not consume it in my daily diet and avoid a future diabetes.

Anyway, I think there is more alternatives than soy for diabetic people that are friendly with other living beings. The control in what we eat is the clue (the excess always lead to negative consecuences).

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011 07:55:14 AM »

Oops, I didn't mean to leave you with the impression that soy CAUSES diabetes. It doesn't. For people who are healthy, soy is fine and even a good choice.

IF someone has diabetes, they must control carbohydrate intake by having only a certain number of carbs per meal, spread out evenly over the day. (Each person has a different number/schedule, set by a doctor or dietician.) They rely on low-carb, high-protein foods like meat, fish and poultry. It's all just a big balancing act!

Sorry for the confusion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
thesunandtheturtle
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011 11:53:37 AM »

Oops, I didn't mean to leave you with the impression that soy CAUSES diabetes. It doesn't. For people who are healthy, soy is fine and even a good choice.

IF someone has diabetes, they must control carbohydrate intake by having only a certain number of carbs per meal, spread out evenly over the day. (Each person has a different number/schedule, set by a doctor or dietician.) They rely on low-carb, high-protein foods like meat, fish and poultry. It's all just a big balancing act!

Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks you for your aclaration. It is very helpful all what you have teach us here Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011 08:45:21 AM »

Im not a carb counter either but when i make my veggie/vegan burgers i use brown rice and kidney beans...i mince up garlic and cut up some onions...add some cumin, italian seasoning (spices really are a palette choice here) ..i dont add sodium as my family and i have chosen to not add unneeded sodium.  I Mash my beans , combine and cook it in the oven..i dont mean to hijack a thread but there are so many alternatives to soy...as i think we tend to lean on soy as the only meat subsitute for vegans ... I also agree that if u have dietery needs outside the norm, visiting a dietician and your doctor are always a idea.

Ill have to look @ the pictures on my desktop..for some reaon everything is a PITA to read on my iPad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011 03:41:49 PM »

I used to make some blackbean burgers that sound very like yours, buffalogirl. We LOVED them! I think the only thing I did different was add a healthy dose of Louisiana hot sauce and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning in place of the Italian seasoning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011 05:07:44 PM »

Hot sauce and creole seasoning would be awesome...heck even blackbeans...those are a fav of mine...could eat a whole bowl fullwith some corn bread..omg making my mouth water...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Santa Origami
How to Create Origami Dragon
How to Do Origami Dogs
How to Do Origami
How to Create an Origami Butterfly
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...