A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help Japan swap and craft-a-long discussion  (Read 6499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2011 07:24:33 AM »

OK, guys, here's the word:

While you can't ask for direct donations on the threads or collect crafts to sell via Craftster, brainstorming how Craftsters in general can craft for Japan efforts is okay. Getting into detailed processes how to form a group on Craftster, or sending money or crafts to a specific Craftster, etc. is not okay. 

I would suggest you might try to find groups accepting handmade items for Japan and form an accompanying Craftster craftalong, where you can all motivate each other to keep crafting and sending pieces for it. So Ruby Tuesday, your Japan-along thread is perfect!

If you are worried about your craftalong not getting enough attention, we could totally put it in the blog and draw some love to it (as long as there is an established charity to send the projects to & not just one person from Craftster). You may also want to put the link to the Japan-along on the first post of this thread, so people coming to it from Hot New Topics will see it.

I hope this helps.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2011 07:45:55 AM »

Decision! Yay!
So, let me see if I have understood this completely...
it's okay to have a fundraising site which is not on craftster, but we can have the craftalong here - and as long as donations go directly to the Red Cross (if aethelberga and me are going to organize it, it's going to be for the Red Cross), we can even open advertise the sales site on the craftalong, and you will feature that on the blog?
Really, you would do that? Oh, I love the mod squad! Grin Well, I do that anyway Grin but this really is great!
Although... it amuses me that we're discussing this in a thread that has by now become mostly illegal Grin

OK, as for organizational things: So far, athelberga and me are the volunteers to organize, open for more volunteers anytime! We're currently looking into sites like tumblr or LJ, and we'll point you to the actual place as soon as we've solved the main issues.
So, keep an eye on the Japan-a-long!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=375812.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2011 02:48:35 PM »

Hey all,

We realize that our rules here in the Crafting for Good and Not Evil weren't completely clear, so we're going to rectify that soon.  The gist now is:

• You CANNOT ask people to donate or send items to you.
    • Example: I'm gathering items to send to Little Dresses for Africa! Please send your dresses to my address and I'll send them to the organization.
  • You CAN give a link or address to a 501(c)3/Non Profit company so that other people can send items to them directly.
    • Example: I made these for Little Dresses for Africa. You can send your own to them directly at the following address.

So for your craftalong, if you can find a Non Profit taking in kind donations (donations of "things" so to speak), you're free to post it in the thread.  You can't ask that people send the items to one Craftster for sale or distribution.

In kind donations (ie crafted items themselves) won't help much at this time and most places will not accept them.  IF you want to sell items and donate the money, I would suggest you all either do it individually (via your own etsy or ?) OR find a reputable way to do it in a group setting. There are many, many issues that can come up when you send items to one person to be listed in a "group" shop.  Not the least of which, in this case, is that you're wasting money on postage that could be donated instead. 

So my personal advice to you is to keep on keepin' on in the Japan Craftalong, sending love and thoughts, crafting,  and discussing ways to help, as long as they fall within these guidelines. IF you sell the items you're making in that craftalong that's fine, just make sure they follow the rules of Craftster (meaning give some information about how it was made and don't link to or mention your shop in the post itself).  You can always state in your signature that you are donating money from your Etsy sales to the Red Cross in Japan or wherever you decide to give.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2011 03:20:18 PM »

Hm, no, it's still not entirely clear to me.
So I can direct people to an Etsy shop (which on the other hand wouldn't meet the requirement that the donations are going to a well reputed organization, because well, first they're going to the Etsy seller), but not to a site where any cent goes directly to the organization? (Because what we have in mind is people directly donating, in exchange for crafted items which are sent directly from the maker.)
Or can I direct people to the fundraising site, but only in my signature, not in the thread posts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2011 03:43:55 PM »

Hm, no, it's still not entirely clear to me.
So I can direct people to an Etsy shop (which on the other hand wouldn't meet the requirement that the donations are going to a well reputed organization, because well, first they're going to the Etsy seller),

No, not unless it's run by a 501(c)3 OR completely not affiliated with you (ie someone on the www starts a shop and you just choose to promote it). That's in line with the regular Craftster rules and the new Crafting for Good not Evil rules.

but not to a site where any cent goes directly to the organization? (Because what we have in mind is people directly donating, in exchange for crafted items which are sent directly from the maker.)

As before, it's not a matter of the money not going to charity, it's more of a matter of self-promotion. If it's a 501(c)3 or not affiliated in any way, then it's ok, but any kind of self-promotion or asking for donations personally isn't really ok.

Or can I direct people to the fundraising site, but only in my signature, not in the thread posts?

You can definitely put any link related to this in your signature.

We know this is all for a good cause and we're not trying to just make it difficult for no reason. It's just hard to make exceptions for any case because it muddies the waters and makes things difficult to understand (even more than now Cheesy).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011 04:00:14 PM »

OK, I think I got it now.
I really don't think you're making things difficult, you've all been supportive and tried to clear all uncertainties. I would have loved things to be closer related to craftster, but when we were discussing organizing it outside from the beginning, we were already aware it would be difficult.
I think we now have a firm ground to build upon, and can craft here and signature-promote as we like.
I'd still like it if the Japan-along made it to the blog, but probably in a few days when there's more to show off would be better.
Thanks for going into all the details with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imera
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2011 02:55:21 AM »

This is a wonderful idea, and I would join the craftalong and sell my the items but I am extremely slow for 'selling' stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to give money for the helping organizations, I have actually given money to helping organizations already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2011 03:21:49 AM »

And don't forget you can support by buying the handmade stuff there, not only making it Grin Grin
A test dummy site is already up, so you should soon see something in our signatures Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imera
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2011 03:28:19 AM »

Was thinking about buying, but until I found the ones that do sell items I could only help by sending money Cheesy looking forward for the link Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2011 08:32:18 PM »

Saw this elsewhere, thought of this discussion thread...maybe somebody could set up something like this for proceeds to go to Japan? (Maybe somebody's church or civic organization would take the lead?)

"I have an idea for those with heaps of yarn but short attention spans   (yes Im still destashing, its just mostly been for swaps) here in NZ theres a clothing chain called Glassons who have called out to all knitters (Im hoping crocheters too) for scarves. What they will do, for every scarf you make (at about 1.5-1.8m in length) they will sell them in their stores for $25 and ALL the proceeds go to the Quake relief here for the Christchurch earthquake. So if you want to destash and get the warm fuzzies, whip up some scarves...." from bubblegum_phoenix's post in the destashalong 2011.

Her link: http://www.glassons.com/index.php/page/getknitting

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011 08:44:00 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Buttermilk Mask for Healthy Hair
How to Make a Banana Hair Mask to Combat Frizz
How to Make a Front Side-Braid
How to Make a Natural Oil Mask for Damaged Hair
How to Prevent Frizz
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...