A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help Japan swap and craft-a-long discussion  (Read 6032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011 12:59:50 PM »

That sounds like a good plan! I'm still pondering with the idea to make it swappable, but we could always include that I guess...
I'm glad to hear some crafty folks on ravelry are holding up the crafty honour... they should do something about their tag words though, if google doesn't cough them up...
Wow, must have a look there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
11denson
Basically, I have two speeds. Hostile or smart-alek. Your choice.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011 02:08:33 PM »

So, what's the plan so far?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Quitting something...And doing something...Both have the same meaning. They are accomplishments. The two necessary items are sincerity and action."
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011 02:25:07 PM »

Right now, I'd say, looking who's interested, and tossing around ideas. Also, I'm working on some prototype.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
11denson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011 02:58:23 PM »

Right now, I'd say, looking who's interested, and tossing around ideas. Also, I'm working on some prototype.
I'm definitely interested. I'm poor, but I'm going to do whatever I can to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Quitting something...And doing something...Both have the same meaning. They are accomplishments. The two necessary items are sincerity and action."
aethelberga
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011 03:03:07 PM »

Maybe we could approach the mods on this. Maybe something like this has been done before. But definitely with all the anime fans on here we should be able to get something going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

11denson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011 03:04:52 PM »

I've looked and looked, but I couldn't find any (craft)groups to join up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011 03:07:38 PM »

There are already some resources available on Craftster that you may find useful.  There is, of course, the Crafting For Good & Not Evil board--there's already one thread about helping Japan there.  There's also the Miscellaneous Board where you can start a "Help Japan!" Craftalong, maybe that way everyone can contribute as they're able?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011 03:45:27 PM »

Maybe if we sell everything on an etsy shop & then donate the money to the Red Cross. So we all do an example of our very best stuff, maybe with a Japanese theme, & then put it all up in the same shop?

I like this idea, and I'd be happy to contribute.

Having had a fatal earthquake here in New Zealand just a few weeks ago, the disaster in Japan feels very close to home. We are still facing huge problems and costs for Christchurch (and that's a very much smaller place; it's hard to imagine the scale of what's happening in Japan). I know people here are feeling for our friends in Japan very much. Red Cross is a great choice to fundraise for- they are a organisation that can put the money where it is most needed. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011 04:36:45 PM »

I've seen the entry in Crafting for Good and not Evil and I was very delighted it was there!
The craft-a-long is something I've been thinking about - some have a good energy, but I can't let go entirely of the swap idea because of the energy and the attention involved... and the craft-a-long idea is still a bit hazy as long as we haven't got an Etsy store, so currently, I'd like to see what ideas brainstorming brings up.
Sell together? Sell separately? Work together? Separately? Small groups, larger groups? If we say, each one make something, somewhen... everyone make something themselves is something we can do without craftster... what can we do together? How?
Maybe the craft-a-long can be combined with Etsy... for example, I read that the kokeshi dolls originally came from the region of Sendai which has been struck so hard... that's something that could be made by different people to get different styles... just an idea I'm currently playing with...

@jemima: Oh yes, the earthquake in New Zealand... oddly enough, it helped restore my kid's faith in humankind, seeing how people helped each other, when they had seen Haiti before.
Glad to have you onboard!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011 04:38:48 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeye

i love my horse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011 06:58:42 PM »

Could you have a crafting deadline like a swap, at the end of which the participants send the organizer a pic of what they have made to put on etsy to sell. Then when the item does sell they send it to the buyer? The only drawback of course being the  participants would want some sort of guarantee their money was going to charity.

I think something like this could make a big difference, even if this time around it only makes a little money. Next time something happens people will remember and hopefully it could turn into a regular thing.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=375605.0...wish I had seen this thread before I posted this  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Delicious, Unique Waffle Recipes
Homemade Ketchup Recipe
Dorie Greenspan: Serving Innovation
Richard Blais: Serving Innovation
How to Make Grilled Breakfast Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...