A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help Japan swap and craft-a-long discussion  (Read 7169 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 15, 2011 01:12:59 AM »

I'm glued to the news these days, so shocked about what happened to the people in Japan, and I need a crafty outlet - what would you think about a swap or craft-a-long (althought the energy of a swap is different) that combines, somehow, crafting and charity for helping Japan?

News:
There's now a Japan-a-long where you can post Japan related crafts whether they're related to fundraising or not:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=375812.0

And there will soon be a site outside of craftster where you can offer crafts in exchange for donations.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011 07:53:30 AM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FinRaziel
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011 09:01:45 AM »

i would be interested, i can't stop reading the articles and i would love to do something to help because i feel so awful for everyone affected. did you have any ideas in mind on specifics? im not sure how i could be crafty and helpful...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

make a friend swap: planning/crafting
one tiny stuffie round 5: crafting!

15/50 projects in 2011: link

wists.com/FinRaziel
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011 09:29:01 AM »

I haven't really thought it through to the end yet, all I knew was I'd love to do something on craftster as it is my online home and with all the Japanese crafts I've seen, I thought maybe someone would like to join me in giving something back to Japan.
The organization that cares for the homeless people in the emergency shelters is the Red Cross which would be the first that comes to my mind when thinking of fundraising.
Swap-wise, I was very vaguely of a combination of swapping, crafting and selling... we could call it a Givers-and-Needers swap... technically, I'm not certain if we can sell swap items, not even for charity... but I think if we really want to, we'll find a way...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011 09:31:44 AM »

Maybe if we sell everything on an etsy shop & then donate the money to the Red Cross. So we all do an example of our very best stuff, maybe with a Japanese theme, & then put it all up in the same shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FinRaziel
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011 09:39:57 AM »

yea that seems like it could work somehow. i would be willing to donate crafts to give the proceeds to charity. we would need ways to advertise probably, but there are so many ppl on craftser, we could all link it on facebook and blogs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/FinRaziel
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011 09:55:43 AM »

Yes... that's something... especially as I couldn't raise much money by selling on a German online site. I guess my chances would be a lot better if I sat on our farmer's market on a Saturday and sold stuff in person.
But I could of course ship stuff everywhere if they sold on Etsy... that would probably be more of a craft-a-long style... except if we make it sweat shoppe style, like, make several items, swap one, sell the rest... and the swapped stuff we could still try to sell or do something with...
This is not about scraping up lots of money anyway I guess (I read that online gamers have raised a million dollars already), but it'll be something to do instead of just watching... I know I will be making Japanese things for a long time now anyway...
FinRaziel, I hadn't even thought of the multiplication possibilities of the community... hm, I guess that means Ebay would probably raise more as people can bid higher?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FinRaziel
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011 10:02:12 AM »

yea not to sound like a downer, but i doubt we could raise enough money to matter a whole lot. your point about the gamers, and i just read some articles about an excess of fundraising.  i don't know if money is what is needed.

on the other hand, i think a japanese inspired craftalong might be nice, just to do something in honor of a beautiful country that is going through such a devastating time. maybe we could have people post tutorials for japanese crafts and stuff on it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/FinRaziel
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011 10:24:23 AM »

Well, maybe others raise more money, but do we know if it'll be enough? With the slow motion nuclear desaster moving, there's currently no telling who is going to need what and how much... if we think Japan is already well donated for, we could always donate to the Red Cross without telling them it needs to go to Japan...
For me, this is more about what I personally can do, and I'm well aware I'm only one person with limited options, but I just don't want to do anything. So many things from Japan has made me happy in bad times, I want to give back. And if I can craft along with it, all the better...
I googled how many craft related fund raising there is, and hardly found any... then I looked for anime inspired, and yes, many anime pages are aware of it and support some fund raiser or ask people to donate.
I sure can't give much, but if many give something, it will build up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FinRaziel
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011 10:45:03 AM »

you are totally right, any help is good help. and the red cross is also a really good place to donate too, because they will use the money where it is much needed. also, for interested yarnies, i found this thread on ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/patterns/1574893/1-25#5
you can find lots of links of pattern and craft sellers who are donating proceeds to japan. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/FinRaziel
aethelberga
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011 12:08:45 PM »

We could use ebay, but I understand it is a hotbed of fraud, plus on ebay everyones looking for a bargain. I think that we'd be more likely to get more money on etsy. On etsy people are looking for art & will pay more. My thought would be that if someone already had an etsy shop they could set up a subsidiary shop for this occasion & the proceeds of everything in that shop would go to Japan. They wouldn't even have to make anything, their contribution would be handling the sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing: How to Reheat
The History of Glass Blowing
Glass Blowing: How Glass Is Shaped
Quilting: Making Easy Blocks
Quilting: Pillowcases You Can Make
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...