A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: spa swap basket with recipes  (Read 6684 times)
Tags for this thread: gift_basket , record_bowl , lip_balm , bath_bomb , sugar_scrub  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

macaulkv
« on: May 31, 2005 10:40:33 PM »

for a recent spa-themed craft swap, i made the following items:

in a record bowl, lemon/bergamont scented lip balm, lemon/bergamont bath bombs (fizzies), a soap scrubbie, a sugar scrub and a store-bought clay mask package.

a close up of the hand-made goods. here's the recipes:

bath bomb/fizzies recipe (from Brenda Sharpe and i've always been happy with the results)

1 cup of baking soda
1/2 cup of citric acid
1/2 cup of cornstarch
1/3 cup of epsom salt (you could also use sea salt, kosher salt or even table salt though I've never tried it)

blend dry ingredients in a ziploc bag. in a glass jar with tight lid, mix the following:

2 1/2 tablespoons light oil (I use 2 tbs almond oil and 1/2 tbs jojoba oil, but you could use olive oil, sweet almond oil, canola oil, etc. Do not use baby or mineral oil)
3/4 tablespoon water (rose/floral/regular)
40 drops essential oil or fragrance oil
1/4 teaspoon borax powder (found in the detergent section of most supermarkets)
a few drops of desired food coloring

i shake the jar to mix wet ingredients and then slowly add wet to dry ingredients, drizzling 1/2 teaspoon of liquid at a time and mixing quickly. repeat until wet is completely mixed in. the idea is to not let it fizz. mixture should begin to clump and hold shape when squeezed by the time all your liquid has been added. press into molds. i use plastic Easter eggs, ice cube trays (with a little unscented PAM sprayed in), soap molds, paper dixie cups or jello molds. when using the Easter eggs or a plastic Christmas ball, pack plenty of the fizzie stuff in each half then press together firmly. let dry for 24 hours before tapping firmly on the bottom of the mold with a butter knife and easing out. keep in glass jar or wrap in plastic. scent should last for 6 months.

coffee and sugar scrub
i coarse ground some coffee beans, added a bunch of sugar, some jojoba oil and almond oil and about 5-10 drops of vanilla essential oil and blend to desired consistancy. add more coffee or sugar or oils as needed.

soap scrubbie
melt and pour glycerine soap with small scrubbie embedded. i used bergamont essential oil to scent the soap.

lip balm
i used the mango lip solutions as a base (found here http://www.thesage.com/catalog/LipSolutions.html), melted it and added bergamont & lemon essential oils.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cat-n-Caboodle
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005 02:23:04 AM »

Wow!  What a nice surprise for the person receiving it.  I bet that Coffee and Vanilla Scrub smells devine!

Great work

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Addicted to Soap
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005 03:23:20 PM »

wowwwwwwwwww this is amazing, how do u make labels for all of this stuff, and do u have a website
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.magdoline.com Everything about my life.
www.addictedtosoap.com Everything about soap.
macaulkv
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005 09:23:33 PM »

wowwwwwwwwww this is amazing, how do u make labels for all of this stuff, and do u have a website

Although I've toyed with the idea of making stuff for profit, so far it's just a hobby. I used some clip art and compose my product labels in Adobe's Illustrator program and print them out from the computer. Easy peasy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Addicted to Soap
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005 07:57:43 PM »

ok for the lip balm why do u use mango base in stead of the other bases, and do u like this websites products bc it looks pretty good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

macaulkv
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005 12:39:32 AM »

ok for the lip balm why do u use mango base in stead of the other bases, and do u like this websites products bc it looks pretty good.

I got the mango base because it seemed sort of interesting, who doesn't like a little mango on their lips? Anyway, I haven't tried all the bases yet, but I'm really happy with what this company offers, good products, cheap prices. The mango lip solutions is a good base for balm in tubes or tins/pots. The base is also non-smelly so my essential/flavor oils work great and don't have to compete with another smell! Oh yeah, and a little goes a LONG way (I scooped out about two tablespoons and it melted it down and it was enough for one pot and two tubes) so it'll be a while before I try the other bases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Addicted to Soap
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005 12:47:47 PM »

would you consider sending me your spa basket , i really love it cant stop looking at it. it is so eye catching
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the.fee.fairy
Faeryish

Flying free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005 04:08:36 PM »

um. hello
this si my first post, so hello everyone

i was just wondering, how do you get the lip balm into the tube? i know that sounds silly, but the pouring into a pot i can understand, but not how to get it into a tube!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

'The Secret to living's Not Dying' - Kilnaboy
macaulkv
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005 04:43:43 PM »

um. hello
this si my first post, so hello everyone

i was just wondering, how do you get the lip balm into the tube? i know that sounds silly, but the pouring into a pot i can understand, but not how to get it into a tube!!

you want to get yourself some of these, it makes filling lip balm tubes soo easy!

i buy mine from Majestic Mountain Sage for really reasonable prices, (100 pack for $5.75). they come in large and small (i use small) and are excellent for transfering hot melted lip balm into small tubes/pots and for dropping essential/flavor oils into mixes. i usually wash them in soap & hot water and squeeze out excess oil to reuse, though some prefer to buy more.

here's a link:
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/Equipment.html?mmsID=8c46b146a609d8a738084750bb963960
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009 02:21:53 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005 01:17:57 PM »

Wherever did you find lip balm tubes? I have been on a wild monkey hunt ( Wink Cheesy) for these for months! Either they're not tubes amde for lip balm or I can only get packs of like, 500. Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Figuring Out What Styles Work for Each Face Shape
How To Do Three Easy Hair Styles With Oscar Blandi Styling Pin
Behind the Scenes With Indique Hair Boutique
Smurf-Style Your Hair: The Big Pony Braid
The Top Hair Trends From NYFW Fall 2013: Braids and Ponytails
Latest Blog Articles
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...