A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pea and Pomegranate Samosas  (Read 1401 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , pear , pomegranate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

foodieandthechef
« on: March 14, 2011 04:12:05 AM »

For more pictures and the full post I'd love for you to visit me at my blog http://foodieandthechef.com/2011/03/pomegranate-and-pea-samosas/ (Website no longer exists - jungrrl)

http://foodieandthechef.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/samosa1-1024x682.jpg

I thought I loathed samosas - greasy packets of stodgy dough filled with a scant amount of potato-heavy filling.  So when my (not so) little brother asked me to make them for his next dinner at my place, I was hesitant.  Far from the oily take-away counterparts that dear Tom had in mind, these made for a surprising light and fresh Indian treat.  The vibrant pomegranate seeds offset the sweet peas and savoury spices, all encased in a fine golden pastry.

I love pomegranate in salads, desserts and as a lovely pair to game meat (try to get your hands on some pomegranate molasses - or make some yourself).  That being said, my favourite way to devour the wonderfully tangy fruit is to simply roll the whole pomegranate on a hard surface to crush and loosen all the seeds, poke a straw through the crimson red skin and slurp up the fresh juice straight from the source.

pomegranate and pea samosas

makes 12 samosas

* vegetable/ sunflower oil, for deep frying

for the dough

* 500g (4 cups) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
    * 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
    * 2 tbsp ghee or rice bran/ vegetable oil

for the filling

* 100g (2 small) potatoes
    * 150g (1 cup) frozen or shelled peas
    * 4 tbsp ghee or rice bran/ vegetable oil
    * 1 tsp cumin seeds
    * 1 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
    * 4-5 green chillies, chopped (de-seed them if you don't like things too hot)
    * 1 tsp chilli or cayenne pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground tumeric
    * 1 tsp ground coriander
    * seeds from one pomegranate
    * 1 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
    * salt, to taste

the dough

1. Put the flour and ground tumeric in a large bowl and mix with the ghee and just enough water to form a stiff dough.
   2. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll into balls.  Cover with a damp cloth.

the filling

1. Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 20 minutes, or until soft. then drain and allow to cool.
   2. Peel off the potato skins, return to the pan and mash.
   3. Cook the peas in another pan of boiling water for 5 minutes, or until soft.
   4. Heat the ghee in a deep, heavy-based pan.  Add the cumin seeds and fry over medium heat for about 15 seconds.
   5. Add the ginger, chillies, chilli powder, tumeric, coriander and season with salt.  Stir fry for about 1 minute, add the potatoes and peas and stir fry for another minute.
   6. Add the pomegranite seeds and coriander and stir.
   7. When the filling is cool, divide into 12 equal portions.

to finish

1. Place the balls of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into relatively thin rounds, 20cm in diameter.  Cut in half.
   2. Place a portion of the filling on the center of the dough.  Bring the two corners of the dough together and overlap their edges (using a little water so that they stick) to form a cone.
   3. Fold over the open top of the cone and stick down with a little water.  If you'd like a visual guide, here's a great tutorial.  Repeat for the remaining samosas.
   4. Heat enough oil for deep-frying to 180C in a deep-fryer or a deep, heavy-based pan.  When hot enough, a cube of bread should brown in 30 seconds.
   5. Working in batches, add the samosas carefully to the hot oil and fry for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
   6. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012 11:52:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

queensqueeze
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011 10:46:18 PM »

These look amazing! What a great sounding combo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011 02:42:22 PM »

Wow, that sounds so yummy!  Will def have to try out your recipe..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thimbletop

Thimbletop - Hand-embroidered housewares

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011 08:03:06 PM »

These look so good.  I can't wait to try making some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hydrogenjukebox
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011 10:31:17 AM »

wow, i love samosas but I never thought about putting pomegranate in them! amazing! I'll have to try this!

would you be interested in featuring this recipe or one like it on my food/craft blog: hydrogen-jukebox.com

let me know!

xoxo,
katie Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chalmers
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012 08:31:15 AM »

Good recipe for the pea and pomegranate samosas.
I like your this recipe, and will get help from your this recipe for preparing these pea and pomegranate samosas.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Mexican Bark Painting Part 1
How to Make an Aboriginal Style Drawing Part 1
How to Make an Aboriginal Style drawing Part 2
How to Make an Aboriginal Style drawing Part 3
How to MASTER Drawing an Eye in 5 minutes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...