A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lovely Kitchen Buffet with lovely pics  (Read 2199 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnniFromBerlin
« on: March 14, 2011 02:51:38 AM »

Dear fellow Craftsters,

my first big project post here:

When I first saw this kitchen buffet at our local thrift store I instantly fell in love with it. And my boyfriend instantly hated it!
It took a couple of weeks and several visits to that thrift store for me to ask if they would lower the price on it. The price tag said 99 and it's been at the store for a while now.
So they were willing to sell it to me for 50 plus 20 transportation (cause in Germany no one my age owns a car, especially in the city).
So that was two weeks ago, they dropped it off and mentioned that one foot fell off, so they would reduce the costs to 50 total.. deal!

This is what the bottom part looked like after screwing off the first door to see how the paint would turn out.

This is the top part:

Notice the lovely keys Wink

Also very weird symbols on the back of the top part. Anyone recognize those?

Here you can see my lovely boyfriend scraping away the paint, actually only roughening it up so that the new paint would stay on.
He still hated the thing, but I had promised him that when we would be done he'd love it Wink

And here he is painting the skeleton of the cupboard. We chose grey for the skeleton of the cupboard and a light purple (indian rose) for the doors, well, I chose it ...

It's almost finished! We still needed doorknobs and space in the kitchen to put it in place.

Notice the Alien gift paper wrap on the top shelf!

Got the doorknobs at a hardware store and moved our ikea cupboards to the basement and here it is!

Took two weeks total and altogether costs about 100.

I love it and my boyfriend likes it now... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smallhold
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011 05:49:33 AM »

Anni, those symbols at the back look very much like a 50s pattern. Could there have been wallpaper, kitchenpaper or something on it that etched acid paint into the wood?
It's unusual to paper the back of a cupboard but maybe it lived in a big house and was in the middle of a kitchen.
You know, with the back to a ecketisch or something.
Front to the cooker and sink, back to the corner table with corner bench?

Other than that, lovely job. And for that kind of money, a steal.
I have something similar in my little hutch in the Altmark and love love love my kitchen cupboard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hi, my name is Smallhold and I compulsively collect looms."
"Hi Smallhold."
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011 06:40:38 AM »

What a beautiful buffet! I liked the original colors a lot, so if it was mine, I would have kept them. But your choice of colors makes it very 'fresh' and lively. I understand why you love it! (And roses to your boyfriend, for working on a project, he didn't like  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011 07:03:41 AM »

Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnniFromBerlin
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011 09:01:46 AM »

What a beautiful buffet! I liked the original colors a lot, so if it was mine, I would have kept them. But your choice of colors makes it very 'fresh' and lively. I understand why you love it! (And roses to your boyfriend, for working on a project, he didn't like  Cool

Yes! He's the best, actually.. we did most of the work on the weekend and since I like to sleep in he started to work on it in the mornings (cause that way he'd "get it over with faster" Wink)

The colour was a bit too granny like for my personal taste, but my parents also begged me to keep it that way..

Anni, those symbols at the back look very much like a 50s pattern. Could there have been wallpaper, kitchenpaper or something on it that etched acid paint into the wood?

Thank you for the info! There was no sign of a wallpaper, but it does look like the pattern was etched into the wood...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickybiker
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011 10:54:30 AM »

oooh, nice!  And such a bargain!

I do love a good hunk of old wooden furniture revamped, they are sooooo much better than the modern stuff.  Very nice work.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yaxbooty
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011 04:12:47 PM »

The pink is so cute and funky!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junebug6162
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011 08:06:10 PM »

beautiful!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011 04:10:46 PM »

The colors you picked are VERY 1950's!!!  My granny had her whole house panted that grey and the porch that pink!!!  My Pa loved her very much to happily live in such a girly house with her!!!  lol  She would have wanted to mug you for your awesome buffet!!!!  I love that you got dbf to do so much work on it!!!  Smiley  *thumbs up*  GREAT job!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Smith on 100 Sideways Miles
A New Family Saga from Bestselling Author Garth Stein
Jhumpa Lahiri on Her Writing Process
The New Yorker Gets Refreshed
Geoff Dyer Talks with Rebecca Mead
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...