A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An honest question about race  (Read 3816 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Carly10
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2005 05:49:12 PM »

I think that your site would look more professional if you used a variety of women in different sizes. I also agree with one of the previous posters about using dress forms. I think it would make your site look very good if you modeled the clothers on dress forms instead of people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tenika
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2005 09:41:34 PM »

i wouldn't mind if you were the only one that modeled the clothes...i've seen another site with an african american crafty girl modeled all her things & i didn't think anything of it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[ Tenika M. ]
Scarlet Beautiful. nifty tees for sale.
http://www.scarletbeautiful.com
wist list
GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2005 09:50:12 PM »

I think that your site would look more professional if you used a variety of women in different sizes. I also agree with one of the previous posters about using dress forms. I think it would make your site look very good if you modeled the clothers on dress forms instead of people.
I'll admit that I haven't read this entire thread (tis way late at night and my eyes hurt Tongue) but I will say that I disagree with this comment. I think live models are much more interesting and approachable than dress forms. One can see how the product looks on an actual person rather than on plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schmoo
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2005 10:01:15 PM »

I haven't read every comment, but honestly I think you should stick with what you know-the petite frame. Knitwear often tends to flatten out a petite person, and you may have found your particular niche in the market if you can design knitwear that flatters rather than flattens a slim, small-boned and small-breasted body. I know that my friends that are built this way have a very hard time finding sweaters that don't turn them into shapeless little girls, whereas I, a busty rather thicker body type, don't usually have much problem filling out a sweater.

As for the race thing-shouldn't we all be over this by now? We're all part of the human race and we all have something positive to contribute. The best thing I can offer is to laugh in your pictures-people respond positively to happy pictures and are more likely to purchase a sweater if it's worn by a person who seems to be happy. Give your models things to play with-fans, boas, confetti-make the pictures active, not static. It gives a better idea of how a sweater will look on a moving body, and since very few of us live in a static pose this is more realistic.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005 10:04:32 PM by Schmoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2005 05:23:36 AM »

I see another issue here.  Buying on the net has a lot of uncertainty:  where is this company?  will they really ship my goods?  what if I hate it?  will it fit?  etc.  And there are lots of scams out there.  If you have only Asian faces on your website, buyers could figure that this company is in Asia, and will be more complicated and more risky to deal with.  Or if they have a "buy American" philosophy, they'll be put off. 

If you're going to show faces, I think it's important to have more than Asian faces, or to establish that you're a US company some other way.  It's tricky.  If you make too much of a big deal, it makes you look like you're protesting too much. 

If you can come up with a simple mannequin (sp?) I think that's the best answer - look at Anthropologie.  That gives you uniformity without the distracting issues of race, body type, etc. 

(I am a marketing consultant to small businesses.  I always look at these questions in terms of "what will this communicate to a new visitor.")

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2005 07:58:35 AM »

Clothing looks better on a hanger - if you've got small porportions, I'd say there's certainly no disadvantage to it, Asian or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teraspawn
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2005 01:10:54 PM »

The only reason I could think of that would make race a problem would be whether the colour of the garment would go with the buyer's skin-colour (which goes for stuff modeled by people of all colours, though, right?), so I generally like it best when people have pictures of the garment on its own against a plain background as well as worn, so you can see the colour and the form.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StephInTheCity
candy-coated crafter

Crafting is sexy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2005 01:25:41 PM »

This has nothing to do with the original question of race, but I do love sites like www.neighborhoodies.com that use funky action shots to show their clothes.  And if you decide to go with multiple models, why not post something on craigslist.org (if your city is on there) to recruit some girls who are willing to help out for free?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was any more open, I'd be inside out.
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2005 01:49:01 PM »

And there are lots of scams out there.  If you have only Asian faces on your website, buyers could figure that this company is in Asia, and will be more complicated and more risky to deal with.  Or if they have a "buy American" philosophy, they'll be put off. 

If you're going to show faces, I think it's important to have more than Asian faces, or to establish that you're a US company some other way.  It's tricky.  If you make too much of a big deal, it makes you look like you're protesting too much. 

Just because someone is of Asian descent doesn't mean she's Asian. When I see people of African descent, I never automatically assume that they're from Africa, I assume they are American, like me. For some reason, I think that the tendency to assume Asian-looking people are actually Asian and not American is higher. A friend of mine's parents immigrated from the Phillipines before he was born, and nothing bothers him more than people assuming he is Chinese, not American. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you are American, you don't have an "Asian face," and you shouldn't worry about it. Maybe this is kind of idealistic, but if I were in your position, it's the stance I would take. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starsview
Queen of Procrastination

I've been meaning to make myself a crown...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2005 01:55:27 PM »

If they aren't going to but something from you because you are Asian-American, then you don't want to sell to such bigotted people anyways...

I'll buy from anyone no matter shape/size/race/appreance/sexual orientation. If they know what they are are talking about... then thats good enough for me.

Happy Selling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thats Mrs. McGonigal to you! No really! ✩10.25.09

wistsportfoliosketchbook
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dazzle Her with Diamonds This Holiday
Easy & Festive Holiday Beauty Tutorials
Holiday Makeup Tutorial
How to Do a Classic Red Lip
Transforming Your Look with a Pop of Color
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...