A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy shop is stealing from me & maybe you too!!!  (Read 6299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nauticalstar8
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011 11:55:46 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that someone is doing that to you. That seriously sux after all the work you put into your photos to have someone rip you off. I don't exactly remember the rules about links, but I think this one would be ok considering it's on in competition with Crafster and it's completely free. I reviewed several of watermark sites, and this one was the easiest to use. You might have to mess with it a bit to get it exactly how you want. Hope this helps!

http://picmarkr.com/index.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jamanarchy

Flavors outside of the average jam jar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011 08:10:06 AM »

A little FYI on Copyright Law:  Anything you create is automatically protected by US Copyright Law.  The reason why people "register" is to have a formal document with all the details.  If there is no registration, you are still protected, but it may be more difficult to prove in a court type situation.  You do not need to take extra steps so that you are protected.  A simple notice in your shop is sufficient.  (I am NOT a lawyer, but I just graduated from law school with a focus on Intellectual Property.)

It always shocked me that craft/art people do not know that they automatically have a copyright the instant they produce something. I do have some patterns that have a formal copyright because they always get stolen. But for line drawings etc I just always make sure I put a date on the original to prove when it was created.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinervaLRenfield
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011 03:40:33 PM »

This kind of thing has always upset me about Etsy.  They act like they're there for their sellers, but they won't do anything to help the sellers unless they absolutely have to. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bleuberry
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012 07:30:34 PM »

I'd contact some people, see about getting it removed, then start watermarking your photos...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PyrateWench
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012 11:01:08 AM »

I know this is an older thread - but I'd just like to point out some previous mis-information that someone can't "steal" your photos and copyright them against you. Digital items are considered Intellectual Property and belongs to you and you have rights to it when posted online, regardless of if you ever send in for actual copyright status. As others suggested, flagging and complaining to Etsy, sending info to Regretsy.com, watermarking your images and sending cease and desist letters to the person in question are all great tips. All your original images posted online ARE protected and do legally belong to you, so I hope the issue was resolved!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Taking Care of Your Hair This Winter
Top 7 Hair Myths
Top Hair Trends of 2013
How to Do a Braided Updo for Curly Hair
How to Get an Updo for Christmas
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...