A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy shop is stealing from me & maybe you too!!!  (Read 6285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 13, 2011 09:46:03 AM »

This etsy shop "fortheloveofdre" has lifted photos of my items & has undercut my prices... how low is that?

Check out the 'cropped' image of my original custom sprinkles initial ring she's using here (in green)...compared with my original rings (in pink)

And here, she's cropped my photo of my red glitter heart adjustable ring! (mine is highlighted in pink & hers...the copy is in green)

"Latifah Bates" obviously has no scruples or conscience whatsoever to be doing this to me...and the thing is, it's not just me! She's stolen photos from other resin jewelry sellers as well!

Have any of you had this happen? What did you do? How did things turn out in the end? I've been thinking of giving my lawyer a call, but wonder if it is worth the bother.  Huh

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011 08:40:19 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011 09:58:40 AM »

That is just terrible!! I don't have an etsy shop, but I have purchased on there and that is inexcusable. Have you contacted etsy yet? Is there anything they can do?
I'm so sorry that happened. You know, it's people like that that are the reason I'm nervous about opening an etsy account...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffi_333
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011 10:22:18 AM »

i think you should contact etsy, and your lawyer. etsy could probably get the pictures down, but your lawyer would be able to tell you all the actions you should do. Ive heard this happening to lots of people and they tend to contact the person doing it and threaten to contact the lawyer if they dont remove the images imediately and it tends to work cuz noone wants to get sued. Ive never really understood why people take someones images though, if you're copying them by making the same product, just take your own image...its not hard, or really time consuming when you dont have to model everything. I hope this all gets cleared up quickly though.
*Also, since they are stealing basically all the images, from other people, contacting etsy and letting them know might clear up all of it rather than just yours.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011 10:24:06 AM by tiffi_333 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011 11:08:32 AM »

I've been in touch with other resin sellers who's work I recognize & they are flagging & contacting etsy.

This chick has 2 other shops as well & she's shilling for feedback (aka buying from herself)

Not cool. Not cool at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
edenkitty
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011 12:38:28 PM »

.... That is just so very wrong. What kind of a person does that, probably the same kind who "make" things, when it's really the chinese sweat shops. I mean, yes we all get inspiration from everything around us, and things may look similar, but to straight up JACK a product and the PHOTOS from other people? That's just wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011 01:14:05 PM »

Not nice at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011 06:12:53 PM »

My items have been removed, but not yet some of the others that were stolen, so I'm helping some folks by flagging the ones I know are taken. Too bad etsy won't just shut them down.... such a shame there's people out there that think they can get away with this & don't think twice about how much it hurts real people.  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Chris in VT
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011 05:07:14 AM »

If your work is not copyrighted, she can actually do what she wants. As a matter of fact, SHE can copyright those items and tell you to stop making them!

So here's what you do.

Take ALL your photographs of EVERY piece you make and put them in book form. Take some heavier cover stock for the front and back covers. Title the book and put in it that "No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the author's expressed written permission. No item may be manufactured or sold without permission of the author."

There. All your work is now copyrighted. Send it off to the Copyright office, and when you receive your copyright, you can send her a letter telling her to cease and desist or you will sue her in Federal Court for copyright infringement.

This way, not only is your work copyrighted, but your photos also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
I Sew Cute

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011 05:41:49 PM »

She's still at it... I found another person who's work she's ripping off...so that makes the 4th or 5th undisclosed shop she has where she's just lifting photos & listing the items as her own. I hope etsy can track her IP & block her the way craftster has blocked swap thieves in the past.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
ladymizri
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011 12:59:46 PM »

Another way to copyright, which my family uses in our businesses, is to take a picture, put it in a sealed envelope, address it to yourself and mail it.  That way, there is dated proof that it is your design and will hold up if you have to sue.  My mother actually went through this a few years ago.  She had to send a cease and desist (sp?) letter to a company that was stealing my mother's designs.  The postmarked photos were to be the evidence should it go to court.  I've started doing that with my designs as well, just in case.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birchbox March 2014: Sneak Peek!
How to Contour and Highlight Your Face
How You Should Be Exfoliating Your Skin
How to Find the Right Red Lipstick for You
Jeannine Morris Gives You the Best Winter Beauty Secrets
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...