A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Legit prom dress  (Read 2497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lenagogan
« on: March 18, 2004 08:24:26 PM »

For a long time I thought I wanted to do my senior prom dress out of duct tape, but now I'm realizing that I want to be a bit more legit. I want to make something that screams haute couture for relatively cheap. And something I can dance in, what's the fun of a ball gown if you can't boogie? Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheeshoo
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004 06:36:49 AM »

For comfort, style, and realatively easy to make - I really like the 2-piece prom dresses that I've seen. My sister had one.

Essentially it's a really pretty halter or tank type top, whatever you are more comfortable wearing, and a big ball gown type skirt. The top on my sister's dress was a shimmery purple-y bluish fabric - real iridescent. It kinda changed colors as she moved. And the skirt had an underskirt of the same material, then was covered with yards and yards of soft tulle died in coordinating colors.

It may sound frilly-frou-frou, but it wasn't. It was elegant and fun. And what's more important - she felt really confident in it because she didn't have to worry about adjusting the dress all night. I'd post pics but it's been a few years since her prom and she doesn't have the dress.

I hope that description is clear enough and or at least gives you some ideas. I've seen lots of tutorials and examples on craftster for halter tops that you could use. And the skirt can't be that hard.

Or you might even be able to find something at Ross, TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc. that you could use as a starter dress to alter.

I was a tough punk rock girl 12 years ago when I went to my prom. I gotta say, it was fun to trade the Doc Martens for heels and be a princess for one night! Best of luck to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004 06:40:18 AM »

For comfort, style, and realatively easy to make - I really like the 2-piece prom dresses that I've seen.
Plus they're *way* more versatile.  You can pair the top with a simple black skirt for a night on the town, without looking like you're wearing your prom dress. Grin

Oh another idea - a friend of mine in university was an artsy 'free spirit' type.  She had a butterfly prom dress.  It was all gauzy, and softly colored (maybe done like silk painting?) and had bits that attached at the wrist for 'wings.'   The main dress part was just like a tunic (only floor length and slightly flared) so really a simple pattern.  It was really beautiful (she showed me pictures). She even wore antennae and was elected prom queen - her high school was way cooler than mine!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004 06:44:39 AM by melidomi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheeshoo
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004 08:24:38 AM »

I found some examples online that might give you a better idea of what I was talking about... Here are a few that are close to the style of my sister's dress: Dress 1, Dress 2, Dress 3.

I found some other cute 2-piece dresses too. *I* don't have the body for these anymore, but they may give you some inspiration (and the prices are very reasonable): Dress 1, Dress 2, Dress 3, Dress 4.

I also found this one - it's not a 2-piece, but I thought it was a little different and a lot of fun: Dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lenagogan
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004 09:43:48 PM »

Hm... I've been thinking about it, and right after I posted, I thought about making a peacock dress. And by peacock, I mean getting a white starter dress or making one (definitely tulle, can't mess up with that... hopefully), adding a white bustle/bow on the back and layering that with real peacock feathers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nuno930
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004 05:55:28 AM »

that sounds awesome! i wish I had the guts to do that when I was in High school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004 09:27:54 AM »

That sounds lovely.  I recommend, however, if using regular peacock feathers, that you consider starting with a black dress.  Especially if you did black tulle underneath, it would look like layers and layers of feathers, even if there were only one or two layers.  (Because the feathers' base color is black.)

However, when my aunt had peacocks, she had two albinos, and their feathers would look absolutely stunning over a white dress, if you could find enough.  The eyes in the albino feathers are like a tone-on-tone eye.  The eye looks just like a regular peacock feather but all whites and off-whites.  And the irridescent part on a regular peacock feather shows up like a gold ring on the albino.  Like I said, it would look stunning on white.  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
lenagogan
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004 09:46:58 PM »

Ooh. I really really like the black idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004 05:49:27 AM »

If you decide to go with the first idea of seperates here is another site... We used these when I got married, I chose the colors & let the girls choose which pieces they wanted. They all wear them a few times at least  =)   they have alot of different seperates in black as well
http://www2.davidsbridal.com/bridesmaids_separates_taffeta.jsp

Pics of albino peacocks(they are really beautiful!):  http://home.wxs.nl/~njboerboom/Vogels/pauw2.htm
http://www.future-site.com/DemoSite/Photo2/0000001b.htm

feathers for sale:
http://www.boxess.com/pwheye.htm  
http://www.boxess.com/ivory.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Classic Red Lip
Transforming Your Look with a Pop of Color
Look Younger With These Eye Creams and Gels
Sparkly Holiday Makeup Tutorial
6 Simple Ways to Add Glam to Your Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...