A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dorm Room  (Read 927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tammywhammy
« on: March 12, 2011 04:38:12 PM »

Does anyone have any ideas for decorating dorm rooms? I'm always looking for more ideas for making my tiny dorm more "homey".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011 05:30:56 PM »

Hi. I don't know what your taste is, but when I was in college, I covered up the greenish cinder block walls (yuck)  Embarrassed with some great art posters in frames. They stayed up on the wall with some sticky gummy stuff I found. It doesn't sound like much but it worked. Also, I would find little interesting things and add them to the room as I found them, like a lamp on my desk, a weird ceramic cup, and I wanted to decopage my phone, but didnt get around to it. Also, a cute bedspread might help.
HH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lollipop
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 12:46:19 PM »

When I was in college, I decorated mostly with framed photos because I was too poor for anything else, and didn't want it to be "theme-y" like some of my friends (literally everything in the room was hot pink. a bit much for me.)

However, lately, I've had this nesting instinct... haha. I've seen some cute fabric bunting on blogs... it's easy enough to make and hang around the top of your walls. Paper flowers in a vase are cute, too. I think handmade anything really helps to make a place feel like home. I would highly suggest going to pinterest.com for inspiration on pretty much anything. It's one of my favorite sites to spend hours on. Smiley

Rachel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.
-Jane Austen
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011 10:21:05 PM »

Depending on the surface, you could hang fabric with starch (http://budgetdecorating.about.com/od/littlechangesbigstyle/a/fabric-walls.htm). It hangs up like wall paper and doesn't screw up the walls Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

head_huntress
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011 09:08:30 AM »

It hasn't been that long since I moved out the dorm! I had a great roommate and the way we set ours up was unlike any dorm on our hall.

We had the beds to one side and the wardrobes, desks and one set of drawers on the other side. My set of drawers has used to hold the minifridge up. the TV was in a central location so that she and I could clearly see the TV to watch it, play video games, watch movies, what have you. I fold paper stars, and I was going to put them up around the light, but alas, it was a fire hazard and we had to take them down.

We had posters up on the wall, and we used 3M poster strips. They held up our posters very well, even the bulletin board! (our walls were painted cinder blocks) we also had a large area rug in the middle of the room. Curtains help too! since you can't drill holes into the walls, tension rods are great. just be sure you don't try to hang up really heavy curtains, or else the tension rod will fall. Pillows, brightly colored comforters, pictures, posters, wooden letters... anything that inspires you to keep it from looking like a jail cell! you just can't hang things from the ceiling.. it's against fire code. Although, a lot of people we know got away with it because our rooms were only inspected twice. Someone had strung rainbow christmas lights across their ceiling! it was beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pork Tenderloin
How to Make American Sushi
How to Make a Roasted Aphrodisiac Chicken
How to Make Turkey Meatballs
How to Make Bannock Bread
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...