A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday: March 11  (Read 4583 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011 07:35:19 AM »

Idlers- That's beautiful! I'm pretty sure spinning before you wash is called "spinning in the raw" and seeing a video about that is one of the things that got me interested in spinning in the first place. I've already decided that when I get my 3 fleeces in May (fingers crossed) that one of them I am going to spin in the raw, then maybe try using a knitting loom to make some over-sized hats, then washing them to felt. I am excited!

I have started 2 yarns this week, one of the spindle and one on the wheel, but I think I will wait until I think they are done before I post them.
Last weeks yarn that I spun with the yellow even though I wanted to spin it with balck, I think I may ply again with black, because I realized that I DO have black, I have 4 serger cones full of black! I was an idiot to overlook them.

But my real accomplishment this week was 26 more bumps of cleaned fleece. Here is a shot of all 35 I have done this month. I will post more about them in the CAL.

I bought a trio of books on Amazon. Respect the Spindle, something about spinning in general, and a hand dying book. I know I don't need the first 2 since I already know all the basics and I can always gather more info online (my favorite resource of late being Crafster, those spinners are crazy!) but I wanted some good resource books.

HOLY CRAP! In the time it took me to write this post there have been 4 other posts!
TCMatteson: I know what you mean about slippery roving. The stuff I have on my wheel right now is a merino/bamboo blend. Talk about slippery! It wants to be spun thin, I can't get it any thicker!
Belladune, you are always an inspiration to me. You know that, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011 07:46:47 AM »

Idlers- That's beautiful! I'm pretty sure spinning before you wash is called "spinning in the raw" and seeing a video about that is one of the things that got me interested in spinning in the first place. I've already decided that when I get my 3 fleeces in May (fingers crossed) that one of them I am going to spin in the raw, then maybe try using a knitting loom to make some over-sized hats, then washing them to felt. I am excited!
It can also be called spinning in the grease, as the Lanolin in wool has a greasy feel.  It's great for your hands though!

Belladune, you are always an inspiration to me. You know that, right?
*blush* Smiley and soon I'll be a wealth of knowledge too!  (I have a  hard time hiding my excitement of being on the way to becoming a master spinner..... Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011 07:52:22 AM »

I'm loving the black and white yarns, guys!

I know some of you have already seen these, but, um, here they are again!  Cheesy

pink, green, black merino plied with pink silk - 60g
blue wool, corespun purple, and pink silk - 100g

romney yellow, shetland orange
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011 08:42:59 AM »

I'm totally drawn to the blue.  I just want to squish it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

splendidcakes
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011 08:56:23 AM »

Spinning in the grease was very popular in the 70's and 80's. The thing is, your yarn will change a bit when you scour it. MOST IMPORTANTLY, don't wait to scour it very long! Grease eventually hardens somewhat, and becomes very difficult to wash out. It is more difficult to scour out grease from spun wool than from fleece (but you're much less likely to felt a skein than fleece). Spinning uncarded wool is more a newer "art" technique, but it is definitely done. Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Angry Hippie
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011 04:26:32 PM »

SO MANY PEOPLE THIS WEEK!

astormorray- I'm lovin' the pink one, it has a very shabby chic feel.

tcmatteson- Oooo the little splashes of purple really pop.  I love how the subtle differences make such a big impact with fiber.

Belladune- Those colors are beautiful, consistency looks really great.  What is it about tiny skeins that make me want to sequel Cheesy It's.So.Cute!

IdlersDesign- I love your yarn so much.  It makes me want to run off and buy a fleece even more now.  I wonder if there's a way to dye as you wash the lanolin from the yarn... any one know if that's possible??

Alright i missed last week so prepare for yarn-plosion!

Tramp Stamp-bfl

1979- merino plied w/ organic cotton

Dirty Hippie- BFL plied w/ organic cotton.

Robo-superfine merino

Blumpkin- angora/lambs wool

Sea Me, Touch Me- superfine merino

No Wuckin' Furries- angora/lambs wool plied w/ silk

Strike Back-BFL

Catfish- superfine merino

For The Books- superfine merino

Colossal-fine wool/silk/bfl/superwash

Purps- superwash/fine wool

Algae Eater- Merino plied with organic cotton thread

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011 06:25:11 PM »

Hi everyone. Beautiful yarns this week! I don't have much to show for the last couple of weeks. Ended up hospitalized for a week with a combo of food poisoning and appendicitis. I have this singles yarn that I started on before I got sick, but I haven't had the energy to wash it and set the twist. I just want it to magically be done, so I can make something out of it.  Cheesy

San Clemente Sunset:

I still have another basket full of rolags to spin like these. It was really fun to spin, and I can't wait until I am feeling a little better so I can get back to work on it. Maybe tomorrow.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011 07:09:32 PM »

Angry hippy, your productivity astounds me! 
Laughing lark, i love those colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IdlersDesign
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011 04:16:51 AM »

So many nice and different yarns...very inspiring!
Angry Hippie, your yarns are fabulous. I never tried plying (only started spinning 3 months ago) but the result with the different colours and threads looks beautiful.

I've already decided that when I get my 3 fleeces in May (fingers crossed) that one of them I am going to spin in the raw, then maybe try using a knitting loom to make some over-sized hats, then washing them to felt. I am excited!
Hm good idea!

Spinning in the grease was very popular in the 70's and 80's. The thing is, your yarn will change a bit when you scour it. MOST IMPORTANTLY, don't wait to scour it very long! Grease eventually hardens somewhat, and becomes very difficult to wash out. It is more difficult to scour out grease from spun wool than from fleece (but you're much less likely to felt a skein than fleece). Spinning uncarded wool is more a newer "art" technique, but it is definitely done. Nice job!

Thanks for the tip!  Cheesy I've now started washing parts of the fleece, that's easier indeed than the spun wool.

IdlersDesign- I love your yarn so much.  It makes me want to run off and buy a fleece even more now.  I wonder if there's a way to dye as you wash the lanolin from the yarn... any one know if that's possible??

I think it would be better to wash it first (to get the dirt and grease out) and then separately dye it. Otherwise the grease might prevent the colours from attaching to the fiber.

As I like using natural products, I'd also like to dye some of my white fleece with natural pigments. Does anyone have tips/websites on plants/fruits/other that would be useful?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011 07:53:19 AM »

I love every single yarn this week! All the colors are awesome!
I finally finished some hot pink roving (I think it's wool, I forgot) and plyed it with thread. First time plying and I have to say I love the look of plying with thread!

Cotton candy

Cotton Candy by OspreyWife, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Chia and Buckwheat Cereal
How to Grill the Perfect Burger with Chef Jamie Purviance
The Difference Between BBQ And Grilling
How to Make Southern Pulled-Pork Sandwiches
Man U: How To Grill
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...