A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric stiffener on corsets?  (Read 1931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivoryh1632
« on: March 10, 2011 03:23:57 AM »

Has anyone used fabric stiffener when making a corset? I'm planning on making a corset soon and I was thinking of using a fabric stiffener on the lining in addition to the normal interfacing. Has anyone ever done this before? If so, did it make any difference in how well the corset held its shape when wearing it? Also, if anyone's used fabric stiffener on any clothing items did it irritate your skin? I have pretty sensitive skin, and break out in hives a lot so the other thing i'm worried about is that if I use fabric stiffener on the lining it might make me break out (I don't usually wear anything under corsets, I generally just wear them as a top or in place of a bra). Any thoughts on this would be much appriciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011 10:44:57 AM »

You mean like liquid fabric stiffener?  I think it would wash out, and possibly not even evenly.  I like to line my fitted tops like that with something heavier than my outer fabric, but softer than the duck canvas I use for interfacing.  Usually twill or denim or a blend that's about the same weight will do the trick.  You get some added structure, without anything uncomfortable, temporary, or allergy-inducing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011 12:47:30 PM »

I've only made one proper corset, but what I did is I flatlined sew-in interfacing to the fashion fabric and used a soft cotton bedsheet for the lining. It's not for tight-lacing, though, just for fun. For really squishing yourself, you should use coutil (specifically designed for corsetry), or pillow-ticking (what down pillows are made from; it's very tight-woven so feathers don't poke out). Like Aislynn said, duck canvas, denim and other twills are also good at taking strain without distorting very much.

The only problem I have is that I SHOULD have used a waist-stay, which is just a band of twill-tape around the waistline to take some of the strain off the fabric. If I'd done that, I wouldn't have slight rippling at the front waistline.

If you do want to use a stiffener, why not just plain old starch? Assuming you're not allergic to potatoes, you can make your own in the kitchen. It washes out, of course, but if your corset is white or off-white, it's a good option for stiffening the corset up a bit.

Man, every time I read about someone making a corset, I want to make another Tongue Soooo labour intensive, though!

*EDIT*

Just thought I'd add the Truly Victorian forum link:

http://www.trulyvictorian.com/phpBB3/index.php

Lots of discussion about corsetry.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011 01:24:33 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

klnelson11
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011 02:08:39 PM »

I tried to use fusible interfacing on the outer stain layer, in addition to the coutil, and that was a huge mistake.  If your outer fabric is very thin it might work, but mine was too thick and it looked lumpy and broke a few needles.  I gave up and started a new one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klnelson11
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011 02:09:59 PM »

i meant "outer satin" layer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011 12:38:28 AM »

Thanks guys.
I'm going to Joann's tomorrow so I'll see if I can find some better fabric for the lining. I've looked for that coutil stuff before and couldn't find any (living in a small town sucks) but maybe I can find a soft twill or something. This is gonna be my first corset so I don't wanna go through the hassle of ordering stuff online just in case it comes out horrible (same reason I'm using plastic boning instead of steel).
My pattern calls for interfacing but now I'm worried about it coming out weird like you said yours did. I'm just using a normal light cottoney type fabric for the outside, so maybe It'll work. I bought extra fabric so maybe I'll do a tester with the interfacing, which would probably be a good idea anyway since despite all the sewing I've done, I've never actually used interfacing before.
Thanks for the tip about the waist stay too. I was looking at a corset making tutorial online and they put one in but my pattern doesn't call for it and my store bought corsets don't have it so I was wondering if it was worth putting in. But from what you say it seems like its worth the extra step.
Thanks again everyone. It's probaly gonna be a while still before I actually get around to making it (all those peices to cut out are quite intimidating) but when I do I'll post the pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klnelson11
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011 05:35:55 PM »

What pattern are you using, and what are you using the corset for?  Just curious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011 01:21:29 AM »

I'm using this pattern
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2206-costumes.aspx
just because it looked pretty simple and basic so i figured it would be good for my first corset.
But I also have these patterns
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2206-costumes.aspx
http://butterick.mccall.com/b4669-products-6871.php?page_id=916&search_control=display&list=search
http://butterick.mccall.com/b4254-products-1465.php?page_id=916&search_control=display&list=search
because I have a tendancy to buy patterns I like when they have the 99 cent sales. So if I'm any good at this whole corset-making thing I'll probly try the other patterns. I really wanna try one of the ones with all the crazy boning, I know its gonna be a pain to do but it should look amazing.
And I'm just kinda making the corset for the heck of it, something different to wear when I go out. Plus I like having corsets to wear when I wear a strapless dress since I they don't make strapless bras in my size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011 01:38:42 AM »

Ah! I see! I always check this website when I consider buying a neat pattern:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

The first one, Simplicity 5006, seems to be really popular and generally well liked, aside from the lack of a lining, but lining a corset is no big deal if you plan to bias bind both edges.

View C of Butterick 4254 also seems to be popular, though some people don't like the construction method.

Butterick 4669 is more a costume bodice than a support garment, but if you can make it fit impeccably, it'll work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011 03:29:34 AM »

Yeah I know Butterick 4669 is a costume one to wear over another top, but i figure it'd be fun to wear to a renisance fair or something like that, or to use as part of a pirate/wench costume for Halloween. But like I said, the patterns were only a buck so I really don't mind if they end up not working out.
Thanks for that link though, that'll really come in handy. I'm always bugging the old ladies at the craft stores asking them advice on what patterns have worked good for them in the past, so being able to look it up online will definately help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
4 Styling Tips for Thinning Hair
Does It Work: Air Curler
How to Create Retro Hairstyles
Wedding Hair Inspiration: Hollywood Curls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...