A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric stiffener on corsets?  (Read 2152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

klnelson11
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011 06:11:18 AM »

i've never made these patterns, but good luck.  If you decide you like it (and you will)  I hope you continue.  Corset making can be addictive.  also, as a difficult to fit 30G bra size, I suggest that you don't be afraid to try bra-making.  It could change your life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011 03:16:11 AM »

oh I'm sure I'll get addicted to corset making, I have a habit of when I make one of something I want to immediately make 5 more in every color/pattern I can find.

I've thought about making my own bras (I'm a 32H so I share your pain of not being able to find anything that fits), but I just have this image of it coming out horribly wrong and looking like something that would only fit a mutant. Is it hard to get the sizing right? Did you buy a pattern or do you make your own pattern? Where do you get the underwire? Cuz if its not too crazy hard to do I'd totally make my own bras. Actually it would be awsome cuz then I could also make swimsuit tops that fit too. A while back a belly dancer at a renicance fair showed me how to tie a scarf into a binkini-type top which is what I've been using, and it works and is cute and all but it'd be nice to have a normal looking swimsuit top that actually fits.

oh and you might wanna check out this site www.brastop.com that's where I get all my bras. They're a UK site but they have really good sales so even with the exchange rate all their bras are really cheap and they go up to like a K cup. And they're return policy is good too if you end up ordering the wrong size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klnelson11
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011 03:24:29 PM »

bramakerssupply.com has underwires, and patterns, and all the other materials, and the owner is awesome.  I made my first pattern from an old bra, and I'm pretty sure that site has a link to the tutorial somewhere.  They have kits, etc.  Very full service
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011 12:58:09 AM »

awsome, thanks! i'll go check it out and put bra-making on my to do list of future projects
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011 03:45:04 PM »

If you're dropping by PR to check the patterns, make sure you pop in on the corset sew-along too!  http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/55473
..and Tuesday nights are semi-official corset chat.  ("Official" as in there are several corset people who, er, live in the chat room..  and so we declared that on Tuesday nights we're "supposed" to talk about corsets, and then announced it in the sew-along.  *ahem* not that we don't talk about corsets EVERY night..  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011 01:06:25 AM »

lol. Thanks. I will definately check out the corset sew-along, and now that I know it exists, I'm sure I'll be joining the Tuesday night corset chats when I start mine.....actually the more I think about that, the more I know I'll be joining the chat cuz I always want someone to talk to about my projects and usually when I do that people just start getting that glossed over look in their eyes and change the subject :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011 08:06:27 AM »

Well there are a couple of people whose eyes glaze over.. I think was part of why we declared a scheduled corset night.  But talk goes to corsets most other nights too.  And we've got one chat regular to used to be afraid of them until we nagged her into trying one!

Have you checked out the Corsetmakers LiveJournal group?  There are a lot of professionals there, I haven't gotten up the nerve to actually post, but there's lots of information, not to mention pretty pictures!  And they just started a new "Tips" thread. 

There are also some free articles on Foundations Revealed, including one with awesome instructions for drafting your own corset. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011 01:19:20 AM »

I haven't really looked around at many corset making sites yet so thanks for the links. I have a few patterns that I bought cuz they were on sale for a dollar, but as with pretty much everything I make, I'm sure I'll be making my own patterns once I get the hang of it, so that last one sounds likt it'll be helpful. Eeee!!! I can't wait to get started on my corset now. I have a couple other things I gotta finnish first  (I really need to stop trying to make 5 things at once :p )then I think I'm gonna start on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 4
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 3
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 2
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 1
The Phoenix and Immortal Symbols in Chinese Antique Furniture
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...