A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hats and a Beardy face warmer. Image heavy!  (Read 8816 times)
Tags for this thread: cable_hat , hat , beard , face_warmer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fruitysalad
« on: March 09, 2011 11:21:06 PM »

I've been making lots and lots of hats lately, so I thought I'd share with you a couple of my favourite patterns.

The first one is Reatheylia's Cable Hat. http://www.rheatheylia.com/index.php?page=patterns&id=5

I've made some changes on this one. This one is for a man's head, but my yarn needed a smaller hook to make a dense enough fabric, so I increased the starting round to 18 dc's and added in some extra bpdc further on including one between the cables. Also I changed the edging a bit. I'm very happy with how it turned out, and I think I may add in that bpdc in the centre of my cables from now on.

My all time go too pattern for a quick hat that will fit a lot of heads is the Reversible 'Crochet Brioche' Hat, by Megan Mills. http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/CrochetBriocheHat/
It is a short row hat and easily adapts to using just about any thicker yarn or two strand of thinner as she recommends in the pattern.
These two are made using quite bulky yarns.

The purple one came out a little pointy in the crown. This is because of it only took seven gores to make it. I solved this in the black one which only has 6 gores by keeping the slip stitches very loose.

The last one is my own pattern based on the one above.

I did plan on doing this hat using Megan's pattern, but I decided that the yarn I had was wasted using two strands. It was a sock yarn, and I really wanted to preserve the finer feel of it, but still loved the stretchy quality of Megan's hats, SO, I had to write my own pattern. It's a bit hard to see it clearly here, but I'm very pleased with the result. It feels glorious on and looks lovely with the brim folded up.

Last but not least, the beard! It is a corruption of Warm Beard by Felicia at A Girl and Her Yarn. http://agirlandheryarnfk.blogspot.com/search/label/free%20pattern

I made it for my brother who swears he will wear it. As he lives in the Alps of Italy it is possible I guess. I couldn't seem to get it to sit straight for a photo, either because it's too big for me, or perhaps my face is crooked! Anyway, here is one last pic of the beard with the first hat, which is also going to Italy, but for my Nonno.

I'm pulling a serious face as I was trying to gauge if this hat is really masculine enough for a man. My decision is to send it, and let Nonno decide!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Staplerinvasion
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011 12:25:45 AM »

The beard is particularly awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011 06:34:21 PM »

nice work, and that beard is hilarious  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fruitysalad
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011 12:53:43 AM »

Thank you! The beard is a weird piece, but I think in the right climate (not the sub-tropics!) it could be quite useful. I can only keep it on for a few moments at a time, it's really warm.
I think it may be better to make a bearded balaclava, that way your nose would stay warm too. You could start with a hat, build a large nose into it, and nose hair, and maybe eyebrows........ Ok, so basically it would be a mask attached to a hat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkzmom1
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011 11:45:48 AM »

I'm planning on making these for the men in our family, and this is the only pattern that looks like I want it to be, only problem is it is no longer on the site. Do you happen to still have it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
City of Lost Carts
Photo Shooting With a Portable Tripod
Capturing Shapes and Patterns in Outdoor Photos
Working With a Light Modifier
Framing and Cropping an Image
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...