A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
327 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Great Gatsby Wedding, Ideas?  (Read 7101 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

troublekitty
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005 07:40:09 PM »

You all are forgetting the all important GREEN LIGHT! Maybe you could have it behind the official or over you or even as the grooms cake. The possibilities are endless...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elibrowning
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005 08:33:55 PM »

Check out these patterns:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/elibrowning/5876bsim.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/elibrowning/4566bsim.jpg

I LOVE the second one, I'm actually thinking about making it for my own wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cawfeehowse
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005 05:51:25 PM »

In looking around for my own wedding, I saw this article and remembered your post.  I hope it helps!

l" target="_blank">http://www.modernbride.com/styles/?ww_1920smbcsp01.htm l
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2005 02:01:42 PM »

Big band music is too late for The Great Gatsby.  It wasn't until the mid 1930's.  Most of the Great Gatsby takes place during 1922, in the summer.  The music would have been almost jazzish, yet with still an orchestra feel, and harkening back even to the rags of the last decade.  Look up "parlor songs" from the 1920's and you'll get an idea of the ambience the music can create

Also, the early 20's saw the cusp of both art nouveau, going out, and art deco, coming in.  The characters would have grown up steeped in art nouveau, while the new brilliance of Gatsby's home would have had mostly art deco influences, though any modern but not NEW pieces of artwork would likely have been art nouveau.  And there were those years where the two mingled in a strange way, opposed to each other yet blending.  That's what I see. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
juliel85
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005 04:03:07 PM »

Oooo, how about jasper wedgewood china for the reception?  Of course if you don't have this already it would be ridiculously expensive to buy, but maybe you could rent it...?  And what about little white italian lights?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethanne
The glass is not half-empty, its just twice as big as it needs to be

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2005 05:01:24 PM »

Don't forget the champagne! In the 20's they used the round champagne glasses instead of flutes- there was a saying that the perfect breast would fill a champagne glass (kinda funny if you don't know this and are imagining a long flute!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul."  ~Oscar Wilde
"We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are." ~Anais Nin
Sweet Bunny
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005 11:26:13 PM »

I bought my circa 1920's wedding gown on ebay for only $60.  If you don't mind used dresses there are often lovely "flapper" dresses for sale there.  I also made my invitations with a 20's image I got off of old sheet music.  I'd post the pictures, but I'm not sure how to. 
For your hair, finger waves will look very lovely and authentic for the Gatsby period if you choose.  I second the idea that your wedding be classy and accurate as opposed to "Halloween Costume Flapper".
Old Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbeck, Fats Waller are some music choices too.
I got a lot of ideas for my wedding in books from the library like 20's fashion and so forth.  You can have a lot of fun with your make up and it might be neat if you had Charleston lessons at your wedding for the guests.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005 02:06:52 PM by Sweet Bunny » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creation is the Opposite of Depression
ViergeNoire
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005 10:48:49 AM »

There have been lots of mentions of cigarette holders but I suggest candy cigarettes to go along.  They're a fun favor for guests to take home and relatively cheap.
Try using http://www.archive.org/audio/audiolisting-browse.php?cat=247 to get an idea of the type of music that was popular.
Also for the reception, try teaching a simple dance step from the era, like the Charleston.  There are plenty of instructions to be found online if you don't already know it or know someone who does (You'd be surprised how many of your older relatives will know it and might be happy to teach it for you).  If not, there are probably dance teachers in the area that would come in for a fee and teach it to your guests.
Hope some of this helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2005 11:04:17 AM »

not to be a party pooper, but the great gatsby is not a happy book.  gatsby objectifies daisy to no end (remember the shirt orgy, anyone?) things are yellow because they are tainted, tom is cheating on daisy with mertyl (sp?), everyone is basically hollow, no one comes to gatsby's funeral except owl-eyes, etc.  i could write an essay, but in general, it's a social criticism of the time.

that said, i think the 20's theme is a great idea.  in the general consciousness it's pictured as a great care-free time with tons of cool parties.  and i second all the spiffy accessories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kuppajoe5
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005 02:06:50 PM »

Hi!
I just started planning a wedding with a 1920s style theme & am SOOOOOO happy I found this thread. Glad to see some of my ideas were on the money with the suggestions here! (and found some new ones too!)

I've been looking a little into food/beverages of the era to use at the reception (cocktail/dessert buffet, no dinner) and found some good ideas. Apparently b/c of prohibition, soda pop came into its own in the 1920s, so I'm thinking of having cola, ginger ale or whatever we can find in those smaller, old-style glass bottles. There is at least one place online where you can order ones with custom-labels (or just paste over a crafted vintage-look label over, say, IBC root beer).

Also, just found this for some general era ideas:
http://www.angelfire.com/retro2/lisa/20s.html

Good luck and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Reveal of the Ultimate Bachelor Makeover
How to Add Style to Your Outfit in Just One Minute
How to Wear White for Winter
Who Wore It Best? Kim Kardashian Vs Rihanna
Rihanna & Kanye West Rock The Urban Skirt: VIBE VIXEN Style Profile
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...