A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Post your before yarn and after projects please  (Read 1120 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 08, 2011 10:34:32 PM »

Tonight I logged on to craftster to and see what art yarn looks like crocheted. I was shocked to find something on the crochet boards.

I just started crocheting and I am noticing something about the yarn I gravitate to while I am shopping. I love the beautiful blended yarns but some times I really dislike the way they look when they are crocheted. Sometimes for a crocheted item it's too busy and other times it's just right. I would love if you guys could post pictures of what the yarn ball looked like before and what it looked like after. A variety of types of yarns would be nice like variegated, yarn with flecks of color, yarns with beads, etc.

There isn't always a sample at the craft stores so a frame of reference would be great. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ahtchristina
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011 02:27:47 PM »

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here are pics of two variegated yarns I've used.  I want to make something with cables or ridges, but these yarns steal the show and don't display the stitches as well.  Honestly I'm at a loss of what to do with them since more of my work these days focuses on details and these aren't good for that.

Pics are taken with my webcam - I'm too lazy to go upstairs and get my camera...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011 03:07:57 PM »

This is exactly what I mean! Thank you.

As I see more examples of what different yarns turn out in the end product I'm started to develop some personal preferences. I think variegated yarns and yarns with different color twists (what do you call that?) look too busy in a scarf more the most part. Right now my skill level is at scarves and pot holders. I prefer the way they look in solids. I hunted around a lot last night and think variegated and colorful yarns look great in hats.

The second blue themed yarn crocheted beautifully though. Did stitch with single crochet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veggiechef
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011 06:33:10 PM »

This is all I have going right now, and while it's not variegated, it does have a sparkle to it.  It's made from Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn Sparkle.  Personally, I think it looks even prettier worked up than it does as a skein. 

I completely understand how it's tough to visualize the fibers in a finished piece sometimes.  In my opinion, the nicest variegations are those with looooooong sections of color that blend seamlessly into the next.  But these kinds of yarns tend to be pricier or harder to find.  More readily available is the yarn called "self striping."  It's great for making socks, slippers and afghans, and it has the long sections of color that I love so much. Remember, the fancier, more colorful, more textured the yarn is, the simpler you will want the stitch to be.  The solid yarns are best for fancy stitchwork. 

Hey welcome to the Crochet world....I know you will enjoy learning and experimenting! Wink Wink Wink Wink
~Joanie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BE the change you wish to see in the world-Gandhi
raeraethejetplane

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011 11:35:09 PM »

Oh that sparkle yarn is gorgeous! I saw a yarn like that in green that I wish to buy in the future. Unfortunately I forgot which brand it was. This is probably it though.

I agree about the long variegated yarns. Is there a name for that type since the shorter type has a name?

Thanks for welcoming me to the world of crochet! I just bought a book at Borders (so sad they are going out of business) and I am overwhelmed. Twinkie Chan's Crochet Goodies for Fashion Foodies http://www.amazon.com/Twinkie-Crochet-Goodies-Fashion-Foodies/dp/0740797581 I hope to be able to complete a bacon scarf and a carrot scarf. As a beginner I think I can figure those out with some help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011 05:07:06 AM »

The yarn is beautiful, but so is the stitch!  Could you please post the pattern that you used for the piece in the photo?  Thank you so much!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
veggiechef
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011 05:30:06 AM »

Is there a name for that type since the shorter type has a name?

You've got me there..I don't know.  Huh   Undecided   Huh All I know is, the prettiest ones are often found at those locally owned yarn shops that sell premium fibers.  Don't get me wrong, I've seen some really nice stuff at JoAnn's lately...but if you want something unusual or out of the ordinary, the LYS is the way to go. I've been spoiled rotten.  I have two of those stores nearby.  My town is very crafty.  Grin

Miss Barbara, Thank you!   Kiss To keep things on topic, I will PM you (and anyone else who wants it) with the link.  And, bonus.....it's a free pattern.

Joanie

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011 05:32:48 AM by veggiechef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ahtchristina
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011 09:45:58 AM »

The blue hat is made by making a chain (for my kids' hats it's about 35 stitches long).  Then hdc (half double crochet) in the back loops to work back to the beginning and then just continue to do hdc around and around.  For the first couple rounds I do 2 or 3 hdc in the end stitches, but after about round 4 or so, it's just hdc in each hdc until I get the length I like.

I love hdc.  It's fancier and works the piece up faster than sc, but isn't as much effort as a double crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veggiechef
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011 11:30:29 AM »

I love hdc.  It's fancier and works the piece up faster than sc, but isn't as much effort as a double crochet.

Ahtchristina, I completely agree!  And I didn't get to tell you earlier-I really love your blue hat.  It worked out so well with the color changes in the yarn....you couldn't have had it come out better if you planned it! 

~Joanie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amazing_784
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011 08:45:56 AM »

The nice patterns in the blue variegated yarn has to do with how many stitches she used.  There's a formula for determining how a variegated yarn will be worked up based on how many stitches in a project. 
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2008/04/18/another_timeat_sock_camp.html (this is referring to knitting, but it gives the idea nonetheless).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Comics Run: Saga Number 1
The Comics Run: Batman Night of the Owls
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men Resumed
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men
Using Floppy Disks as Art Canvas
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...