A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can anybody TELL me how to make a hat?  (Read 921 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2005 05:10:54 PM »

I've known how to crochet for 5 years .. but i never learned to make a hat or read a pattern. .. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
sedrasmom
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005 05:48:53 PM »

I don't use patterns either, and this is what I do to make a hat: Crochet 2 or 3 chain stitches, then slip stitch into the first to make a closed loop, like what you'd do to start out a granny square. Then crochet 10 to 20 or so of whatever stitch you want ignoring the starter chain stitches, and instead plunging your hook directly into the middle of the loop. I like half double crochet because it's faster than single but still tight looking, but you can use whatever stitch you like, play around with it, whatever. Basically you're starting at the very top of the hat and working in increasing rounds so it gets wider and wider as you go. Slip stitch the last stitch of each round back into the start, then do a chain stitch or two depending on what stitch you're using to get up to the next round, and stitch 2 in each row. In the next row, cut it down to maybe two in every third, then two in every 5 or 6, etc. whatever looks like it will give your hat the desired roundness.  If you want the hat to be more tubular, then increase to the point where it fits then don't increase but keep on going.  You can increase just a few if you want it to be more of a pointy hat, increase more if you want it to be flatter on the top like a skull cap. Rember to try it on when it starts getting big so you don't make it inhumanly large, because crochet stretches so much it may look tiny but fit fine! If you want to make a beret, keep increasing till it's a couple inches wider than your head, then decrease until it's small enough to fit around your head again. Another way would be to chain a length close to the diameter of your head, turn and crochet one row back, then continue around and crochet the other side of the same row. If you've ever made a simple potholder, it's the same, only instead of closing it up on the diagonal when you have a square, you'd just keep going around and around until it's big enough to get your head into. The same method also works to make a bag/purse/soapholde/etc. With either of these methods, if you'd rather work around and around in a coil than deal with slip stitching each row to move up to the next row, it would work perfectly fine. Happy crafting!

Monica

Monica
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005 05:53:22 PM by sedrasmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Papier-Mache
How to Make Christmas Photo Ornaments
How to Make an Earth Day Coloring Book for Kids
How to Make a Wreath Out of Old CDs
How to Make a Temporary Tattoo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...