A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: banoffee pie (eater discretion advised)  (Read 999 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , banana , toffee  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

foodieandthechef
« on: March 07, 2011 08:23:57 PM »

If you'd like to read my full post with more photos, I'd love you to drop by at http://foodieandthechef.com/2011/02/banoffee-pie-eater-discretion-advised/ (Website no longer exists. - jungrrl)

http://foodieandthechef.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/IMG_4796-1024x682.jpg

My 'Frankenstein's monster' version of a 70s English classic.  Pecan crust, dulche de leche, sour cream chocolate ganache, whipped cream, banana chips: heaven for those who can't wait.

I think that comfort/ naff food is a wonderful thing.  I couldn't tell you how many times I've powered through a tub of Ben & Jerry's ice cream at a teeny-bopper sleepover, munched on milk bottle candies whilst enduring a particularly loathsome Lethal Weapon sequel, or whipped up some buttery mash potato to cure feeling plain ol' down-in-the-dumps.

banoffee pie with pecans and chocolate ganache

serves 8

for the crust

* 100g (1 cup) graham crackers or digestive biscuits
    * 275g (2⅓ cups) pecans
    * 180g ( cup) butter

for the chocolate sour cream ganache layer

* 340g dark chocolate, chopped
    * 180g ( cup) sour cream

for the toffee caramel layer

* 2 x 295g cans of condensed milk

to finish

* 120 g (1 cup) pecans
    * 2 fresh or thawed bananas, sliced
    * 600mL whipping cream
    * 1 x 300g packet dried banana 'chips', or 2 fresh bananas, sliced

the crust

1. Melt the butter and let cool.  In a food processor, mix the pecans and the biscuits until finely ground, then add the melted butter and mix again.
   2. Press this crust mix into a 28 cm/ 11 " lose-based tin (it helps to use the bottom of a cup to press the mix down firmly).   Allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour .

the chocolate sour cream ganache

1. Melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over simmering water, or by heating & mixing in 10 second intervals in a microwave.
   2. Warm the sour cream slightly in a microwave for 15 seconds, or on the stove until warm to the touch.
   3. Add the sour cream to the dark chocolate and whisk to combine.  Set aside to cool.

the toffee caramel

1. Place the tins of condensed milk in a large saucepan filled with water and bring to the boil.  It helps to put a cloth in the water with the tins so that they don't rattle around while cooking.
   2. Turn the heat down and let the water simmer for 2 hours (make sure you don't forget about the cans and check that the water level stays high !), then remove and set aside to cool.

to assemble

1. Once the sour cream ganache has cooled to room temperature, spread the ganache in a layer on top of the pecan crust.  Allow to set in the fridge for hour.
   2. Once the toffee caramel has cooled to room temperature, carefully open the tin and pour the contents on top of the ganache layer, spreading evenly.
   3. Press the pecan nuts over the toffee caramel layer, followed by a layer of the sliced fresh or thawed bananas.  Keep in fridge until ready to whip the cream.
   4. Place the whipping cream in a glass or metal bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
   5. Dollop the cream on top of your pie, finishing with slices of the dried bananas chips and chocolate shavings if you really want to go all out !
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012 11:54:39 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

smallhold
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011 04:44:21 AM »

Nom nom nom, just wrote down the entire recipe in my goodie cookbook. It looks and sounds delicious.
Will report back one  we I made and ate this pie  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hi, my name is Smallhold and I compulsively collect looms."
"Hi Smallhold."
Crafty DIY Housewife
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011 06:26:56 PM »

That sounds sooooo yum yum yummy! Might have to try this recipe soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011 10:44:49 AM »

Chocolate sour cream ganache?? Be still my heart! I just saw someone make this on the food network but your version looks much better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Exercise in Wallpaper: Why the Eye Likes Patterns
Chandelier Casts Tree Shadows on Wall
Hudson Yards Exhibition Space Design
How to Decorate Outdoor Rooms
How to Set Up Your Patio For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...