A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Iphone Home  (Read 3627 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: March 07, 2011 05:08:59 PM »

I had seen an old phone (one of the bedside touch tone phone that they switched to when they didnt want us using rotary phones anymore) turned into a slick looking iphone home on the web somewhere.  When I saw this challenge I wanted to try making one.  I found this challenge pretty late and couldn't find the kind of phone I wanted in any local resale shops, and I didnt have time to wait for ebay so I went up in my mom's barn loft and found this ....

I found two unlikely candidates....

I chose the princess phone on the left.  

First I gutted the phone, which other than a LOT of dust was OMG *really* easier than I thought it would be.  I expected it to all be riveted together, but it was mostly flathead screws.  It made going alot easier than I expected. I then had to scrub the phone with nail polish remover.  My little sister had tried to paint the phone with pink nail polish back in the 80s.

Second I painted the body of the phone and the body of the handset glossy black, and the little screw parts of the handset brass like the one I had seen online.  Then I decided that I hated it.  *thumbs up*  It just didnt LOOK steampunk at ALL!!!  It LOOKED vintage Hollywood, which while GORGEOUS in its own right, was NOT what I was going for.  

So I then painted the body of the phone and the body of the handset hammered copper, the screw on parts of the handset shiny copper.  I peeled the old leather off the bottom piece of the phone and painted it brass.  I also took apart the button assembly, cleaned all the buttons with fingernail polish to get any nail polish splatter off them, and spray painted the button carriage brass.

I had a lot of trouble painting the phone. I tried to spray shellac is and it ate the paint off and I had to start over.  Smiley  It was a LEARNING process!!!

While everything was drying I took apart a cell phone headset.  I had to get a converter piece to make it work for an iphone.  That piece is purple in the picture.  When the handset was dry I threaded the headset through it.  I glued the black cord in place so it couldn't get pulled too hard and shift everything inside, then I stuffed the inside with pillow stuffing and carefully screwed the handset screw pieces into place.  I tried to glue the parts of the headset to screw parts, but then realized I couldn't screw them on after that.  giggle.  So I had to unglue them and rely on the stuffing to hold them up to the little holes in the screw parts.  

I had SO much fun calling everyone I knew to try the handset out!!! It works AWESOME!!!! Cheesy  *thumbs up*

While waiting for everything to dry I also cut three identical pieces of black felt.  One piece of felt I glued to the bottom of the phone to protect whatever surface I put the phone down on.  The other two I glued together and then glued to the inside of the bottom of the phone to protect my iphone when I put it inside.  

I put the push button assembly back together and glued it to the top inside of the phone.  Now I can push the buttons.  They even pop back up after I push them down because I put the springs and everything back together.  Smiley  They don't *DO* anything.  I just like pushing the buttons.  Smiley

After all the glue was dry I laid the iphone in the bottom of the phone and plugged it into the charger and closed it.  It *does* ring while inside the phone, but I cant answer it without taking the top off.  But once I answer it I can put the top back on and talk through the handset all I want.  Its not what I really wanted, but its *really* cool for what I had to work with!!!  

The little buttons in the cradle, and the little plastic for over the number place are missing.  They were misplaced during the disassembly.  

Doing this challenge I learned how to sprat paint plastic, how NOT to spray paint plastic, how to disassemble a phone, how to put a phone button assembly apart and together, how to take apart a headset (in this case I had to use a hammer), and how to solder (a wire came loose while I was threading the headset through the handset).  I ALSO learned that it WILL be okay if I take things apart (it was discouraged in our house growing up), and that I CAN finish things and they *work*!!!  I have disabilities that made it emotionally and mentally hard for me to finish this project, but I pushed through them and finished, and ENTERED!!!!  Smiley  I couldn't have done this a year ago.  I am *very* proud, even if its not exactly how I wanted it to be!!!  Smiley

Next time I make an vintage iphone home I'll try wiring an actual hand set to a iphone head set plug like in this tutorial .... http://steampunkworkshop.com/articles/phone so I can use the cool curly cord.  But Im happy with my first effort.  It WORKS!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011 06:05:21 PM by midkiffsjoy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
ambertuma
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011 06:04:22 PM »

Roll Eyes I dunno how to vote on this thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011 06:12:20 PM »

I wish I could figure out why there's no thumbnail.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011 05:56:47 AM »

Cool concept!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
yzag
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011 09:45:56 AM »

absolutely love this how fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kentucky
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011 03:05:55 PM »

Smiley Cheesy Grin........you my friend must have the patients of  a staint.
there is NO way I would have know where to start ....let alone finished
 I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011 02:50:00 PM »

What a nifty idea!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011 11:04:49 PM »

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  *sniffle*

Im gonna have to print this out and tape it to my fridge!!! Smiley

No, I do NOT have the patience of a saint.  Not at ALL!!!  *giggle*  The thing I love most that I took away from this project is that it's okay to gut something and that I *can* make something work!!!  Cheesy  I'm already putting that new found knowledge to good use, gutting things left and right around the house and building them anew!!! Cheesy  TY Again!!!!  I appreciate the encouragement more than you know!!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour and Highlight Your Face
How You Should Be Exfoliating Your Skin
How to Find the Right Red Lipstick for You
Jeannine Morris Gives You the Best Winter Beauty Secrets
Best New Beauty Products for March
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...