A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Iphone Home  (Read 3723 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« on: March 07, 2011 05:08:59 PM »

I had seen an old phone (one of the bedside touch tone phone that they switched to when they didnt want us using rotary phones anymore) turned into a slick looking iphone home on the web somewhere.  When I saw this challenge I wanted to try making one.  I found this challenge pretty late and couldn't find the kind of phone I wanted in any local resale shops, and I didnt have time to wait for ebay so I went up in my mom's barn loft and found this ....

I found two unlikely candidates....

I chose the princess phone on the left.  

First I gutted the phone, which other than a LOT of dust was OMG *really* easier than I thought it would be.  I expected it to all be riveted together, but it was mostly flathead screws.  It made going alot easier than I expected. I then had to scrub the phone with nail polish remover.  My little sister had tried to paint the phone with pink nail polish back in the 80s.

Second I painted the body of the phone and the body of the handset glossy black, and the little screw parts of the handset brass like the one I had seen online.  Then I decided that I hated it.  *thumbs up*  It just didnt LOOK steampunk at ALL!!!  It LOOKED vintage Hollywood, which while GORGEOUS in its own right, was NOT what I was going for.  

So I then painted the body of the phone and the body of the handset hammered copper, the screw on parts of the handset shiny copper.  I peeled the old leather off the bottom piece of the phone and painted it brass.  I also took apart the button assembly, cleaned all the buttons with fingernail polish to get any nail polish splatter off them, and spray painted the button carriage brass.

I had a lot of trouble painting the phone. I tried to spray shellac is and it ate the paint off and I had to start over.  Smiley  It was a LEARNING process!!!

While everything was drying I took apart a cell phone headset.  I had to get a converter piece to make it work for an iphone.  That piece is purple in the picture.  When the handset was dry I threaded the headset through it.  I glued the black cord in place so it couldn't get pulled too hard and shift everything inside, then I stuffed the inside with pillow stuffing and carefully screwed the handset screw pieces into place.  I tried to glue the parts of the headset to screw parts, but then realized I couldn't screw them on after that.  giggle.  So I had to unglue them and rely on the stuffing to hold them up to the little holes in the screw parts.  

I had SO much fun calling everyone I knew to try the handset out!!! It works AWESOME!!!! Cheesy  *thumbs up*

While waiting for everything to dry I also cut three identical pieces of black felt.  One piece of felt I glued to the bottom of the phone to protect whatever surface I put the phone down on.  The other two I glued together and then glued to the inside of the bottom of the phone to protect my iphone when I put it inside.  

I put the push button assembly back together and glued it to the top inside of the phone.  Now I can push the buttons.  They even pop back up after I push them down because I put the springs and everything back together.  Smiley  They don't *DO* anything.  I just like pushing the buttons.  Smiley

After all the glue was dry I laid the iphone in the bottom of the phone and plugged it into the charger and closed it.  It *does* ring while inside the phone, but I cant answer it without taking the top off.  But once I answer it I can put the top back on and talk through the handset all I want.  Its not what I really wanted, but its *really* cool for what I had to work with!!!  

The little buttons in the cradle, and the little plastic for over the number place are missing.  They were misplaced during the disassembly.  

Doing this challenge I learned how to sprat paint plastic, how NOT to spray paint plastic, how to disassemble a phone, how to put a phone button assembly apart and together, how to take apart a headset (in this case I had to use a hammer), and how to solder (a wire came loose while I was threading the headset through the handset).  I ALSO learned that it WILL be okay if I take things apart (it was discouraged in our house growing up), and that I CAN finish things and they *work*!!!  I have disabilities that made it emotionally and mentally hard for me to finish this project, but I pushed through them and finished, and ENTERED!!!!  Smiley  I couldn't have done this a year ago.  I am *very* proud, even if its not exactly how I wanted it to be!!!  Smiley

Next time I make an vintage iphone home I'll try wiring an actual hand set to a iphone head set plug like in this tutorial .... http://steampunkworkshop.com/articles/phone so I can use the cool curly cord.  But Im happy with my first effort.  It WORKS!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011 06:05:21 PM by midkiffsjoy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
ambertuma
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011 06:04:22 PM »

Roll Eyes I dunno how to vote on this thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011 06:12:20 PM »

I wish I could figure out why there's no thumbnail.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011 05:56:47 AM »

Cool concept!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
yzag
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011 09:45:56 AM »

absolutely love this how fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kentucky
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011 03:05:55 PM »

Smiley Cheesy Grin........you my friend must have the patients of  a staint.
there is NO way I would have know where to start ....let alone finished
 I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011 02:50:00 PM »

What a nifty idea!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011 11:04:49 PM »

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  *sniffle*

Im gonna have to print this out and tape it to my fridge!!! Smiley

No, I do NOT have the patience of a saint.  Not at ALL!!!  *giggle*  The thing I love most that I took away from this project is that it's okay to gut something and that I *can* make something work!!!  Cheesy  I'm already putting that new found knowledge to good use, gutting things left and right around the house and building them anew!!! Cheesy  TY Again!!!!  I appreciate the encouragement more than you know!!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Custom Sequence in Premiere Pro CS5
How to Capture Footage in Premiere Pro CS5
Watch This Instead Review of The Last Airbender
Learn Premiere Pro CS5 Users Interface
What a Grip Does on a Film Set
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...