A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How's your Etsy shop doing? 2011-2013  (Read 7278 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2011 03:05:38 PM »

The old Etsy threads (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=43650.0 & http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=133954.0) have been locked & retired and we've started fresh with this one!

If there are a large number of posting this year, I will retire this thread at the end of the year. We'll see how it goes. Smiley

Here are a few guidelines for this thread to (hopefully) keep it a bit more manageable than the previous one.  Please take a moment to read them as your posts may be edited/deleted/moved if they don't follow along with these...

DO...
...post in regard to how your Etsy shop is doing.  Discuss how things are going, your milestones (hearts, sales, etc.), thoughts, ideas and questions for other members regarding your shop or theirs.

DON'T...

...stop by just to tell us you're having a sale and direct us to your shop. This is considered advertising. You can talk about the pros and cons of sales and discuss if a sale was successful after the fact, but please do not use this thread to advertise a sale.

....direct us to your blog. This could also be considered advertising. Please review the rules here: http://www.craftster.org/rules.html

...only post to ask for a shop critique. We have a separate thread just for that. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=267877.0

...post treasuries here. We have a special sticky thread just for you folks!  Here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=133952.0  We will be deleting the old, broken treasury links from the old post over time.  If your treasury expires, please remember that you have the ability to edit/delete your thread - to help keep our threads tidy!  You can read about this here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=73260.0  Smiley

Please remember to use the search function to see if questions have been answered here or on the Etsy forums.  Many questions regarding international shipping, what to do when a buyer doesn't pay, advertising, how to make photos look better, etc., have already been answered many, many times.  You can find threads about these on this board as well as on Etsy.

Thanks for all of your help & understanding in making this thread as useful to others as possible!
 Kiss
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013 08:39:22 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011 07:46:40 PM »

I've been so busy this last couple of weeks & was wondering if anyone is having an unexplained hike in sales lately? Valentines was a let down compared with this.

I'm only hoping to stay happily busy somewhere in between totally dead and having to run to the post office daily...especially with the way gas prices are going.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011 07:28:04 AM »

Could you set up carrier pick ups? Sometimes it's a hassle to know how much you'll be sending but if you can get in a swing of it, it's really convenient!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011 10:49:11 AM »

Could you set up carrier pick ups? Sometimes it's a hassle to know how much you'll be sending but if you can get in a swing of it, it's really convenient!

I've been afraid to take the plunge. I have a postal scale here at home, but after reading in the forum on etsy about some mailed from home packages requiring more postage upon arrival made me shy away. If the gas prices keep rising, I will reconsider though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011 10:52:21 AM »

Postal scales are pretty cheap and definitely worth it!  If you use Priority mail you can always use flat rate envelopes, too. And postage is cheaper online. For Priority, Delivery confirmation is free online!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011 07:49:05 AM »

I'm afraid I Sew Cute is right on the extra postage.
If I (in Belgium) get packages from the US with a address slip printed through PayPal, I get charged a 10 ($ 13.93) customs fee.
If the seller mails their package through the post office, I don't get charged customs fees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011 04:05:31 PM »

I had not heard of that! Thanks for the heads up ladies. I had been considering buying a scale also, but will stick to my PO trips for now on. I don't have high enough sales to warrant spending the cash on one anyway Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
FrolicPatch

Because every girl needs something to Frolic in

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011 09:13:57 AM »

In reply to the conversation about postage/shipping - I'm in the US and do about 50% of my shipping/labeling here at home. If I'm using 1st class mail (the cheapest option) I have to pay at the post office. If I'm using Priority shipping, I just pay and print at home using my scale. I haven't had any problems whatsoever, but I do have listed in my policies that International customers need to expect to pay customs. That way there are no surprises.

As for my Etsy shop, things have definitely stalled! I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out if it's smarter to just make OOAK outfits and try to sell them, or to continue making designs and selling custom size options for them.

If there are any clothing sellers or boutique clothing purchasers that have advice/input, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I love what I do, but it has to at least break even with materials cost for me to continue, you know?

Thanks!
-Jennifer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FrolicPatch.ets y.com
Handmade, original designs for girls.
"Because every girl needs something to Frolic in!"
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011 11:32:27 AM »

FrolicPatch said: "If there are any clothing sellers or boutique clothing purchasers that have advice/input, I would GREATLY appreciate it."

I'm neither, but I'll try and put in my two cents anyway.
I think from a customer's point of view it is best to have custom size options.
As a seller (not of boutique children clothing though) I prefer just making items and offering them for sale. That way I can ship them out as soon as they are bought and I don't have to worry about time pressure.

I settled on a mix of both options. For some of my items (a wide variety of crocheted cozies, the most popular products in my shop) I take custom orders (usually only custom colours, occasionally custom sizes). Most of those items take only 30-60 minutes to make.
But for my other items I don't. They are one of a kind and I kindly refuse custom requests on those. One of the reasons is that I buy my materials in small quantities, the other that I don't feel like reproducing them or they simply take to much fabrication time to make it worthwhile.

Perhaps you could do the same in your shop: offer custom options for a certain amount of products (the ones you can easily reproduce and/or you have enough supplies for), but also have special one of a kind products available.

I hope I helped you out a little bit, even though I'm not offering the same kind of products you do.
Good luck with sales!
BeaG

PS: you make beautiful girl's clothes!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011 11:33:43 AM by BeaG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FrolicPatch

Because every girl needs something to Frolic in

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011 06:19:07 PM »

Thank you very much for the feedback, BeaG. Actually, I hadn't really thought about the compromise option, which is starting to make a ~lot~ of sense now that I consider it. If I'm smart, I might even be able to continue creating designs that have quite a bit of give in the sizes, so that when I make the OOAK creations, they have a variety of possible consumers.

Hmmmm...gives me a lot to think about it.

Thank you again - great advice!

-Jennifer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FrolicPatch.ets y.com
Handmade, original designs for girls.
"Because every girl needs something to Frolic in!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about the Range of Available Lenses - part 1
How to use the AV Mode on Your dSLR
Learn about Depth of Field
Basic Photography Lighting Setups Tutorial
How to use Lighting Ratios in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...