A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,922
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Ice Cream!  (Read 1166 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , peanut_butter , chocolate , pretzel , ice_cream  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnitsyBitsy
« on: May 31, 2005 03:15:38 PM »

Several years ago my favorite ice cream place served the best ice cream I've ever tasted - just once!  To this day I've been going back hoping they would again have chocolate peanut butter pretzel ice cream, but to no avail.

But a few weeks ago I got inspired: I have an ice cream maker, why not try to make it?  The results were delicious!  Here's the informal recipe as I made it:

1 recipe vanilla ice cream (I can give you a recipe if you need one)

About 1/4 cup peanut butter (I used chunky)

A few handfuls of peanut butter pretzels (I used Herr's peanut butter-filled pillow-shaped pretzels.  I imagine Combos would work too.  Worst case, use plain pretzels and add more peanut butter)

1/2 jar hot fudge sauce (unheated)

Prepare the vanilla ice cream, pour it in the ice cream maker, and let it do its thing.  (In other words, follow the instructions from the manufacturer.)  When it is about the consistency of soft-serve ice cream, add the peanut butter and pretzels and let it run about five minutes longer.  Then pour all of the ice cream into a container (make sure the ice cream doesn't come quite to the top) and freeze for 2-3 hours.  At this point, take the ice cream out of the freezer and add the fudge.  Mix gently to create a "ribbon" of fudge.  Now either put back in the freezer, or eat.

Of course, you could add the fudge when the ice cream is still in the ice cream maker, but then it gets blended in rather than being a "ribbon."  Or I suppose you can just use it as a topping too.  Whatever way, it's delicious.  Enjoy!   Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005 04:56:43 PM »

That sounds so darn good!  I shall buy the ingredients tomorrow I think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss.blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
ming
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005 09:27:56 AM »

My husband loves peanut butter, and I love ice cream and chocolate... this sounds like a great combination. I will need to take out my ice cream maker from out in the freezer. Summer is pretty much here already (in west Texas that is!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnitsyBitsy
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005 05:57:12 PM »

It really is a great combination.  Something about treats that are both salty and sweet, like Kettle Korn and Crunch N Munch, are just so good.  This definitely falls into that category.  And chocolate and peanut butter... well, Mr. or Ms. Reese (of the Pieces and Peanut Butter Cups) was really onto something there!

Forgot to mention earlier... Ben & Jerry used to have a flavor that was similar to this called Chubby Hubby (but I like mine better!  Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ming
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005 06:42:01 AM »

Speaking of Reeses, maybe instead of having the separate peanut butter and chocolate fudge, you can cut pieces of the Reeses cups in there instead? Is that what Chubby Hubby is like? I love making my own ice cream, but sometimes it's a hassle to do it. I guess it depends on how badly I want home made ice cream... thank goodness for my Cuisinart ice cream machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selainek
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005 01:25:52 PM »

Do you think the same effect could be had if I let store bought vanilla ice cream get very soft in a large bowl, mixed the pretzels and peanut butter in by hand and then re-froze it? Then used the fudge as a topping?  I don't have an ice-cream machine but this sounds too good.  I'm grasping at straws here people! I'm CRAZY for the sweet/salty combo.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005 01:53:34 PM by selainek » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheenyweeny
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005 01:38:17 PM »

mmm, not only do i love the sweet salty combo, i'm totally digging the various textures! there's four different ones in there - im a texture addict!  Cheesy

i have to have croutons in soup and i even put crisps in my ramen hehe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is like a sandwich, the more u put into it, the better it becomes!

well behaved women rarely make history :p
KnitsyBitsy
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005 11:17:10 AM »

Do you think the same effect could be had if I let store bought vanilla ice cream get very soft in a large bowl, mixed the pretzels and peanut butter in by hand and then re-froze it? Then used the fudge as a topping?  I don't have an ice-cream machine but this sounds too good.  I'm grasping at straws here people! I'm CRAZY for the sweet/salty combo.

Hmm... on one hand I don't see why not.  But on the other hand I'd be a little worried about the ice cream itself after it melts and refreezes.  I've heard that when you let ice cream sit out and melt and then refreeze it the consistency and taste change (for the worse).  But I suppose if you did it under "controlled conditions" it could be fine.  In other words, let it melt a little so it's soft, but make sure it doesn't turn to soup.  Or maybe even just put the ice cream in a food processor when it's still pretty hard and add the pretzels and peanut butter.  That way the food processor should be able to cut through the ice cream pretty well and blend everything together without melting too much.  I would say it's worth a try!  Good luck!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art and The Occult
Artist Uses Smoke to Create Stunning Paintings
Art Worth $30 Million Found in Garage
Free Agents Set It Off in Miami
Piero Della Francesca: Incorporating the Home Into Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...