A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy eating tips and tricks...  (Read 1582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Angelicus
« on: March 07, 2011 08:43:52 AM »

I'm sure that there are a few other people out there who, like me, have a few extra pounds that they want to shift or perhaps just want to start eating more healthily. I was wondering if anyone had any healthy recipes or tips that they'd like to share as inspiration. I'm always looking for new things to try to make everything a bit more varied (especially on the desert side, as I have a very sweet tooth!), so it would be lovely to hear from everybody.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog:thoughtsonbubblesan dstuff.wordpress.co m

Don't frown because someone might be falling in love with your smile.
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011 08:48:09 AM »

carrot sticks and frozen peas make great snacks
i have a really sweet tooth too and that's really rough when i'm trying to drop some weight so i keep sugar free peppermints about the place, then i can have one of them when i feel the need
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Demi_Kitten
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011 04:57:44 AM »

I recommend not giving up your favourite foods. It sounds silly but it works. You see when you diet you give up everything you love (chocolate, mashed potato etc) and within a week you've probably cracked and devoured an entire cake...then you feel guilty and give up the diet, because clearly you couldn't stick to it. I'm using you as a general term, I'm not being personal by the way.
If you eat healthily, less butter in things (there are some really nice spreads that taste just like butter without all the calories) more veg, walk more etc, but also eat the things you like in smaller portions (a chocolate biscuit instead of a chocolate bar) you get to help the craving without feeling guilty.

Also, and this may be totally obvious but it worked for my mum when she was trying to lose weight, just smaller portions, at first you'll be hungry and you need to be strong and not dive for the biscuit tin, but eventually your stomach will shrink and the larger portions you used to eat will be far too much.

I have also seen counselling help, many people have unhealthy attitudes to food, we eat when we're sad and angry, and this can need some help getting us out of the binge eating cycle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Athena: Today I was beat in a weaving contest by a mortal, so I threw a little bit of a hissy fit at her, so she hung herself...long story short she's a spider and everyone thinks I'm a bitch. FML
Lieblings

Fishes Need Kisses!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011 09:07:47 AM »

You should try these macaroons! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=374367.0

They are soooo tasty, no refined sugar, lots of fiber! I have even put in about a 1/4 c of cocoa to make them chocolate-y.

I find that fiber has really really helped me in my weight loss. If you eat white bread, white rice, white pasta, SWITCH IT OUT for whole wheat bread, brown rice, and whole wheat pasta. Even taking fiber supplements if you cannot possibly get enough fiber into your diet naturally.

I also cook ahead of time and freeze portions. My worst habit is getting soooo sooo starving hungry that I will eat anything in sight! Including spoonfuls of peanut butter and spoonfuls of honey (not my proudest moments) so if there is something already cooked that just needs to be heated through, I am far more likely to stick to a diet.

Also, when I first started eating less, I ate about 200-300 calories at 3 hour intervals. It made it so much easier because when I would get hungry I could think to myself "oh, no problem, I get to eat again in an hour" instead of thinking "I'M GOING TO DIE! I NEED TO EAT RIGHT NOW! I DON'T KNOW WHEN I WILL EVER SEE FOOD AGAIN!"

Otherwise, try as many different activities as you can until you find one you enjoy! I used to like running, then I gained about 60 lbs (which I have since lost) and even still I just couldn't get into it again, no matter how often I forced myself out there I just hated it. Try lots of things until one sticks with you and makes you feel good!

Sorry for such a long post! I love weight loss talk now because I'm finally successful at it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jl409
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011 05:18:51 PM »

My mom and I went to a spa recently that focuses on healthy living (not necessarily for losing weight) but some people do go to lose weight and they serve small portions of healthy food.  They recommended putting smaller portions on a small plate (like a salad plate).  Our brains are so used to seeing a big plate full of food and the goal is to trick your brain Smiley.   They served dessert too but again, smaller portions.  I usually put dessert in a coffee cup instead of a plate bc that way,  it looks like more than it really is. 

For food tips- I like to always keep snack baggies in my purse with fresh fruit- grapes or pineapple and I will eat it because it is on hand.  Especially if I go to the movies or other places where I am tempted to get candy and buttered popcorn!! Also, my mom likes those baked oreo chips.  They seem to feed her chocolate craving!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011 06:54:41 AM »

I agree with eating what you eat, just less of it. Portion sizes have gotten completely out of control. Also, eat a major breakfast, lighter lunch, and still lighter dinner. You have all day to work off breakfast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

felix-xx
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011 03:06:56 PM »

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with a whack of stomach problems. Being a post-culinary student the first thing I did was bust out my Nutrition books to see what sorts of things would help his body out a little bit.

As everyone else has said - don't stop eating what you love! You can have one 'treat' a day and always allow yourself a cheat day now and then to make sure you don't go too crazy. I'm not much of a 'sweets' person but I absolutely LOVE salt. I've been known to eat olives out of the jar because I love brine. Chips, popcorn, whatever.

Allowing yourself a little treat of something you love to eat in the midst of eating healthy can make it seem that much more worth it. I always found when I was involved in exercise programs (I take a pilates course at a physiotherapy center) it always cued my healthy habits. I would come home and want to make a salad or some sushi instead of that frozen pizza. A little bag of chips now and then made it's way into my diet but that's the best part!

I find it's easiest to think about what you're doing that's adding a large amount of calories. I stopped drinking carbonated drinks years ago and that's definitely helpful. Cut down on extra calories in sandwiches by using hummus or even avocado as a condiment instead of mayo. When I'm craving fried food I make sweet potato fries. Still not the best, but way more nutritious. I started using olive oil instead of mayonnaise in my tuna sandwiches. It's just as delicious.

A really good resource (if you have it) is a food guide. I'm Canadian, and the government here has done a good job of outlining what portions of what you should be eating. I think there is something similar in the US but I'm not 100% on that.

Hope that helped a little! Sorry if that was too much, I just get really into it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want so badly to believe that there is truth and love is real.
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011 07:36:33 AM »

I do the smaller plate routine. I had been taught to eat off of dinner plates which are huge (10" in diameter) and my mom was never happy unless you started with a full plate and finished with a clean one. About a year ago, I shrank down to a salad plate (7" diameter or so) and then to a cereal bowl.

Now, whenever I look at a "normal" plate of food at a restaurant, my brain immediately says "Whoa! Too much!" where it used to say "Dig in!".

I'm also a fan of carrying dried fruits in my purse for quick snacks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeha
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011 01:35:58 PM »

For a super easy and healthy lunch or dinner.  Start cooking some rice and when it is almost done throw some veggies on top and turn off heat leave it to lightly steam for 10 to 15 minutes. carrots, kale, tofu, mushrooms, broccoli  whatever you have in your fridge. serve with a super herby flavorfull vinigrette and some chili garlic sauce.
Its amazing how many veggies you can eat and still have low calories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cutiemonster
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011 05:41:22 PM »

I probably have the biggest sweet tooth in the entire world.  My fix?  I eat a ton of fruit, and use fruity vinaigrettes sweetened with splenda on my salads.  When you're craving something sweet in the afternoon, you'll be surprised how satisfied you are with just a sweet-tasting salad.  Try this strawberry vinaigrette:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
4-5 frozen or fresh strawberries
black pepper and splenda to taste

whip it all up in a blender and pour it over spinach, and add fresh-cut strawberries or dried cranberries for extra yum!

Also, fruit smoothies with soy or nonfat milk sweetened with splenda are great - a huge dose of fruit and calcium, low or no fat, and it's like having ice cream for a meal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Patch Throw Designs
A Step-By-Step Guide to Doing Your Own Applique
How to Stitch Letters Onto Fabric
How to Make Decorative Roses Out of Ribbon
How to Make a Patriotic Tote Bags
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...