A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vintage needlepoint chart help  (Read 1705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wildanimus

Poking myself with needles.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2011 08:32:08 PM »

Hello!

A little background.  I've been cross stitching for many years and have recently gotten into stitching up pieces from vintage kits.  A while ago, I bought a needlepoint kit from 1973 off ebay that I really liked, even though I've never done needlepoint.  I suppose I thought I could just figure it out.

In theory, this should be easy, except the chart has me going INSANE!  It's largely done in Bargello, which from what I can tell shouldn't be very complicated.  The problem is how the chart is written.  From the directions included in the kit and every online resource I've gone to, each stitch should share a square.  So if I end in one square, the next stitch should start/end in the same square as the last.  Just like cross stitch.  However, the chart shows each stitch as starting/ending in the next square.  This would leave a huge gap in the stitches and I'll be able to see the canvas in between the stitches.

I know this isn't right, and I've tried doing it the way I feel it should be done, except that when I do it that way, it throws the chart off completely.  If I do it the way the chart shows, I'll end up, like I said, with huge gaps between my stitches.

I've included a photo of the chart as reference (you should be able to click on it to zoom in):

Am I looking at this completely wrong?  I really love this kit and want to complete it, so I don't want to just abandon it, but I'm really frustrated.  Hopefully someone can help shed some light on this.  Thank you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely bags, clutches, and home decor!
http://wildanimus.etsy.com

My Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/wildanimus
gatheredthreads
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011 12:34:55 AM »

I don't know how much help I will be, because I can't see the chart very big (I'm on an iPod), but isn't needlepoint essentially just doing the first stitch of a cross stitch, but not the second?

Does it help to think of the chart as pertaining to the junctions in the weave, not the holes?

How is the chart going "off course" if you stitch it the way you think it should be done?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.  ~ Dali
wist
AGFH
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011 08:41:17 AM »

Could you possibly post the pattern again in a larger size?
How is doing it cross stitch style throwing off the design?
I looked all over and all of the  Bargello stitch patterns I see start and stop in the same squares. In fact I don't see any fill stitches that start and stop in adjoining squares, though I may just be missing them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
wildanimus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011 03:01:54 PM »

hello!

apologies for the small photo.  I realized just now you can't click on it to zoom in.  I seemed to be able to last night, but not now.  Here is a close-up of the body of the owl where I'm getting confused.

I really have to believe I'm looking at this all wrong.  In the area where the arrow is pointing, it doesn't look like the stitches are "joining" (I guess you could say).  It looks like one thread color stops in a square and the thread directly above starts in the square above, rather than in the same square. 

As a reference, most bargello needlepoint charts I've seen online look like this:
http://bargelloneedlepoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bargello-charts.jpg 
this shows the stitches starting/ending in the same square. 

The reason I don't know if I can do it the "right" way is because any stitches next to those that aren't the same length won't match the chart and line up correctly.  Ugh...I'm sorry...I realize I'm being completely confusing right now!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011 06:29:08 PM »

I found this-it might help a little
http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniques.com/bargello.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011 01:10:19 PM »

Yikes! I see what you mean.

2 suggestions:-

- are the dark outlines between the colour changes supposed to be stitched in some way to cover the gap? tbh, I can't quite see how that would work though ...

- in the regular bargello chart (where the stitches meet in a square), the grid lines represent the fabric threads, and the squares are the holes. BUT maybe on your pattern the grid lines are representing the gaps between the threads? and the squares are the fabric threads that need to be covered, more like a cross stitch chart? (Like what gathered threads suggested) - so, instead of the stitches going over three threads in your chart, they should be going over four threads, and meeting at the dark outlines? (i.e. the black outlines are where the stitches actually meet, but they've drawn them a little shorter to indicate the direction of the stitches more easily.)  - I think that will probably work.

Good luck Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011 01:28:25 PM by jemimah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wildanimus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011 07:38:32 PM »

kittykill, thanks for the link!  i feel like i'll be an expert in bargello once this is all said and done!

jemimah - thank you!  on the canvas included in the kit, the horizontal threads are "split" so it seems like two threads instead of just one.  i think using the split might be the solution, even if this wasn't what the pattern creator intended.  thank you again - you have been a tremendous help! 

if anyone else has any thoughts, please let me know. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr!
jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011 07:51:50 PM »

You're very welcome Smiley

Hmmm, that sounds like interlock canvas (info here). I'm not so sure about stitching into the split between the thread, it might push the piece out of shape. I'd recommend stitching into the holes.

All the best with it - hope you show us pics when it's done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wildanimus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011 08:01:51 PM »

You're very welcome Smiley

Hmmm, that sounds like interlock canvas (info here). I'm not so sure about stitching into the split between the thread, it might push the piece out of shape. I'd recommend stitching into the holes.

All the best with it - hope you show us pics when it's done Smiley

after looking at my canvas again just now, i realized both the vertical and horizontal threads are split.  according to the link you gave, this is penelope canvas I think.  does that make a difference?  the information i've been reading online suggests this type is canvas is meant to be able stitch in between the threads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr!
jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011 08:39:17 PM »

Honestly, I don't know enough about stitching on canvas to say for sure. But I think you're right, if it's penelope canvas, you should be able to stitch between the threads if you want Smiley.

It's probably all down to how it looks when it's stitched up with your particular canvas gauge and thread weight. I reckon, just give it a go on a patch, and see how it's looking. You'll know soon enough if you're not happy with how it's turning out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Layer Mask in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Metal Button in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Neon Glow in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Blank Document in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Blank Document in InDesign CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...