A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cutting and shaping ceramics -- old plates  (Read 845 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stolenpostcards
unruly girl who will not settle down: must be taken in hand

turn my bones to milk

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2012 02:50:11 PM »

Hi, I'm a newbie, but I have searched I promise!
I have a load of old plates and saucers that are chipped or broken that I wanted to cut up to make into shapes for necklaces, mobiles, wind chimes etc. I have heard the best tool to do this with is a dremel, but apart from that I'm completely in the dark! I have looked on DIY shop websites at them and found a baffling array of 'multitools' and attachments. If anyone could suggest to me which type of tool/attachments I need for this project that would be seriously wonderful.

I also have no idea of what technique to use once I do find out what kit I need! It occurs to me as well that he finished projects would need to be sanded or rounded off at the edges or something or they could be pretty dangerously sharp!
Any advise would be very very welcome!

Thank you massively in advance! xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Turbosaurus
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012 04:39:03 PM »

A dremmel and a multi-tool are basically the same thing.  And they are both very similar to a power drill in process, but different in handle.  there is a "chuck" at the front which is wraped around three clasping pieces that are brought together or apart depending on if you spin the chuck lefty loosy or righty tighty to hold the spindle of your your grinding,/sanding/cutting/drilling tool. They are round on the oustide, and as you tighten the chuck- which is like a collar around them, the three holders come clooser or farther apart to grasp a smaller or larger mandrell that your cutting/sanding/grinding wheel is attached to.  Once in position they spin around.  There are attachments that will flush cut grout or wood, but thats more extensive than you need to know.
Dremmel is a brand name  for milti-tool.  Like q-tip is a brand name for a cotton swab.  All it is is a spinning clasp that will hold various cutting/grinding/cleaning wheels. 

You can cut/grind  plates into chips etc, but expect a lot of chipping, and I am not sure how you will finish the ends so they are not rough cut.  I hope this helps.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Turbosaurus
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012 04:41:23 PM »

I have photos but I cant attach becasue i dont have enough posts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Turbosaurus
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012 04:53:10 PM »

http://www.intertoolsonline.co.uk/prod.php?prod=2269
this is a photo of a "chuck"

Any photo of a dremmel bit should show you how the base of the mandrell is clasped in the chuck.  The round linear shaft of your cutting/sanding attachement (mandrell) is placed in the middle of these clasps- which are collectively called a "chuck".  If it were a power drill the chuck tightens and loosens much more than a dremmel.  On a dremmel tool, the chuck is much smaller, and only holds mandrells of this approximate width.   Whatever head is on the mandrell( be it a sanding wheel a grinding wheel or an etching head) spins around, same thing like a drill bit in a traditional chuck of a power drill.  The only real difference is that a dremmel/multitool had a grip that is paralell to the mandrell, whre a power drill has a handle that is perpendicular.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Turbosaurus
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012 05:00:27 PM »

make a fist, with your tumb on top.

if you were holding a dremmel, the cutting wheel would be paralell to the loop your thumb and forfinger make. 

If you used a power drill, the drill would look like a gun, where it comes up from your fist, then makes a hard 90 degree turn to come forward over your index finger.

either way, the tool simply spins the bit/mandrell.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stolenpostcards
unruly girl who will not settle down: must be taken in hand

turn my bones to milk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012 03:06:23 AM »

Wow, thanks, that's really helpful! Brilliant.

I hadn't realised that a lot of chipping would happen. I wonder if there's any way to minimise this? Possible by clamping? Or by keeping the ceramic object wet? (Total wild guesses on my part, I have nooo idea)

Had anyone else on here ever tried a project like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Derek Haas on What Makes Hollywood Nervous
The Importance of Creative Collaboration
How to Write Scripts in Hollywood
The State of American Screenwriting
How Film Contributed to the American Identity
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...