A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Deodorant - (that works!)  (Read 8930 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , deodorant  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christysaysrawr
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012 05:29:10 PM »

I just made this today! All the ingredients cost me around $10 at Walmart. I made enough to last at least three months if not longer!
And I have enough supplies to make enough deodorant to last me a few years...
Just remember to look for coconut oil in the baking isle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
egg_salady
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013 12:02:13 PM »

I wanted to let you know I made this and it came out terrific! I thought my coconut oil was too squishy, but it did harden up some. I just put mine in a mason jar and apply by hand but next time, I'm going to put it in the tube. The crappy Lady Speed Stick I was using was making my allergies awful. This stuff is chemical free and much easier on the allergies! I did a few drops of eucalyptus and lemongrass essential oils for anti-bacterial properties and it smells so pleasant but doesn't make me sneeze. A little of it rubbed off on my clothes, but not any more than anti per spirants from the drugstore. Love it!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LizzyEU
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013 08:28:46 AM »

Sorry to be harsh and o.k., maybe I'm spoiled by my crystal deodorant, but this is just horrible.

1. White stuff everywhere
2. Greasy
3. Irritates my skin (with the PH of baking soda and my sensitive skin, I'm not surprised)
4. Doesn't work, in fact, seems to make me sweat worse (and doesn't make me smell any less).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013 08:34:20 AM by LizzyEU » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LizzyEU
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013 08:30:22 AM »

I am coursed with eczema Cry. All the new 24 hour deodorants trigger it. The rash spreads everywhere and lasts up to 3 to 4 weeks sometimes. Just from using a new deodorant one time I feel like I slept in a ant hill.Hopefully this won't irritate my skin.

Try crystal deodorant (alum), at least that stuff doesn't leave stains on everything. And works significantly better than this after your body adjusts to it, and doesn't disrupt the Ph of your skin.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013 08:33:17 AM by LizzyEU » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013 10:28:49 PM »

Sorry to be harsh and o.k., maybe I'm spoiled by my crystal deodorant, but this is just horrible.

1. White stuff everywhere
2. Greasy
3. Irritates my skin (with the PH of baking soda and my sensitive skin, I'm not surprised)
4. Doesn't work, in fact, seems to make me sweat worse (and doesn't make me smell any less).

Well, by definition a deodorant doesn't make you sweat less, that's what an anti-perspirant is for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
LizzyEU
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013 08:01:36 AM »

Well, by definition a deodorant doesn't make you sweat less, that's what an anti-perspirant is for.

Well duh. But it's not supposed to make you sweat worse, or smell bad quicker than without any. Maybe it's just my skin's reaction to the soda, I don't know but I washed it off after an hour-two tops yesterday and my armpits still felt itchy this morning. Granted it's hot here, but still, that's not supposed to be... Lips sealed
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013 08:03:52 AM by LizzyEU » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013 09:33:38 PM »

I'm not sure the "duh" is necessary , by what you said it's clear that you expected it to make you sweat less ("in fact, it seems to make me sweat worse"). If you had said "it doesn't work, it seems to make me smell worse," then it would sound like you understood the definition.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013 09:34:14 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
LizzyEU
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013 01:41:51 PM »

I'm not sure the "duh" is necessary , by what you said it's clear that you expected it to make you sweat less ("in fact, it seems to make me sweat worse"). If you had said "it doesn't work, it seems to make me smell worse," then it would sound like you understood the definition.

Not sure I want to take this thread off-topic (from the comments, it looks like other people's bodies react positively to it, and whatever works for everyone, right), but I'll just clarify my train of thought and then stop about this. I wrote: "4. Doesn't work, in fact, seems to make me sweat worse (and doesn't make me smell any less).". The doesn't work bit regards the deodorant effect, the sweating worse is what I noticed on top of that and then I added the bit between the brackets because I felt the sentence should clarify what I mean by that it doesn't work. Seeing how deodorant (de-odour-ant) originates from a very different root from antipersperant (anti-persper(ation)-ant) I didn't really see how there can be any confusion at the time, but apparently there can, so thanks for calling my attention to that. Not being a native speaker has its limitations, I guess: in my native tongue that sentence construction would work easily.

You're absolutely right to distinguish between the two, of course; while antipersperants can have their function (for instance in people with extremely sweaty hands, where shaking hands is a problem, or during long travels where you can't rightly change your shirt), the whole idea of deliberately blocking your pores is a bit, well, unnatural.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013 01:46:43 PM by LizzyEU » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Torisaurus
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013 04:41:11 PM »

I'm going to try this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Tie Dye
How to Make a Camouflage Tie Dye
How to Tie Dye Patterns on a Skirt
How to Create Stripes in Tie Dye
How to Create a Rainbow in Tie Dye
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...