A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green ChuChu from the Legend of Zelda  (Read 884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2011 12:08:13 PM »

Here's my most recent amigurumi: a green Chuchu! I decided to make him tiny by using embroidery thread (all 6 strands).  He took me forever to do: not because he was hard, but because I just don't have much crafting time (maybe 1-2 hours a week) right now.  Otherwise I probably would've finished him in less than a week.  I used a B/1/2.25mm hook as that was the smallest hook I had, although as you can see, I could've gone smaller.  Even though you can see the stuffing, it isn't coming out, and I love him anyway 'cause he's so cute!  Grin  Still getting the hang of stuffing though...does anyone have any tips? More stuffing? Less stuffing? Make stuffing more condensed? Less condensed?  Anywho, thanks for looking!

He stands just short of a standard highlighting marker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calixita
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011 12:19:22 PM »

Great job!  Seriously impressive detail on something so small!
I have no idea what a ChuChu is but I love his eyes!!  I need to learn how to embroider!
I have the same problem with the stuffing so I'm interested in what advice you get.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011 12:25:31 PM »

Great job!  Seriously impressive detail on something so small!
I have no idea what a ChuChu is but I love his eyes!!  I need to learn how to embroider!
I have the same problem with the stuffing so I'm interested in what advice you get.

The eyes are actually small crocheted circles that are sewn on.  The only embroidery is the purple "bags" under the eyes and the smile.  I just did a simple stem stitch for those. Easy peasy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pigeonweed
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011 01:06:29 PM »

I squeed when I saw the thumbnail! I especially love what you did with the eyes.

For something so small though, you might want to use a smaller hook so it doesn't leave large holes. I personally use a size 10 hook / 1.20.

As for stuffing, it helps to stuff amigurumi as you work. Start stuffing when you get to a decreasing row. It helps keep the shape and the stuffing even. The decreasing row following keeps the stuffing in. You can use any available equipment with some sort of broad or flat surface like pens or the tip of your scissors(?) or even a comb to smush it. I don't think you needed it for this project. Whatever you tried, it worked really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calixita
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011 02:41:12 PM »

Ah!  I thought the purple ring was all embroidery! 
I do a lot of beadweaving with tiny seed beads but haven't mastered crocheting anything this small.  I am impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011 01:38:35 PM »

I squeed when I saw the thumbnail! I especially love what you did with the eyes.

For something so small though, you might want to use a smaller hook so it doesn't leave large holes. I personally use a size 10 hook / 1.20.

As for stuffing, it helps to stuff amigurumi as you work. Start stuffing when you get to a decreasing row. It helps keep the shape and the stuffing even. The decreasing row following keeps the stuffing in. You can use any available equipment with some sort of broad or flat surface like pens or the tip of your scissors(?) or even a comb to smush it. I don't think you needed it for this project. Whatever you tried, it worked really well!

Thanks for the stuffing tips! I did look at purchasing a smaller hook, but my local store only had the entire set of steel hooks and it was too expensive to justify buying the whole set.  So I went with this one...funny enough the top of the head is actually nice and tight (can't see the stuffing), but as I crocheted my tension must've gotten a bit looser.

Ah!  I thought the purple ring was all embroidery! 
I do a lot of beadweaving with tiny seed beads but haven't mastered crocheting anything this small.  I am impressed!

It wasn't that bad, actually! The hardest part was trying not to split the strands!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Full Brows
Custom Velvet Eyelashes at the Douglas Hannant FW 2014 Show
How Can You Find Your Sexy Scent?
A Mother’s Day Gift of Youth
Get Marilyn Monroe’s Red Lip Look
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...