A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,957
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugh, ever have one of THOSE spinning days? *vent*  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: March 05, 2011 09:58:45 PM »

Ever have a day where you just want to spin and relax, and the universe is telling you to just put all fiber away and forget about it?

I was all jazzed up to try one of the techniques from Jacey Boggs' DVD.  I grabbed some new merino roving I just ordered.  Now I've spun merino several times before, but this stuff is just crazy slippery and driving me crazy.  So I ditched the idea of trying the new technique (cocoons) and thought I'd just spin the fiber instead.  Even that was a total pain in the a$$.  Just too slippery for me, and I'm too frustrated to mess with it anymore tonight.  I totally hate how the yarn is turning out.

I think I'll throw that fiber into my "spin it later" stash, and just grab some more familiar fiber when I feel brave enough to try some new techniques again.

That's the trouble with watching a video made by someone who makes it look so effortless.  I was all psyched to give it a go, and then just struggled with the slippery new fiber.  Now, I know Jacey Boggs only makes it look effortless because she has spun jillions and jillions of yarns, so I know that's what I need to do too.

Anyway, I imagine a few out there might have similar feelings every now and then.  Grr...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011 06:10:30 PM »

you are totally not alone.  Slippery fibers drive me nuts. And short fibers to.  It also drives me nuts when I sit down at my wheel and the phone rings.  I get through that convo, then the spin a yard or two, and have the phone ring.  grrr.  that's about the time I just give up, 'cause I only get 2 hours a night to sit and spin....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011 07:24:23 PM »

I hear ya!  That fiber is going to be put out of sight, along with the partial bobbin.  It's still making me mad.

I think instead of spinning, my next fiber-related project might be to dye some roving.  For me, that's always fun and satisfying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Angry Hippie
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011 09:54:22 AM »

YES YES YES!
I spent 2 days and a lot of fiber trying to get coreless core spinning to work.... I give up!  Between the frustration of it just not working and the fact me and the kids are sick, hubby is "man sick" and filled with neeeeeeeds every 5 minutes i was ready to go mad.   The sad thing is this it like my 3rd round with coreless over the past year and i still haven't gotten it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011 06:43:03 PM »

I spent 2 days and a lot of fiber trying to get coreless core spinning to work.... I give up! 

Have you watched Jazzturtle's video on coreless corespinning? The beginning has a quick bit on auto-wrappping but then she goes into coreless. I haven't tried it yet but she explained it well and watching it really helped me understand how to go about it...I only had vague ideas before about coreless. Her videos are always good and I find them very helpful! http://jazzturtlecreations.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-do-i-do-it-coreless-corespinning.html

Oh, and yes! I have had one of those days...more than one, lol! Either interruptions galore or the fiber not doing what I was hoping for (it's never a user error, I'm sure of it! lol). Ug, those days suck! They're usually the days when you start out really excited to spin or just really wanting/needing to spin for sanity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011 01:23:46 PM »

Oh, Hippie, man-sick is the worst.  I hope your family's all feeling better by now.

Coreless corespinning?  I've never heard of that!  WMA, I'm gonna have to check out that video link.

I have some pretty heinous experimental yarns this week.  Should be good for a chuckle or two if I decide to post pics.  My gut reaction was to throw them into the garbage, but I suppose I should keep them as a way of documenting my progress as a spinner.

The good news is that I dyed some roving yesterday, and the colors turned out just the way I was imagining them in my head.  Now I just hope I'll manage to spin the fiber well and wind up with a good yarn. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/3
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Chain Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 7/7
How to Crochet a 3D Ripple Stitch Part 4/7
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...