A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renaissance faire favors?  (Read 3154 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Writer78
« on: May 31, 2005 12:54:31 PM »

I have been a faire enthusiast since 2002, so I'm just embarking upon my fourth summer of happily playing dress-up in public at 27 years old.

Somehow, I failed to learn about the concept of favors until this year.  The idea is that you bring along little decorated pins and then give them to your faire friends or others at the faire who impress you.  (People also just buy/make/wear them for decoration; it doesn't have to come to you as a gift.)  I bought one from a leather goods vendor; he had taken a little circle of leather, stamped an image of a smiling sun, and hot-glued it to a pin, along with some pretty feathers.  It's perhaps two inches high and an inch wide.  He told me to wear it on the sleeve or to add ribbons hanging from my belt and clip favors onto them.

And so now we get around to my question - does anyone out there make these or have some that they bought or received at faires?  Got any pictures?  (I know, it's lame of me to ask without providing one myself, but I don't have a digital camera.)  What materials do you recommend?  How big is "too big"?  Any advice on making these?  I would like to create a few to either wear on my sleeves or distribute at faires as the mood strikes me.  If anyone out there makes them and wants to swap, perhaps we could set something up.

Thanks for reading!  Any input would be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollydaze

Best things I ever made.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005 01:29:01 PM »

Girl Scouts make small pins and call any and all pins that they give away or trade Special Whatchamacallits Affectionally Pinned Somewhere (swaps).  Most of them have GS themes, but here's an idea that would work for renfaire favors:

Mini hand-dipped candles:

Melt wax by placing a container, glass jar will do, in a skillet of  water over medium heat, to color wax use crayons.  Cut a 6" lenght or thread, string, dental/embroidery floss and thread through the loop of pin. Tie a washer on both ends of string. Dip in wax to desired size. Hang to cool then cut the washers off.

You can come up with a better crafty idea to put something behind the candles and mount that on a pinback.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're not totally at the mercy of the wind, or of life.  Wind is essentially a chaotic phenomenon, but you can still sail in it.
Writer78
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005 06:32:23 AM »

Thanks, hollydaze!  BTW, I put the favor from my recent faire into the scanner and came up with an image so y'all can see what I'm talking about.  (Disclaimer:  I did not make this and am not taking credit for it; I bought it from a guy at the Ren Boots shop at the Greater St. Louis Renaissance Faire.)

Hopefully there are some other rennies out there; PM me!  If you want, we can swap favors/tokens!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010 06:31:39 PM by jungrrl - Reason: tried to fix pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Writer78
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005 06:54:30 PM »

Still hoping to kick up some interest in ren faire accessories!  Here are three pins I made in recent weeks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

summrgirl
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005 10:22:24 PM »

I went to the ren faire a couple years ago and one of the performers gave me a rosette pin. All it was was a blue ribbon gathered to form a rosette with a small blue rose in the middle (the ribbon kind that look like little wedding ones). It also had some blue ribbons hanging down that were attached to the back. I can't take a pic of it because I'm not sure where it is lol. I hope you can picture what I'm talking about because it was really cute and easy to make Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pandaseal
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006 07:33:31 PM »

Sorry to dreg up an old topic. I'm headed to my first Faire this summerand want to make some favours. Any more Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006 06:32:21 PM »

I was doing bits of blackwork on handkerchiefs (for people I care a lot for my blackwork is a lot of work right now).  And appliqued napkins with my serpent and my other half's lance(the serpent climbing the lance, and the lance point going up.).  I have seen ceramics molded as thistles and Tudor roses turned into pins (also seen them as cast pewter) Also enamel work, short strings of hand made glass beads (lampwork is fun, but we haven't a safe place to do it anymore. And had been borrowing a torch)  Bits of lace (or lace edged handkerchiefs) and handwoven ribbons are all things I've seen.

help any?

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006 06:39:25 PM »

ooh, I've never heard of faire favours (though i have made many a girlscout swap). I should ask my computer teacher about them. He used to work at the BARF, and his mother and father work there still. (coolest family EVER, they are!)
It would be neat to make these favour things with natural materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006 09:51:05 AM »

I've made a bunch a favors, for Fair, SCA and LARP use.  Reasons for givingone vary from "you are a good friend" and "you are a member of the same household/company I am" to "you did something neat and I want to show folks how much I appreciate it or liked it" or even the historical "you are fighting in my honor/name here's something to show my support and inspire you"

Reasons vary...almost as much as the favors themselves.

Most of us folks whit to much time on our hands (aka those obnoxious purists  Grin ) use natural materials mostly because they are easier to use and last longer.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
pandaseal
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006 07:35:59 PM »

Cool ideas. I'm implementing the ribbon one right now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Journal
How to Make Your Own Clay
How to Make Your Own Disco Ball
How to Find Glass Blowing Classes
How to Find Glass Blowing Jobs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...