A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Granny Square Swap  (Read 4075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2011 04:59:50 PM »

There has been a granny-a-day crochet along going on on the crochet along board. I began this granny fun in
April of 2010. To celebrate a full year of granny-a-days I wanted to organize a granny square swap for April 2011! I am still trying to figure out how to do it.

I was first thinking about we each do a certain number of squares of the same size and in a acrylic yarn. Then send all the squares to me and then I can send one of each out to all the partcipants. If we do it that way we'd have to add a shipping fee too. Maybe you could send a paid for label addressed to yourself for the return shipping. Hmm...
Then you would piece together your afghan and share pictures.

I think the result we be very cool.

Please share your ideas!

This swap swap might be useful on how to organize it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011 06:03:46 PM by BabyCakes8510 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandys_momma
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011 05:54:44 PM »

I wanna participate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011 06:03:40 PM »

i'd be into this too! Maybe we could each send out one square to each person? Hmmm, tricky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011 06:11:34 PM »

That sounds pretty cool. I'm pretty sure it's against the swap rules for everyone to send to the organizer and then have them redistribute though. I could be wrong cause it's been a while since I read the rules.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
schultebunny
~*~ Little Firefighter Girl ~*~

It's not a matter of size, but a matter of heart.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011 09:55:15 PM »

Why not include an already self-addressed, self-stamped envelope or something of the like, that's the same size as what you sent everything out in? We do that at work, when sending out Customer Evaluation surveys. It's already paid for (and there wasn't anything against it in the rules...), and all the organizer has to do is redistribute, and it's been done before, with the altered puzzle piece swap.
How big would the granny squares be though? If the squares were relatively small, like around 6", then that would be pretty neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Working on getting back into swaps after some crazy two years!~

Please help me with my "patchwork" station blanket! I would love to get fire department patches! Thanks!
stillatthetop
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011 11:18:46 PM »

New to crochet a longs, but I love granny squares.

How about just partnering up members based on their color scheme/size preferences? As in, a member says, "I want 6" squares, and I like blues, golds, and white. I can make 6" squares in orange, grey, black, yellow, brown, silver, and/or purple".

Not all members have a giant stash of colors (even though granny squares use little bits), and some members may not wish for a rainbow color afgan, pillow, wallhanging... whatever they choose the squares to use for.

Or, hey... partner people who send the raw yarns to a partner, and that partner does a size they request, in return for sending their own yarns to be crochet into what they wish for. Like 16 squares for a pillow, or one giant granny type thing.

Or you could start one of those play along threads, where each member just sends one square to the member above them (last post) type of thing, and the last poster tells what size they wish for. When they send, they can sign up again for a new square. That saves double postage.

Just my thoughts.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011 07:50:27 AM »

These are all great ideas!

My thoughts were not really to set a color rule because I thought it should be a representation of the maker. SO when the afghan was completed it would be a bunch of pieces of new friends. I suppose that might be a turn off for some but I wanted to celebrate each individual that participates.

I don't believe it is against the rules to send to the organizer (I participated in something smaller once.) I will absolutely make sure before I finalize any plans like that though. I do think that self addressed postage would be the best way to go. It would also save each participant the expense of sending to many different people.

I am still thinking about how to work out the partners situation and how many squares. It would be worth it unless there were enough squares at the end to make a afghan about the size of a throw blanket. I would think that the square size would be somewhere in the 6" or 7" range. That also will be important when deciding how many squares.

I am glad that there is intrest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011 09:17:29 AM »

I participated and enjoyed Friendship Granny Square swap and how it was organized.

Depending on the timing, I would love to join (as a swap addict I already have a few future swaps lined up). Grin

You can NOT send all the items to the organizer to be redistributed.  It is in the Craftster Swap Info Guide under "All About Organizing a Swap" in the "Some special rules for swaps" section. 
Swaps in which all swapped items are sent to the organizer for distribution back to the swappers are not allowed. Swapped items must be sent directly from swapper to swapper
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011 09:22:08 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011 09:46:48 AM »

Tombstone junkie and Granny-along regular= 'I'm your Huckleberry...'... Grin

Just say when...I'm there! =]
Thank you, BaBycakes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

Crochet, Chainmail, Amtgard, Theatre-I do that.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011 08:29:21 PM »

Count me in, too, BabyCakes! Cheesy

Actually, it might be kind of cool for our April Granny A Day to be the ones we swap...That way we have additional motivation to actually do at least one a day. I know that the idea of being the swapper who fails to send her stuff out on time is more than enough motivation for me! (I REFUSE to be that person....Absolutely refuse!!! LOL!)

Besides that, if we do one or two every day, that should give us more than enough to send one out to everyone who signs up. Just a thought. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glittered Christmas Ornaments
How to Use a Scanner to Make Holiday Cards
How to Make a Christmas Card Scrapbook
How to Make Gingerbread Men Christmas Ornaments
How to Make Christmas Stockings with Kristin Chenoweth
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...