A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not sure about the colours... opinions wanted!  (Read 1383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

korok

Whoever dies with the most fabric wins!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2011 04:42:39 PM »

I am not sure about my quilt.  I need some help/opinions.
I am not sure about the colours.  I love colour, and I am using Anna Maria Horner's little folks voiles.  I bought a bunch of fabrics I loved from the line, many greens and yellows, and reds and pinks.  I thought they looked good together, but now I'm not so sure.  I think it may be a bit too deep mustardy overall.  I have more fabric I can cut - should I cut more reds and pinks, and take out the mustardy colour?  Maybe I need to sleep on it?  Thoughts?  Please be honest! (right now it's just wonky rectangles sticking on their own to batting on the wall)

See the really deep mustardy colour near the top right corner (the block with white stripes down it)?  That's the one I'm not sure about.

I think it looks better on the computer than on the wall... 
Maybe the burnt orange wall colour isn't helping.  The quilt will go in a light green room.

I would appreciate any feedback you can give me!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011 04:52:49 PM »

I think it looks wonderful! It does "read" very orange and yellow, so maybe if that's not quite what you were going for you could replace some of the mustards. I think it's great though! Do you have any more of that blue? I think it's lovely but only see a few pieces of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011 04:57:44 PM »

The light blue with the squarish pattern?  Or the vibrant teal?  I have a bit more of it.  I thought I'd try just a few squares and see if they stood out too much, but I don't find that they do.

Also, the batting they are stuck to right now is a natural batting, and I'll be using white for the actual quilt (I couldn't access the white this afternoon and I couldn't wait to set the blocks out!) Would that make much of a difference at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011 04:59:24 PM »

The teal I think. Dark with the white vertical lines? I don't think the white will change the overall look too much, it looks pretty white right now on my monitor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011 05:05:39 PM »

Yes, I do have more of the teal with white stripes.  I think I'll cut more blocks from it.  Maybe I'll take the fabrics to the bedroom where the quilt will go and see what colours are the best, and go from there - I compared them all in that room originally, maybe I'll use more of the best colours.

Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011 05:19:42 PM »

No prob! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011 07:09:33 PM »

I think your colors look wonderful! Though, I can understand how you may feel that they are a little washed out and yellow... But it should look really pretty in the light green room... Another option you may consider (to help the colors really really pop) is to go with a darker color on the background of the quilt instead of white. I think a brown or even a dark green would go well with all the colors in the quilt as well as go well with the walls of the room, but then again, I don't know what color furniture you have in there either ^_~
Also, I think the blue squares are kind of distracting since there are so few of them and their value doesn't match the rest of the colors found in the quilt. Personally, I would get rid of those blocks and use the other fabrics already used in the quilt.
Other than that, I think your colors are well balanced throughout and I actually like the yellow/orange-ness because it will really be a great color feature in the room! I can't wait to see this completed! Cheesy Good luck with figuring out what you want to do Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
waggonswest

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011 07:25:42 PM »

I like it.  You don't see much mustard and it is a neat change from the usual.  I really like the teal and would add some more of those if you feel it is too pale.  Otherwise, I'd "finish up and move on".  It will be loved no matter what you do.  Those wonky blocks are fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011 08:35:47 PM »

You really do need more teal, I'll just chime in my agreement with everyone else.  Either add more or remove the few you have.  It's darker tone than everything else, and it looks odd if you only have a few.

Also, I'm afraid I don't like the wavy blocks. I think the pattern is too large and reads funny from far away.  I'd replace those, if I were you.  (Um, or you could piece the light bits into one square, and piece dark bits into another and still use the colors) However, you know, that's just my opinion - feel free to ignore it. I myself am not very adventurous with my color choices... I don't want to inflict my hesitations onto others!

That said, I love the colors. And the different sizes of rectangles. I think it will look great when it's done.  And I love mustard yellow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011 05:06:17 PM »

Thanks for all the opinions!  I appreciate the honesty and now I get to look at it from different viewpoints.  I am happy I took pictures of it because last night our basement flooded, and the quilt is ok, but some blocks fell off and I may not see it finished for awhile.  Our basement has had the carpet and baseboard ripped off, and they're coming tomorrow to cut off the bottom 2 feet of drywall.  Water is still coming in, but once it gets to an inch high, it stops.  But there's so much groundwater it will just come in again until.  Once things settle down a bit I will get back to work on my quilt, and when it's done, it will be a nice comfort during this basement fiasco.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
May 4th: Kiss & Sell
Young British Artist Kitty Clark Talks About the YBAs and Her Artwork
Young British Artist Joe Steele Talks About the Original YBAs
Young British Artist Adham Faramawy Talks About YBAs and His Work
Young British Artist Edward Fornieles Talks About His Work and the YBAs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...