A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrift Store Question  (Read 11146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009 09:50:56 AM »

What's up with Goodwill and special events gowns & clothing?I was looking at a gown that was completely covered in beads of all colors.I looked at the price & nearly fainted!They wanted $70 for that gown. Roll Eyes.And a lot of the gowns are there for months.Looks to me if they want to have turnarounds on that kind of clothes they would price them so people could afford them. Undecided.I'm mean the reason a lot of people (especially now days) are buying at thrift shops is because most people can't afford the prices retail stores charge.I could go to a retail store & buy a brand new gown for the same price for goodness sake.The reason I wanted that gown it had enough beads to supply a lot of my crafts for years. Sad.Sorry to rant but that really ticked me off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009 02:15:57 AM »

I've noticed that prices are getting pretty high in the local charity shops for nice clothes (in the UK) too.  I don't know where people who are very poor are supposed to shop here.  ASDA (owned by Walmart) I suppose, I guess they're just expected to wear clothes that fall apart after 3 washes! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SharaLavallee
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009 11:42:00 AM »

Never hurts to ask the ladies!

Last time, I went to St. Vincent looking for clothing (men's shirts, etc) to cut up for quilting. (I was on vacation and desperate to do something.) Well, my mom just asked the lady there if she'd give us a deal. Since there was an overstock on dress shirts, the cashier said we could have as many as we wanted for a $1 a piece. So for about $20, I was able to salvage a huge variety of fabric plus a lot of buttons.

Nearby there is also a Frenchy's. (Nova Scotia Thrift Store) which sells fabric for $1 a meter regardless of its original worth. Satin, cotton, eyelet, knit, they don't care. Which is so cool.  Smiley Whenever I feel down, I go buy a meter's worth and daydream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010 08:07:39 PM »

Our GW puts all the fabric in the $1.49 bin.  I don't often find good stuff there, but recently found a sample / half curtain from target with large lime & gray flower prints on it.  It's designated for a tote bag down the line.  Actually, their best stuff generally comes from Target.  Their prices tend to be far too high on everything else.
Our local St. Vincents stores usually have the best selection of fabric.  One of the stores here will even measure it out before they tag it.  The downside is that their clothes tend to be nasty - worn out, dated and over priced.
I also found a lot of older fabric at an estate sale last week.  Most of it was poly-knit, but there was a three yard section of wool that I got for 50 cents!  They had forgotten to mark it with the rest of the fabric...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

niftyweaver
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010 04:51:29 PM »

Good will is really not a good source of fabric, but a lot of the smaller non-chain not-for-profit thrift stores that are popping up in this crappy economy have great craft sections!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veronica91
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011 02:03:03 PM »

Going to the second day of a rumage sale when they have a bag sale is a time for great finds. Go early and grab anything that catches your eye then retreat to a corner,sort through your finds and fold them neatly into your bag. put the rejects back and start again. Jeans are a great resource for re purposing. I made a wall curtain for a kids room and included pockets to hide treasures. Did the same for a duvet cover. I cut the items first then wash only the useable fabric, also saving buttons and zippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cindyjob
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011 04:39:15 PM »

Great ideas here! I am just learning to be a good thrift store shopper and to develop the patience and eye for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Drawing with the PolyStar Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Drawing with the Oval Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Drawing with the Rectangle Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Working with a Stylus and a Tablet
Macromedia Flash 8 - Painting Using the Various Brush Modes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...