A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What size to make baby sweater?  (Read 2083 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EllaRain
« on: March 05, 2011 10:44:10 AM »

A friend of mine is expecting and I would like to knit a Knitting Pure and Simple Easy Baby Cardigan for her. My problem is that I am not sure what size to make it. The baby is due in June and I would like her/him to be able to wear the sweater during her/his first winter. The pattern has options for newborn, 6 months, 12 months & 18 months corresponding to chests of 18, 20, 22, 24 inches and length of 9, 10, 11, and 12 inches.
I tried to look at size charts to see whether or not the average 6 month old fit into 6 month old clothing or even whether the 6 month size of this pattern is the typical 6 month clothing size; but I was having trouble figuring it all out. Huh
I was hoping that maybe someone who has had children or knit for children or maybe even knit this cardigan could help me. I have never made baby clothing before and I would really like this to be a usable garment.
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011 03:27:11 PM »

An average baby can usually wear a 6mo size by the time they're 3 or 4 months, and some larger ones can't wear newborn size for more than a week, then they're into the 3 mo size. So make a large 6 mo size (go up in needle size and make the length and sleeves a little longer) or the 12 mo size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011 02:38:33 AM »

I agree with soozeq.  I had a boy in September and by three months, he was wearing 6 month clothing and now, at five 1/2 months, he's wearing 12 month clothing.  I'd suggest the 12 month size - it may be big at first, but depending on where you live, winter can be a long season.  12 months would give the baby room to grow and trust me, the mama will be happier that way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllaRain
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011 10:06:45 AM »

Thank-you. I started making it at the twelve months size but after finishing the collar it seemed so big that I was not sure. . I will go ahead with the 12 month size  Smiley.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011 09:26:56 AM by EllaRain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
studiomarlowe
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011 12:19:53 PM »

Another thing to consider (though it sounds like you've already done a good bit of the knitting) would be to wait until the baby is born and then you'll know whether he/she is larger than average.  I have actually had friends whose kids were into 9 month sizes by a few months, in those cases even a 12 month size might not see much wear for a June baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.studiomarlowe.c om: crafty blogging and original handknitting patterns
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make White Chocolate-Cherry Bark
Sugar-Roasted Plum Recipes
Light Mini Donut Recipe
How to Make Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding
Raw Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...